Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Chad and Nick Johnson, Bobby Robins and Mike Moore

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
I dont get it.

Per capgeek, these new contracts for these "providence vets" put our contracts plus RFAs at 50 already.

Cohen already signed overseas even though we qualified, so I am pretty sure we can keep his rights without him counting on the reserve list?

If so, that leaves us just one more slot, pending sending either Subban or Camara, or both back to juniors as overagers to free up 1 or 2 extra slots.

Not sure I like this use of our remaining contracts.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
He's listed as 6'3", 195lbs and he just turned 27 years old.

Here is The Hockey News' scouting report:

Assets:
Has excellent size for the goaltending position at the National Hockey League level. Is capable of dominating at lower levels. Is also capable of coming into games cold, which adds value.

Flaws:
Could stand to fill out his 6-3 frame even more in order to maximize his puck-stopping upside for the National Hockey League level. Also needs more consistency in his game.

Career Potential:
Backup goaltender with a little upside.

10 GP 1.97 GAA .929SV%

Good NHL numbers

Small sample of course

I saw that too and quickly thought of Anton Khudobin only bigger. I haven't seen Johnson play, I don't think so.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Johnson will get a shot at a bottom 6 role. I'd bet he sees at least a handful of games in Boston. Definite Claude type of player.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Good move. Svedberg needs more development time. You saw the return Cory Schneider just got, and reports were it could have been even more than that. Svedberg's regular season AHL numbers were Rask-like, but his postseason was terrible. Another year, another playoff run and he will get better.

One thing people should keep in mind about his post season was the # of games he played and I'm surprised the Bruins didn't give him more rest. The kid had been used to 20 - 30 games in Sweden, then the B's play him in 48. My guess is he got worn out.

SportsRacer21

Mar 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
Johnson will get a shot at a bottom 6 role. I'd bet he sees at least a handful of games in Boston. Definite Claude type of player.

Nick Johnson could surprise and win the 3rd line RW job. He put up decent numbers in a similar role with Minnesota two years ago (8 G, 18 A in 77 games behind Heatley and Setoguchi). He also played well when he got called up in Phoenix (4 G, 2 A in 17 games) on pretty much a 4th line role but Tippett didn't seem to give him much of a chance for some reason. He could also be ideal 13th forward since most of he other 13th forward candidates are young kids who could use some more seasoning in Providence (other than Caron and Fraser).

Also, most Coyotes fans would have been fine with keeping Chad Johnson as their back-up, he played very well (albeit in limited playing time) in Phoenix and I think he could have similar success in Boston behind another good defensive system and team.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Congrats to Bobby Robins I know its 2 way and he likely wont get called up but the guy is as tough as they come and has worked his ass off to get where he is. Played for my local team here in Belfast 4 years ago great guy always had time for the fans after games.

You never know he could get the call against teams fielding a bunch of goons.

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
Probably unlikely, unless they can somehow call him up for some late season throwaway games in April, but I hope Robins can play at least one NHL game. Guy deserves it.

Alaska

40 Below
Jul 25, 2012
Fairbanks, AK
Nick Johnson could surprise and win the 3rd line RW job. He put up decent numbers in a similar role with Minnesota two years ago (8 G, 18 A in 77 games behind Heatley and Setoguchi). He also played well when he got called up in Phoenix (4 G, 2 A in 17 games) on pretty much a 4th line role but Tippett didn't seem to give him much of a chance for some reason. He could also be ideal 13th forward since most of he other 13th forward candidates are young kids who could use some more seasoning in Providence (other than Caron and Fraser).

Also, most Coyotes fans would have been fine with keeping Chad Johnson as their back-up, he played very well (albeit in limited playing time) in Phoenix and I think he could have similar success in Boston behind another good defensive system and team.

Yotes fans weren't happy with Labarbara as he lost sight of too many pucks and let easy ones in. He got benched in favor of CJ who looked better in practice. Got his first SO in that first Yotes game. Portland pirates defense couldn't get it together early in the season and the goalie paid the price with his stats. When they did finally get it together the lockout ended and defense suffered when players like Oliver Eckman Larson went back to the Coyotes.

Had Labarbara been on a two way, CJ would have stayed number two. Labarbara now with Oilers.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pretty much every Yote fan wanted to see C. Johnson back as backup for Smitty. I'd even keep him as a platoon goalie if Smith walked. He was fundamentally sound and played great in what limited action he saw with the Coyotes. Working with Sean Burke really helped him.

Nick Johnson was wildly successful his first few games, then just totally disappeared. I'm not sure what it was, but the bottom 6 in Phoenix isn't known for offense. Great hustle guy and can score. Watch his goal vids from last year. Doesn't look like a borderline NHL player.

Both great pickups for the Bruins.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
He wanted a chance at more ice time and felt he can get it in Carolina due to Wards knee woes.

I'm aware of his aspirations, just struck me as odd to see him sign as a backup at less than a milion eventually instead of getting a better paid starting job in the KHL, if Ward's healthy he's the starter no doubt. Thought there might have been something else to it, haven't had much time to peruse the board lately.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Pretty much every Yote fan wanted to see C. Johnson back as backup for Smitty. I'd even keep him as a platoon goalie if Smith walked. He was fundamentally sound and played great in what limited action he saw with the Coyotes. Working with Sean Burke really helped him.

Nick Johnson was wildly successful his first few games, then just totally disappeared. I'm not sure what it was, but the bottom 6 in Phoenix isn't known for offense. Great hustle guy and can score. Watch his goal vids from last year. Doesn't look like a borderline NHL player.

Both great pickups for the Bruins.

Thanks for your information. It sounds like Nick Johnson could compete well for the third line RW spot open in Boston.

There are a number of players in the organization who could fill that RW spot this year. I think the Bruins are done with acquisitions and will just see who wins the job in training camp.

The primary candidates are:

Reilly Smith
Nick Johnson
Matt Fraser
Jared Knight
Jordan Caron

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm aware of his aspirations, just struck me as odd to see him sign as a backup at less than a milion eventually instead of getting a better paid starting job in the KHL, if Ward's healthy he's the starter no doubt. Thought there might have been something else to it, haven't had much time to peruse the board lately.

Even if Ward is healthy Dobby will be seeing significant time. Ward has been run into the ground over the past handful of years and has seen his play decline a bit as a result of this and the injuries.

In other words, he is not the same goalie he once was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->