GDT: Bruins @ Sens Mar 10 - Part 2: Lord of the Flies edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLight*

Guys play for Hammond and have chemistry with with. Easy decision

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
From where i was it was half cheers and half boos, local guy i guess plus it being Ottawa where it's cool to cheer for any team but the local one.

Sad to see so many young bruins fans out last night born and raised in Ottawa chirping the home team and fans.

Typical Ottawa. As someone who was born and raised in the Capital and has now moved on I can't tell you have minor league this looks. :shakehead Sure it seems to be the norm and hip for this mostly under-20 generation to start cheering against the team that is in your own backyard (and more prevalent in Canada) but really common?? These kids are making their own city look kinda "bush" and obviously they have no sense of civic pride but what they don't realize is that this is reflecting poorly back on them.

A city with a lot of people that came here for a job, a good ratio of the population is not from here.

True but the same could be said for other cities as well. Thousands of people relocate to Toronto or Vancouver every year. Yet I find that in TO there is a lot more civic pride despite their former mayor making the city look like an international joke.

In San Jose CA, there are literally thousands of visiting fans for key matchups against teams like New York, Boston, Chicago, Montreal etc..

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Also: maybe time to shake things up a little bit?

Other than bringing Hammond back for the next game, maybe sit Chiasson and play Greening. Also, time to give Cowen a game too.

Hoff - Ziba - Ryan
Michalek - Turris - Stone
Puempel - Pageau - Condra
Greening - Legwand - Lazar

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Boro - Gryba

Hammond

This must happen!

-from someone who hates greening

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Typical Ottawa. As someone who was born and raised in the Capital and has now moved on I can't tell you have minor league this looks. :shakehead Sure it seems to be the norm and hip for this mostly under-20 generation to start cheering against the team that is in your own backyard (and more prevalent in Canada) but really common?? These kids are making their own city look kinda "bush" and obviously they have no sense of civic pride but what they don't realize is that this is reflecting poorly back on them.

Spooner is from here

I would have reluctantly cheered for him too had I been there

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

True but the same could be said for other cities as well. Thousands of people relocate to Toronto or Vancouver every year. Yet I find that in TO there is a lot more civic pride despite their former mayor making the city look like an international joke.

In San Jose CA, there are literally thousands of visiting fans for key matchups against teams like New York, Boston, Chicago, Montreal etc..

As for more civic pride in Toronto I really don't know if I would go that far.

Gromit

Apr 14, 2004

I moved near San Jose a year ago and can confirm there were a surprising number of Sens jerseys in the crowd at the game last week.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Shots 33-20 Sens and it is 3-1 Bruins?

Was Anderson bad this game or was it just the players in front of him?

Had a great first period, couldnt make a save when the team needed one. The first goal wasnt his fault at all.

The 2nd goal was an atrocious decision on his part and the third one he was too deep in his net because I suspect 6 goals in 3 periods he lost his confidence.

I am not saying Hammond would have for sure made saves but Anderson didnt do himself any favors.

The Sens played a great game as a whole, were hardly ever in their end as the d moved the puck really well. They carried the play and pushed the pace all night, were out goaltended and no puck luck essentially.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not to mention that Spooner's family and friends probably showed up en masse to support their boy.

And he delivered.

His post-game interview was funny. He grew up a die-hard Sens fan and he said his teammates jokingly threatened him that if he didn't hurt his hometown team they'd hurt him. Julien jokingly said he'd cut him and leave him here.

He's a good guy unbelievable skill, under a different coach he would have been contributing in the NHL a while ago. Just how Julien is I guess, I shot goalie schools with him when he was 16 and couldnt believe the stuff he could do with the puck.

If there was one player that scored on the sens atleast it was him.

Derek Roy, Paul Byron and now Spooner all have had career breakout games against the home town sens.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
As for more civic pride in Toronto I really don't know if I would go that far.

Just an observation. Don't want to get into a pro-Toronto debate because trust me there are a lot if issues here lol. However folks that have moved to TO have a purpose for doing so (social, economic, gettong away from family etc.) and are more willing to absorb the Toronto vibe per say than "Joe" from Vancity who is die- hard West Coaster. I work with these people and most of them are not even hockey fans because their culture is not of that nature.

I moved near San Jose a year ago and can confirm there were a surprising number of Sens jerseys in the crowd at the game last week.

That was what I alluded to. I must have gone to a least 25 Shark games when I lived in the Bay Area and yes there were Ottawa fans with Sens jerseys on. San Jose is a transplant city for sure.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Just an observation. Don't want to get into a pro-Toronto debate because trust me there are a lot if issues here lol. However folks that have moved to TO have a purpose for doing so (social, economic, gettong away from family etc.) and are more willing to absorb the Toronto vibe per say than "Joe" from Vancity who is die- hard West Coaster. I work with these people and most of them are not even hockey fans because their culture is not of that nature.

That was what I alluded to. I must have gone to a least 25 Shark games when I lived in the Bay Area and yes there were Ottawa fans with Sens jerseys on. San Jose is a transplant city for sure.

Sure there is lots of issues in Ottawa just as there just as many in Toronto/Montreal or Vancouver.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Sure there is lots of issues in Ottawa just as there just as many in Toronto/Montreal or Vancouver.

There's more in Ottawa thanks to the amazing foresight, professionalism of the NCC. How do other cities cope without an unelected federal government entity constantly meddling in their affairs? You'd think they'd fall apart without the wisdom of an NCC.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think most people who live in Ottawa know what Ottawa is and are fine with it

It's a nice place to live and that's about it

I'm very happy that we aren't as obnoxious as a good bunch of people from Montreal or Toronto

Last edited:

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

I'm very happy that we aren't as obnoxious as people from Montreal or Toronto

Hey!! Be kind.

I'm from montreal and i prefer the Sens. Never liked the Habs and i think i never will.

Except for Carey Price. I have to admit that i do like him.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa

I'm very happy that we aren't as obnoxious as a good bunch of people from Montreal or Toronto

ive spent 1/3 of my life in Ottawa, 1/3 in Toronto, and 1/3 in Montreal.... and by far I prefer Ottawa the most, even though i'm getting laid off at the end of the month after 17 years... I find people are just a lot more chill here..... Layoffs all over the place are starting to worry me though

Xamar*

ive spent 1/3 of my life in Ottawa, 1/3 in Toronto, and 1/3 in Montreal.... and by far I prefer Ottawa the most, even though i'm getting laid off at the end of the month after 17 years... I find people are just a lot more chill here..... Layoffs all over the place are starting to worry me though

Yup the economy is going to **** and Alberts is to blame.

stigs17

Dec 3, 2005
It's imperative to draw on the positives after a miraculous 10-1-2 run and first regulation loss in nearly a month. They are still in it.

SENS: 17 games left, 9 at home. Playing their best hockey since January 2010. A few easy games vs tanking opponents with no desire to win, all on the road (2x TOR, 1x CAR). Take care of business at home. Two solid goalies. Playing their best hockey without veterans (Phillips, Neil, Smith, Anderson).

BOS: 16 left, NHL-low 6 at home. Just 14 road wins. Until Emery choke, were steadily declining. Elderly core, didn't address any issues at trade deadline outside of a 4th line winger. Only two games left vs tankers (1x BUF, 1x CAR). BUF plays them hard, just like they do vs SENS.

Despite the submissive win, BOS fans were as arrogant as always, despite AT BEST sneaking in at #8 to get swept by Montreal or NYR as usual. Any S.T.H. notice every toilet had urine everywhere but the toilet? This is not a coincidence. Easy to see why VAN fans left BOS after one game in 2011.

The Senators still have a chance. Just look at how effortless BOS was last night, thrilled by the bounces. False bravado, just like two horrible goals vs. career backup Emery and Detroit's gifting of their third-stringer Gustavsson, who TOR erroneously hailed the monster.

From puck drop, EVERYTHING went BOS' way. Post-post-in. Sens' four posts out. Grade-A chances miss net/blocked. Rask flopping around and bailed out all night long. Dmen desperately diving at every shot.

Claude Julien is a cancer to the NHL, just like Lemaire was. Boring, trap, clutch-and-grab, block, get outplayed for 55 minutes and find a way. Just imagine BOS S.T.H. watching 41 games of this garbage.

The Sens stopped forechecking after 40 minutes leading 4-0 vs Calgary in total domination. BOS stopped after 20 minutes in a 0-0 game where they were 50-50 at best! Scored three goals on fluky bounces and odd PPs with next to no puck possession, pressure or zone time. Any scout knows this is Claude Julien hockey. He'll be lucky to fool the idiotic Bruin brass another year.

BOS was one post away from a mass overhaul and large upset in Game 7 of round 1 in 2011. Many lucky bounces later, they win their first cup in 40 years. The other 39 years tell the true story of a fringe playoff team, just like 2015, with largely the same aging roster.

The Senators dominate the final 40 minutes and are rewarded with 4 PP against and 2 PP for. And people still wonder why American teams have won the Cup 22 years in a row when chance would predict a Canadian winner every 4 years.

NHL agendas aside, I like the Sens' chances when outshooting a desperate opponent 32-14 in the last 40 minutes while killing off 4PPs. 8/10, such domination wins in regulation.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

So what is the argument here... "The team will play hard for a .954sv% goalie, but refuses to play as hard for a .925sv% goalie"?

... people are ok with this rationale?

Maybe Hammond is more friendly? :dunno:
Maybe Hammond communicates with his players on the ice?
Maybe the players can read Hammond better?

There's more to chemistry than simply playing hard

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Maybe Hammond is more friendly? :dunno:
Maybe Hammond communicates with his players on the ice?
Maybe the players can read Hammond better?

There's more to chemistry than simply playing hard

And there's more to choosing goalies than letting an entire team off the hook for playing sub-standard.

WhiteLight*

And there's more to choosing goalies than letting an entire team off the hook for playing sub-standard.

Keeping them ''on the hook'' > making the playoffs?

Not for me as a fan anyway

They are humans. Maybe they don't like Andy, who knows. Andy seems like the kind of guy who only opens his trap to complain when things go wrong, not really a great communicator. Could be wrong though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad