GDT: Bruins @ Sens Mar 10 - Part 2: Lord of the Flies edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
From where i was it was half cheers and half boos, local guy i guess plus it being Ottawa where it's cool to cheer for any team but the local one.

Sad to see so many young bruins fans out last night born and raised in Ottawa chirping the home team and fans.

Ottawa is a weird city. Never seen another city anywhere that is so reluctant to get behind the hometown team.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ottawa is a weird city. Never seen another city anywhere that is so reluctant to get behind the hometown team.

There is no other city like Ottawa, with a nearly 100 year history of supporting the two oldest, most celebrated teams in the history of the sport, both of which are within driving distance of each other.

It'd be like putting a MLB team in Hartford, and wondering why all of the local Yankee & Red Sox fans aren't season ticket holders.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, I heard a bartender speaking to some Boston fans and they were talking about "See you again next year" as well as a group talking about their hotel.

I also saw a fair number of USA hockey hats and shirts.

I suspect there's some kind of road trip because I've been to other Bruins games and it wasn't like this one.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Not to mention that Spooner's family and friends probably showed up en masse to support their boy.

And he delivered.

His post-game interview was funny. He grew up a die-hard Sens fan and he said his teammates jokingly threatened him that if he didn't hurt his hometown team they'd hurt him. Julien jokingly said he'd cut him and leave him here.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Well, I heard a bartender speaking to some Boston fans and they were talking about "See you again next year" as well as a group talking about their hotel.

I also saw a fair number of USA hockey hats and shirts.

I suspect there's some kind of road trip because I've been to other Bruins games and it wasn't like this one.
I've heard a lot of Atlantic Canadians, as well as Bs fans from Ontario and Quebec, come in for their games in Ottawa every year.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I've heard a lot of Atlantic Canadians, as well as Bs fans from Ontario and Quebec, come in for their games in Ottawa every year.

From back when I used to be in the arena every game of the year, there were always 2000+ Bruins fans in our building any time Boston was in town.

Weekend games can be like 3000-4000 B's fans.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Disappointing result. Boston is always a tough matchup for us, but the Sens played pretty well. Kind of came down to bounces going their way.

I know playoffs are a longshot but my hope is they at least stay in the mix a bit longer - its been fun watching this team play meaningful games and its great experience for the youngsters.

Also that Cameron quote was gold, he's growing on me.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax

That's likely true. The east coast is about 1/4 Bruins, 1/4 Leafs, 1/4 Habs, 1/4 everyone else. Since Ottawa is close enough for East Coast fans to fly in while having more accessible tickets than Toronto/Montreal/Boston it is the perfect storm for other Northeastern teams fans to come visit.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
It was a disappointing lose but not an unrecoverable one. If the Sens win their game in hand and win 3 more of their remaining 15 games than the Bruins do, they'd make the playoffs, baring a Florida/Philadelphia run.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
There is no other city like Ottawa, with a nearly 100 year history of supporting the two oldest, most celebrated teams in the history of the sport, both of which are within driving distance of each other.

It'd be like putting a MLB team in Hartford, and wondering why all of the local Yankee & Red Sox fans aren't season ticket holders.

You certainly have a point which i agree with, sometimes i feel half are actual fans and some are doing it to be that person who annoys other's.

I met several last night who could care less about Boston but hated Ottawa for whatever reason and simply enjoyed heckling other's.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

A city with a lot of people that came here for a job, a good ratio of the population is not from here.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The argument isn't Andy vs Hammond.

It's team + Andy. Vs team + Hammond.

We haven't played well in front of Andy in like 3 years (don't point out that one game that one time )

This team was clicking in front of Hammond. I've said for a while now the guys are TOO comfortable in front of Anderson. They showed legitimate urgency when Hammond was in net.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The argument isn't Andy vs Hammond.

It's team + Andy. Vs team + Hammond.

We haven't played well in front of Andy in like 3 years (don't point out that one game that one time )

This team was clicking in front of Hammond. I've said for a while now the guys are TOO comfortable in front of Anderson. They showed legitimate urgency when Hammond was in net.

Since when is that a legitimate argument not to play a goalie?

He's playing just fine but the team isn't playing well. That doesn't mean you change the goalie. That means you tell the team to get their ***** in gear.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

He's playing just fine but the team isn't playing well. That doesn't mean you change the goalie. That means you tell the team to get their ***** in gear.

Then how come teams change goalies on the middle of the game even though none of the goals are their fault?

It's been 3 years that Andy has been bailing these guys out. They played so much harder with Hammond in there. (This isn't a knock on Andy. I know someone will come back with "oh so you hate Andy. You wanna trade him. Wanna trade all the vets. Wanna be the oilers? ". )

This team was playing the best hockey they have played since we took the rangers to 7 games all those years ago. No reason to change anything.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Definitely a big loss, but one positive that we can take away is it wasn't one of those games where we just played flat out terrible. Those are the losses that sting the most. We outplayed Boston for a vast majority of the game. We had scoring chances and Rask played incredible and we didn't get some bounces. That's the way the game goes. I'll take that loss over a loss where we look lost and get dominated, but that wasn't the case.

Making PO's may be a stretch, but I think we'll make it interesting. Big two games coming up

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa

i'm having a problem with ' he's playing just fine'... 7 goals in 2 games, all of which according to the Anderson apologists were not his fault... seems to me he's got quite the lil streak of his own going... 7 goals, not his fault.... wow.... just wow.. not saying Hammond woulda won, cause im not a hindsight prognosticator, but damn you gotta go back to Hammond, even if its just for a morale boost for the guys... they just went 8-0-1, they gotta be getting p***** at the latest developments...

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
i'm having a problem with ' he's playing just fine'... 7 goals in 2 games, all of which according to the Anderson apologists were not his fault... seems to me he's got quite the lil streak of his own going... 7 goals, not his fault.... wow.... just wow.. not saying Hammond woulda won, cause im not a hindsight prognosticator, but damn you gotta go back to Hammond, even if its just for a morale boost for the guys... they just went 8-0-1, they gotta be getting p***** at the latest developments...

He's also played four shutout periods out of six (seven if you include the overtime.) I'm far more likely to believe it's a systemic breakdown than a sudden ignorance on how to play goalie efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad