Post-Game Talk: Bruins Rookie Tournament: Vs. Buffalo Sabres and New Jersey Devils, in Buffalo!

Wonder Boy

Cam 'n' Cam
Mar 25, 2004
Ancaster, Ontario

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
For the situation we have right now, if he gets the green light because he has "experience" in the NHL and because he has a 1way contract and then just keeps staying in the lineup while we have better better prospects growing up. I just can't see him in our longterm plans without ton of prospects busting.
He's not what we need, he's a 3rd pairing D who won't have a big enough impact.

What happens next offseason if Trotman plays for us this season as a regular and his contract is up and we have few prospects ready to make the jump while we are missing that top pairing D.
Do we play him in our re-tool year and let him walk or my fear that we re-sign him and see other prospects playing for us too and not find that top pairing D because we have a dream that Trotman will become that.

Why don't you let the B's and Trotman cross that bridge when they get to it? I'm going to assume, stupidly maybe, that if Trotman is on one of the top two pairs that he is the best option, at least for now. I'm pretty sure Sweeney is well aware of what is in the pipeline and how he wants to utilize them.

This is like worrying about what you will do with your lottery winnings before you even buy a ticket.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why don't you let the B's and Trotman cross that bridge when they get to it? I'm going to assume, stupidly maybe, that if Trotman is on one of the top two pairs that he is the best option, at least for now. I'm pretty sure Sweeney is well aware of what is in the pipeline and how he wants to utilize them.

This is like worrying about what you will do with your lottery winnings before you even buy a ticket.

I'm not just sold on it yet, still fearing that contracts will determine, but with Sweeney I have a bit more hope to see us icing the best lineup as possible.
I still don't sée Trotman in our longerm plans.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like Trotman, however, after getting 3 concussions in 2013-14 he did not look like the same guy when I saw him in Providence last year UNTIL the final month.

The April Trotman could evolve into an NHL top 4.

The Dec and January Trotman stuggled in the AHL.

Also, DeBrusk has three things going for him that play well in the NHL.

hands/shot- counting as one but its a biggie

attitdue- excellent I hear

style- will play down low without a second thought

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I like Trotman, however, after getting 3 concussions in 2013-14 he did not look like the same guy when I saw him in Providence last year UNTIL the final month.

The April Trotman could evolve into an NHL top 4.

The Dec and January Trotman stuggled in the AHL.

Also, DeBrusk has three things going for him that play well in the NHL.

hands/shot- counting as one but its a biggie

attitdue- excellent I hear

style- will play down low without a second thought

We will see, I'm personally expecting 1 of our 3 first round picks to play a long career in a B's uniform. I expect 1 to bust, and another to be disappointing, but still have an NHL career.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
We will see, I'm personally expecting 1 of our 3 first round picks to play a long career in a B's uniform. I expect 1 to bust, and another to be disappointing, but still have an NHL career.

Zboril long career
Senyshyn good career but not as good as Barzal
DeBrusk a bum

gib

Feb 3, 2004

Joonas looked much better tonight, but I think the Soderberg comparisons are a little high in expectations. I am not talking about offensive production either. I am talking away from the puck. What I would like to see him improve on is his willingness and compete level. He is not aggressive enough on the forecheck, I was thinking as a man in a kids tournament that he would have dominated more on the puck. For me it seemed like playing with your dad on the driveway and dad is not giving 100%. He did a good enough job vs the kids, but he is not competing with kids that age for a roster spot. I still think he needs time to figure things out, and maybe training camp and the preseason get him going. He is on the bubble.

Didn't see the game, but sounds like typical Kemppainen. He is really unflashy player and I mean it. You need to follow him closely and then you see that he does all the little things by the book. He has never been huge hitter and fierce forcheking guy. He relies more on blocking passing lanes, poke checking and winning board battles. It might make him look like he's not givin 100%. But this is junior tournament, so you really cant tell before the actual camp if he has been playing 95% this far.

Last edited:

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Didn't see the game, but sounds like typical Kemppainen. He is really unflashy player and I mean it. You need to follow him closely and then you see that he does all the little things by the book. He has never been huge hitter and fierce forcheking guy. He relies more on blocking passing lanes, poke checking and winning board battles.

Oh, they're going to love him on HFBoards then....:snide:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

617Marine

Aug 17, 2012
Boston
Isn't that what he said? That Vatrano will score 35 "in Providence"?

Am I missing something? (Not uncommon)

No you're not missing anything, I just went full stupid. Somehow got vatrano/acciari/umass/providence (friars) all confused in the same line of thought. Disregard and carry on.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I was at the game last night, was very exciting. Eichel was invisible in the first period and came to life after he served a four minute high sticking penalty. He was clearly the best player on the ice. For the Bruins, I was impressed with the following:
Brandon Carlo - big stay at home defenceman, skates well and took the body all the time. He needs more experience in junior, defineately an NHL prospect, ceiling would be a #5 guy.
Jakob Zboril played a solid game, is very polished for an 18yr old. He looked dee to be the closest to NHL ready. He needs another year of junior and some seasoning in the AHL, one year at the most. His ceiling is a #2 dee who can qb a powerplay.
Linus Arnesson scored a nice goal on a wrist shot. Played a steady defensive game. Needs more time in the AHL, ceiling is a #4 guy. The rest of the dee were so so, no one impressed me. On forward, Austin Czarnik had a great game, he can skate and is a very good passer / playmaker. The only thing going against him is his size and the lack of winning faceoffs, which can improve with practise. He as a step or 2 faster than any other forward on the B's. Anton Blidh is a solid up and down winger, skates well and takes the body. He was very physical. Justin Hickman stood out on some shifts too. He has good sized and tough to knock off the puck. Debrusk showed some skill on the powerplays. Senyshyn needs a ton of work. He made one big mistake in the third period, had time to pass the puck to the LW in the neutral zone and turned over the puck, causing a goal. He will need more time in the OHL. I do not see him being a #1 or #2 RW in the future, maybe a #3 with a great deal of work and development. Kemppainen looked okay, nothing special. I have a hard time believing he will make the B's out of training camp. He needs time in the AHL. Has good size, average skater and vision on the ice.
The best player on the ice for the B's was our goalie. He was solid made some highlight reel saves and is always in good position to make the save. McIntyre has the size and post to post speed to play in the NHL, has a great glove too. He controls rebounds very well too. One comment was that he could have come out of his a net a bit more on the final goal to take away the spot that Eichel scored, albeit was a great shot by Eichel, he did not have much room to score. If you have any other questions about the game, I will try to respond.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
For the situation we have right now, if he gets the green light because he has "experience" in the NHL and because he has a 1way contract and then just keeps staying in the lineup while we have better better prospects growing up. I just can't see him in our longterm plans without ton of prospects busting.
He's not what we need, he's a 3rd pairing D who won't have a big enough impact.

Serious question, do you think the Bruins will keep him up in the NHL just so they don't have to pay him $625k in the AHL even if he's not the best option?

Zac Rinaldo*

i think debrusk will score 20 goals in this league, he is still very much a kid however, more so than most first rounders.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Serious question, do you think the Bruins will keep him up in the NHL just so they don't have to pay him $625k in the AHL even if he's not the best option?

I don't but some here have said it's a real thing, that this is business after all, hopefully not for Sweeney and he puts up the best roster possible.

I don't know also why in the new article about Trotman said that he would have to be waived to be send down to AHL when here it's been said it's not the case?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don't but some here have said it's a real thing, that this is business after all, hopefully not for Sweeney and he puts up the best roster possible.

I don't know also why in the new article about Trotman said that he would have to be waived to be send down to AHL when here it's been said it's not the case?

Your answer lies here

Last edited:

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
It is funny how some fans get so excited about 24 and 25 year olds in a prospect tournament and in the same breath find fault with a kid who has yet to turn 19. That's some great scouting right there.

Well very few of us are scouts and just speculate, I think it's even funnier that you expect us all to be quality scouts. I have a hunch Debrusk will bust. I could be wrong or right it's 50/50. Thanks for adding to the discussion! He's the only pick I don't like tbh. Should have been the 2 and Barzal.

Last edited:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Well very few of us are scouts and just speculate, I think it's even funnier that you expect us all to be quality scouts. I have a hunch Debrusk will bust. I could be wrong or right it's 50/50. Thanks for adding to the discussion!

Well at least you stand by your convictions and strongly state you have a hunch, could be right or wrong, and there is a 50/50 chance of that being so. Also, you are welcome.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I was thinking this, so Trotman can be send down without waiving?

If so then I don't know why they wrote like he would have to be waived and probably lost due to it.

He signed his ELC at the age of 22 therefore in the fourth year he must clear waivers. This is the fourth year

You be the judge

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He signed his ELC at the age of 22 therefore in the fourth year he must clear waivers. This is the fourth year

You be the judge

So we'll see him on the roster :shakehead
C'moon Colin, you can do it.
To me Colin is a player who can have the biggest impact to our team and next years success, (not saying he would be the best player).

I could live with Colin+Trotman duo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad