Proposal: Bruins-Red Wings

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Bruins fan here. Hockey town how you doin?

Looks like you guys are in search of a right handed top 4. Johnny Boychuk seems to fit the criteria. Would you do straight up:

To Detroit:
Johnny Boychuk

For

To Boston:
Brendan Smith

Let me know, if not what would it take?

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
I think this would be fair. Although Smith is young - Boychuk (30) is a RH dman in his prime and we have loads of young dmen in the pipeline to make up for the lost youth. Gives Boston some cap room too.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I'd do it but I don't see anyway something like this happens.
Detroit won't want to send Smith within the division and the B's won't want to send Boychuk within the division.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It entirely depends on how the Wings plan to use Smith going forward.

If he is going to continue to be left off of the PP, and not get the chance to contribute and produce, then by all means trade him.

If he is going to get the chance to be an actual offensive defenseman, then absolutely keep him.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Fair Deal.

I really like Smith. I want to see him get some PP time.

He has always been touted as an offensive D-man.. Our coach will NOT put him on the PP.
Its so weird.

Boychuk has a bomb of a shot if i remember right. and is a RH D-man.

I expect we would use Boychuk better than smith. So I would be for the trade.

EVEN THOUGH, i think Smith MIGHT be a better D-man one day.

Also puts both Smith brothers on the same team. Which is just fun overall!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Value might be fine, but I'm not a fan of trading Smith for a possible rental, or helping Boston out with their issues right now while giving them value back.

If we're moving Smith, I'd like to see someone come back that we know will be around for awhile.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wouldn't do it the value is probably appropriate. If we are trading Smith I want him out of the conference not even only the division. I think we would really regret that.

But worth pointing out I wonder if the B's would truly target him anyway. The B's have contract issues, it would be why many are worried about Boychuk and shopping him. They don't actually get any easier next year and while Smith is RFA while him killing it would be good for this season it would add another massive burden on the B's. Honestly they are the kind of team with controlled stay at home types that could take on a Kindl and like his cost controlled contract along with something else they like. They also have the kind of physical team that either might rub off on him or protect that if he plays unlike the guy from two years ago again. Now I realize people will think that is crazy, but I wonder who their actual target would be. Kindl + something else they like might be an actual option here though certainly there will be many options so this price could escalate quickly as well.

Also the idea of why they are shopping Boychuk isn't only cost related it is right-handed as well. So the fact Smith really is an RD and playing him on the left when since he converted to D as a 16 year old he has played almost exclusively on the right would probably give them pause. You can think switching him over would go well, but not sure they go that option either.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Looks like you guys are in search of a right handed top 4. Johnny Boychuk seems to fit the criteria. Would you do straight up:

To Detroit:
Johnny Boychuk

For

To Boston:
Brendan Smith

As a Wings fan I would do this deal in a heartbeat, But I just don't see Detroit and Boston being trade partners any time soon.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
not sure why so many people in this thread wanna do this

the Wings are so low on offense from the blueline as it is and you guys wanna trade Smith for another defensive guy?

it just doesn't make sense

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

the Wings are so low on offense from the blueline as it is and you guys wanna trade Smith for another defensive guy?

I actually agree on this. The trade itself may be fair, but Wings need to add to their defense, not do a 1-for-1 and shipping out the guy who has the most potential to improve out of their current blueliners.

Octopus

May 17, 2006

To Detroit:
Johnny Boychuk

For

To Boston:
Brendan Smith

I like the deal if only because Boychuk would give up the puck a lot less and he's RH. I saw Smith play with the Griffins about 5-6 times before he came up and I said then, he'll be better with the puck once he gets up to the bigs. Just give him time. NOT ! I think he's worse now than then. He panics far too often and you could already have a top 10 highlights reel on his gaffs in just the past two years. Given the age difference, a mid round pick might be warranted, but I'd do the deal straight up if the Bruins were willing to do it.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

The problem is that Smith isn't being utilized properly on the powerplay, so his offensive production isn't what it could or should be.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
If Boychuk was signed for 2,3,4 more years I'd do it but being that he's a UFA next summer and rumors he wouldn't mind heading home to western Canada, Wings could easily lose this trade. I do tend to think most people around here grossly underrate Smith's talent and potential. He's had a slower learning curve that most fans would like (mostly due to Babcock trying to force him to be a defensive defenseman) but imo still too early to give up on him for one year of Boychuk.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I would do the trade in a heartbeat given I don't think Smith is developing to what was expected of him when he was drafted. With that being said I am very much committed to the youth movement with our defense. Boychuk would solidify your top 4 and would allow you to roll with at least 2 prospects so long as you waive Kindl and Lashoff.

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Boychuk
Quincey-Sproul
Ouellet

The biggest issue is Holland would never waive Kindl and Lashoff. Regardless, I do like Boychuk as he's a Babcock type player and probably makes Lashoff or Kindl unnecessary.

Boychuk would be given more PP ice time in Detroit which makes Kindl unnecessary. He'd also easily replace Lashoff's PK ice time.

So yeah, make this trade and then waive Kindl and Lashoff and we are prepared for the youth movement on defense. :yo:

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm afraid of making any trades until the dust settles. and if you ask me, as long as Holland and Babcock aren't re-signed, the dust hasn't settled yet.

I also worry that Babcock would grind the offense out of Boychuk. Not that he's a huge offensive guy, but I could see him being a 10 point guy on the Wings. Hell, look at Quincey, who put up a solid amount of points in other places. Offense dried up and blew away.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
i'd do this deal. i'd shop smith to see if he could bring back anything else, or as part of a larger package to land a guy like myers, but if this is the best we can do, i'd take one year of boychuk and try to resign him

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I know this is irrelevant to this topic, but I didn't know where else to mention this, and it is somewhat fitting because it is about Boston.

Lucic just got compared to Patrick Kane in an HF poll. Made me laugh quite a bit...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad