Confirmed with Link: Bruins Re-Sign Matt Grzelcyk 2 years/$1.4M AAV

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nothing to complain about here, very solid value for what he brings to the table.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Very happy for him, he definitely earned it this past season.

One-way deal, I presume?

That may sound crazy to even ask after his performance, but sophomore slumps, injuries, pairings, etc. all can change things.

The tweet says 2 way deal. Unless it's wrong? I hope it's 2, like you said in case of all of the above listed.

Cap Friendly shows his minors salary also at 1.4M, so it looks like it's a one way. I don't see anywhere in the tweet that says 2-way.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Very happy for him, he definitely earned it this past season.

One-way deal, I presume?

That may sound crazy to even ask after his performance, but sophomore slumps, injuries, pairings, etc. all can change things.

Griz has played 74 NHL games therefore requires waivers to be sent down. Don't think the Bruins would risk that so it's most likely a one-way deal

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Wow, great news! The deal leaves some money open for other signings and won't hammer the Bs too much if Grizz doesn't follow up last season with another good season or two. I expect him to keep improving, though.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

My concern is... i dont want krug in top pair... and i dont want chara in top pair

Now is grezlyck going to be a huge value top pair guy or a very expensive 7th dman?

Maybe krug gets moved and we end up very happy with grezlyck? But i just dont like the mix we have now if we are keeping everyone

In a vacuum... good signing... but makes me wonder what the next shoe to drop

Reactions: Krupp

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I'm gonna be the wet blanket...

I (and most others) was of the mindset that one of Krug or Grzelcyk was going to be dealt this offseason. My opinion was that the obvious move was the latter option.

Looks like we're moving Krug now and mark my words... That's gonna hurt.

I don't want to turn it into THAT thread. This one should be about Grzelcyk and how impressive he was during the season (he was excellent) and how he earned the extension (he absolutely did). He's a good kid and I like him a lot.

I would not have have signed him.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm gonna be the wet blanket...

I (and most others) was of the mindset that one of Krug or Grzelcyk was going to be dealt this offseason. My opinion was that the obvious move was the latter option.

Looks like we're moving Krug now and mark my words... That's gonna hurt.

I don't want to turn it into THAT thread. This one should be about Grzelcyk and how impressive he was during the season (he was excellent) and how he earned the extension (he absolutely did). He's a good kid and I like him a lot.

I would not have have signed him.
i'm assuming he doesn't have any sort of NTC or NMC. signing him doesn't mean they can't trade him. in fact this deal is reasonable enough that it arguably makes him easier to trade.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
i'm assuming he doesn't have any sort of NTC or NMC. signing him doesn't mean they can't trade him. in fact this deal is reasonable enough that it arguably makes him easier to trade.
Is it a sign that they want to trade him though, or that they want to keep him? To me it's obviously the former.

And as a team looking to trade for a player, I'd much rather work out the new deal on my own terms than have them dictated to me.

I don't see the chances of him being dealt this offseason as being much higher than zero.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Good deal. Makes him a very marketable player if they chose to deal him. Not even bad price for a 7th defenseman, which hopefully some of the younger players push him down to

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Players can't sign an NTC or NMC until they are a group 3 UFA (7 yrs in NHL or age 27).

This is a great deal. I was thinking 3 yrs at $2m per. It's very similar to what Krug signed before his current contract and it lets the Bruins see what they really have in him.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
FWIW from NHL.COM Sweeny said ,

"Look, you never know. I'm not actively shopping Torey. People call on a lot of different guys that we have. I have private conversations with each and every general manager, but we value what Torey brings to the table. It's very difficult to replace a 60-point guy. He's grown with our organization. He's grown into a leadership role on and off the ice. He's a big part of our success. I'd say it's unlikely."
Bruins hope to jump into first round at NHL Draft

We've heard this one before from many a GM , i.e. Bergevin just before trading P.K.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Solid signing. Dude killed his matchups when he was on the ice 5v5. If I remember correctly he was on the ice for 44 goals for and only 18 goals against. Dominated his matchup, it was 3rd line but that’s the assignment he was given and killed it

Reactions: Gator Mike

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Nice signing. I was shocked at his play last season, didn’t care much for his play prior to that. Interested to see how he continues to develop.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Love this signing, kid was great last year. Brings solid offense and surprisingly good d. Love him on the third pair with Miller, but even ok with him on the 2nd pair with Carlo. It is going to be interesting to see how the line up plays out. Worst case scenario I think we will be fine rolling with Chara-McAvoy, Krug-Carlo, Gryz-Miller, McQuaid one more year.

I have read both Vaak and Zboril are ok playing the right side. Would love if some how one of those two got some playing time with Chara- was such great experience for McAvoy and Carlo. Then enventualy playing on the top pair with McAvoy. That leaves a big hole on the top pair for the time being though.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Nice term and number for a player who, for this fan, was a complete surprise in regards to what impact he might with the B`s. Simply thought he`d be a band aid but I was way off which is hardly a shock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad