Confirmed with Link: Bruins Re-Sign Matt Grzelcyk 2 years/$1.4M AAV

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I'm gonna be the wet blanket...

I (and most others) was of the mindset that one of Krug or Grzelcyk was going to be dealt this offseason. My opinion was that the obvious move was the latter option.

Looks like we're moving Krug now and mark my words... That's gonna hurt.

I don't want to turn it into THAT thread. This one should be about Grzelcyk and how impressive he was during the season (he was excellent) and how he earned the extension (he absolutely did). He's a good kid and I like him a lot.

I would not have have signed him.

I don't think we can infer what you're inferring from this. We know Chara and McQuaid won't be Bruins in 2019-2020. It's almost certain since Carlo and Charlie need new money. Maybe there's some weird scenario where Chara does one more for 3m, but I don't see it.

I think they're comfortable with Krug, Gryz, Charlie and their offensive ability and mobility. Miller and Carlo is 2 more for their size, PK, defence. That leaves a competition for the last spot. And in a perfect world that last guy is 6' tall+, left side, super mobile, and responsible in his own end since we'll be losing that in Chara. I've never once seen him play, but that's what everyone says Vaakanainen is. Kind of lucky for us I guess because he hits every one of those missing attributes in some way.

Btw I hope after 2 years off, Chara comes to coach the D ;)

Reactions: maxbme

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
FWIW from NHL.COM Sweeny said ,

"Look, you never know. I'm not actively shopping Torey. People call on a lot of different guys that we have. I have private conversations with each and every general manager, but we value what Torey brings to the table. It's very difficult to replace a 60-point guy. He's grown with our organization. He's grown into a leadership role on and off the ice. He's a big part of our success. I'd say it's unlikely."
Bruins hope to jump into first round at NHL Draft

We've heard this one before from many a GM , i.e. Bergevin just before trading P.K.

I know krug has his very passionate fans here who often argue he walks on water... but a lot of us have seen the warts and the shortcomings for the past couple years. when you mix the 2 factors together {inability to play effective top 4 mins in his own zone AND the cap hit his offense production commands} a lot of the signs have pointed that he probably should be traded now for the past couple years

it cant be an easy trade to make though because he will continue to produce a lot of offense wherever he ends up... and if he ever were to make that improvement defensively, he would suddenly become someone that shouldn't have ever been traded in the first place.

I think comments like this from Sweeney and I believe there was some similar statements from neely the past few weeks too... do indicate that krug is available {at the right price.}

a lot of krug supporters will believe ive been anti krug now for years... but im not really. I do always recognize hes a hell of a pp qb and would actually look pretty damn good if he was being only used in 3rd pair protected situations with limited icetime defensively too.

if we do trade him... if we do free up his cap hit... then I will be expecting its done to make room for a legimate addition that can play with McAvoy top pair and allow chara to drop to second pair. trading him and then giving his spot to some raw rookie would not be acceptable in my book.

if krug was part of the price necessary to land a hanifin… then we have to jump on that. or even if we could use him to move up into Edmonton's draft spot I think we have to jump on that too {as unlikely as I feel a trade between Chiarelli and Sweeney would ever be}

I mention earlier that I like the grzelcyk signing... I just don't like having grez and krug both best suited for bottom pair assignment and then chara needing to drop down his icetime/matchup assignments too.

getting someone affordable {maybe edler out of Vancouver} on a short term deal while we wait for vaananen and/or zboril to step up... would make me happier and if we did that, then either krug or grzy do seem to need to be moved

if I was king of the world... id also move one of miller/McQuaid... and then id look to sign a guy like luke schenn for around a million to serve as a 7th dman {but when the 7th dman needed to play id probably just promote a kid from the ahl}

so what would that look like if I was king of the world... trade for edler… sign schenn… move krug/miller for best return I could get

McAvoy/edler
carlo/chara
McQuaid/grzelyck
schenn

and then do the best we can to develop some of those kids we have when edler, McQuaid, and chara finish up their contracts with us and eventually move on

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I know krug has his very passionate fans here who often argue he walks on water... but a lot of us have seen the warts and the shortcomings for the past couple years. when you mix the 2 factors together {inability to play effective top 4 mins in his own zone AND the cap hit his offense production commands} a lot of the signs have pointed that he probably should be traded now for the past couple years

LOL at the bolded. Asinine opening line. As for the italics, he makes 5.25M and is one of the top producing defenseman in the league. I'm failing to see how that point makes the signs point to this feeling that he needs to be traded.

I think comments like this from Sweeney and I believe there was some similar statements from neely the past few weeks too... do indicate that krug is available {at the right price.}

Every player is available for the right price. I think it's funny you look at that statement and seem to ignore the end. "It's very difficult to replace a 60-point guy. He's grown with our organization. He's grown into a leadership role on and off the ice. He's a big part of our success. I'd say it's unlikely." This doesn't sound like someone who they want to move on from. But you're looking into the line that says, "I'm not actively shopping Torey" and going off that?

a lot of krug supporters will believe ive been anti krug now for years... but im not really. I do always recognize hes a hell of a pp qb and would actually look pretty damn good if he was being only used in 3rd pair protected situations with limited icetime defensively too.

Yeah, Bergeron would looked pretty awesome on the 3rd line too if it was possible. Unfortunately, super teams are not possible anymore with the cap. Teams play guys in spots they probably don't belong all the time. I would love Krug as a 3rd pairing defenseman. That would mean our left side is absolutely stacked. To have two better top 4 options than he is? Sign me up... Well, that's not how it works. Krug is a top 4 defenseman now because he is elite in a specific category; offense. You can have top 4 defenseman who specialize in a certain zone. There are shutdown defenseman who don't bring much in the way of offense. You can have top 4 defenseman who bring a lot of offense but struggle in their own end. Just curious....If the Bruins had a Shattenkirk, would you be saying that he belongs on a 3rd pairing?

if we do trade him... if we do free up his cap hit... then I will be expecting its done to make room for a legimate addition that can play with McAvoy top pair and allow chara to drop to second pair. trading him and then giving his spot to some raw rookie would not be acceptable in my book.

Well at least you made one good point. I don't think there is anyone that would disagree with this. If Krug is dealt, it should be because they're adding a better all around defenseman or someone who is a top 4 defenseman and can grow into that role. Problem is that they are not easy to come by.

if krug was part of the price necessary to land a hanifin… then we have to jump on that. or even if we could use him to move up into Edmonton's draft spot I think we have to jump on that too {as unlikely as I feel a trade between Chiarelli and Sweeney would ever be}

I make that trade because the upside with Hanifin is great but lets not act like he's world's better than Krug is in his own end. He's very much an offensive defenseman, worse than Krug, who struggles in his end. He's just bigger. However, the second part of this point contradicts what you just said above. You wouldn't want to trade Krug to give his spot to some raw rookie. Yet, you'd trade him for #10, which would be doing exactly what you don't want to do? Like whaaaaaa?

getting someone affordable {maybe edler out of Vancouver} on a short term deal while we wait for vaananen and/or zboril to step up... would make me happier and if we did that, then either krug or grzy do seem to need to be moved

What happens to krug in this scenario? Please don't suggest Krug for Edler. I'd like to keep my lunch down today...It was delicious the first time, but I don't think it'd be delicious coming back up. Curious to see how we arrived at the below pairing; mainly Edler in Krug out. Also, Vaakanainen......You missed a few letters, to say the least there :laugh: .. Just some advice, if you're unsure about how to spell a player's name or a prospect, it takes 10 seconds to load google and search.

if I was king of the world... id also move one of miller/McQuaid... and then id look to sign a guy like luke schenn for around a million to serve as a 7th dman {but when the 7th dman needed to play id probably just promote a kid from the ahl}

Thankfully, you are not. That's a serious downgrade going from a 5/6/7 core of Miller/McQuaid/Grzelcyk to (one of) Miller/McQuaid-Grzelcyk/Schenn. He sucks. I'd rather just keep McQuaid/Miller at that point. At least you have a serviceable defenseman to step in. What's the point of signing a slug like Schenn if you're just going to recall a rookie every time?

so what would that look like if I was king of the world... trade for edler… sign schenn… move krug/miller for best return I could get

McAvoy/edler
carlo/chara
McQuaid/grzelyck
schenn

and then do the best we can to develop some of those kids we have when edler, McQuaid, and chara finish up their contracts with us and eventually move on

Failing to see how Edler in and Krug out makes us a better team. Obviously I touched on how bad Schenn is so adding him while subtracting Miller (in this situation) is no bueno.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Besides being small Krug and Grzelyk have little in common. I really hope Sweeney doesn't think Grzelyk can be as effective a player as Krug, defensive short comings and all.

Krug is a well above average offensive D_man, Grzelyk had 15 points Last year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

it cant be an easy trade to make though because he will continue to produce a lot of offense wherever he ends up... and if he ever were to make that improvement defensively, he would suddenly become someone that shouldn't have ever been traded in the first place.

I mention earlier that I like the grzelcyk signing... I just don't like having grez and krug both best suited for bottom pair assignment and then chara needing to drop down his icetime/matchup assignments too.

McAvoy/edler
carlo/chara
McQuaid/grzelyck
schenn

I love the guy, huge fan in fact but I don`t think he "walks on water". I`m a fan who see`s the defensive warts in his game but I`m a fan who feels he more than makes up for those mistakes by what he brings offensively and removing him from this lineup without a concrete replacement who can bring the same offensive elements is, IMO, scary

60 pt D-men just don`t grow on trees but I`m no GM, if he goes, it better be for one helluva player

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I love the guy, huge fan in fact but I don`t think he "walks on water". I`m a fan who see`s the defensive warts in his game but I`m a fan who feels he more than makes up for those mistakes by what he brings offensively and removing him from this lineup without a concrete replacement who can bring the same offensive elements is, IMO, scary

60 pt D-men just don`t grow on trees but I`m no GM, if he goes, it better be for one helluva player

And his replacement better damn well be better than Alexander Edler. :laugh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
LOL at the bolded. Asinine opening line. As for the italics, he makes 5.25M and is one of the top producing defenseman in the league. I'm failing to see how that point makes the signs point to this feeling that he needs to be traded.

Every player is available for the right price. I think it's funny you look at that statement and seem to ignore the end. "It's very difficult to replace a 60-point guy. He's grown with our organization. He's grown into a leadership role on and off the ice. He's a big part of our success. I'd say it's unlikely." This doesn't sound like someone who they want to move on from. But you're looking into the line that says, "I'm not actively shopping Torey" and going off that?

Yeah, Bergeron would looked pretty awesome on the 3rd line too if it was possible. Unfortunately, super teams are not possible anymore with the cap. Teams play guys in spots they probably don't belong all the time. I would love Krug as a 3rd pairing defenseman. That would mean our left side is absolutely stacked. To have two better top 4 options than he is? Sign me up... Well, that's not how it works. Krug is a top 4 defenseman now because he is elite in a specific category; offense. You can have top 4 defenseman who specialize in a certain zone. There are shutdown defenseman who don't bring much in the way of offense. You can have top 4 defenseman who bring a lot of offense but struggle in their own end. Just curious....If the Bruins had a Shattenkirk, would you be saying that he belongs on a 3rd pairing?

Well at least you made one good point. I don't think there is anyone that would disagree with this. If Krug is dealt, it should be because they're adding a better all around defenseman or someone who is a top 4 defenseman and can grow into that role. Problem is that they are not easy to come by.

I make that trade because the upside with Hanifin is great but lets not act like he's world's better than Krug is in his own end. He's very much an offensive defenseman, worse than Krug, who struggles in his end. He's just bigger. However, the second part of this point contradicts what you just said above. You wouldn't want to trade Krug to give his spot to some raw rookie. Yet, you'd trade him for #10, which would be doing exactly what you don't want to do? Like whaaaaaa?

What happens to krug in this scenario? Please don't suggest Krug for Edler. I'd like to keep my lunch down today...It was delicious the first time, but I don't think it'd be delicious coming back up. Curious to see how we arrived at the below pairing; mainly Edler in Krug out. Also, Vaakanainen......You missed a few letters, to say the least there :laugh: .. Just some advice, if you're unsure about how to spell a player's name or a prospect, it takes 10 seconds to load google and search.

Thankfully, you are not. That's a serious downgrade going from a 5/6/7 core of Miller/McQuaid/Grzelcyk to (one of) Miller/McQuaid-Grzelcyk/Schenn. He sucks. I'd rather just keep McQuaid/Miller at that point. At least you have a serviceable defenseman to step in. What's the point of signing a slug like Schenn if you're just going to recall a rookie every time?

Failing to see how Edler in and Krug out makes us a better team. Obviously I touched on how bad Schenn is so adding him while subtracting Miller (in this situation) is no bueno.

you seem to want to be very combative in this post and made several logic leaps that are not at all supported by anything I would argue

if edler is brought in... I said its because hes a cheap affordable add on a short term basis. that doesn't mean I suggest krug for edler.

in fact I said get the best possible deal for krug… is that edler? maybe you think far less of krug than I do?

do I think edler is better suited to playing with McAvoy 22-24 mins a night than I think krug is... yeah I do. edler has been doing that for years as a pretty good level. hes no savior but he does give McAvoy a partner while at the same time letting chara devote his time to helping carlo develop

as for schenn… pierre mcguire just yesterday on the montreal sports talk channel was all over schenn as a great pickup. its all about cost. mcquire was saying put schenn in as a 5 at 1 mill and he would do a great job. im saying lets put him in as a seven but call the kids from the ahl up when theres extended games to play

its about cap management.

am I saying schenn is a better player than kevan miller? is that what you read and wanted to argue with? or am I saying an experienced nhl vet making around a million dollars makes a better seventh dman when we have McAvoy/carlo/McQuaid in front of them both on the depth chart?

I suggest trading kevan miller instead of macquaid mostly due to that extra year of commitment but honestly I don't care. keep one/trade one... I don't care which

I don't mind that you want to disagree with everything I wrote... but try to read what I wrote before disagreeing with it I guess would make it easier for me to respond. although trying to make the leap to Bergeron as a 3 center is pretty ludicrous. Bergeron is probably the most complete player in the nhl. maybe you should have used krecji if you were actually attempting to say something relevant here. hell I might have even agreed with your example if you said krejci. krejci probably would be more valuable used in a 3rd line role. backes too. heck backes actually was moved to a 3rd line last year... we are onto something here :)

that said... I must just end here by saying i stand by my thoughts and don't really feel like you actually gave me any useful material to really respond to. maybe the advice on google... although when im posting on my smart phone I guess that's not really much of an option for me. spelling was never my strong suit. so I will apologize in advance but I will probably get a few names wrong from time to time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
This is such unnecessary bull**** :shakehead

nah... ive seen it. its an okay statement. if you aren't one of them, don't take offense. but if you are... then we all have to own up to our positions.

I argue terry oreilly belongs in the hall of fame. some others would call me a moron for my position. I wont suddenly deny it. let them call me a moron. I will always argue that oreilly was special enough to deserve to be in the hall of fame

accept it. I do

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

You've expressed most of my sentiments almost to a tee here but there are a few points I differ on.

1) I don't think Edler is the guy I want with MacAvoy but I could live with it if I had too.
2) There is no way I trade Krug for Edmonton's 10th OA unless I already have a deal in place to flip it for Krug's replacement.
3) I'll pass on Scheen as well.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Geez, it’s just an expression. Btw I enjoy AOFs long posts and the thought put into them even though I don’t usually agree with the sentiments.

I don’t want to see Krug traded. We need offense from the back end. I don’t want to hope McAvoy + someone makes up for his offense.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Besides being small Krug and Grzelyk have little in common. I really hope Sweeney doesn't think Grzelyk can be as effective a player as Krug, defensive short comings and all.

I think Grzelcyk will develop and improve offensively. If he plays 82 games next year I'd expect him to hit 30 points. Krug is a step or two above that of course but we are going to get plenty of offense for that 1.4 mil hit.

Honestly I am 100% OK with entering next year with our biggest problem being 2 of our D men are undersized. I think both guys are good enough players that it won't hurt the team and we can still contend for a Cup. I don't really care that their size was exposed a little bit in the playoffs doesn't mean they can't learn from some mistakes and improve they are god players. I think with Carlo back we have a good cast to surround them with.

My concern is the team trying to fit too many Reilly Nash replacement *AND IN PARTICULAR REILLY NASH HIS FIRST YEAR IN BOSTON* types into the lineup instead of rounding out the roster with skill. I want 4 lines that bring it offensively. My kind of 4th line looks like Bjork-Kuraly-Fitz.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Honestly I am 100% OK with entering next year with our biggest problem being 2 of our D men are undersized. I think both guys are good enough players that it won't hurt the team and we can still contend for a Cup. I don't really care that their size was exposed a little bit in the playoffs doesn't mean they can't learn from some mistakes and improve they are god players. I think with Carlo back we have a good cast to surround them with.

I totally disagree with this. They got exposed by undersized forwards, I don't even want to think what would have happened to them if they played the Caps. No thanks, I will be very worried if we go with the same Dcore as last year.

I like both players, I really do , but there is no way you win in the PO's with both. They can learn from their mistakes but they are very unlikely to grow. I'm not even sure if you can win with one of these guys in your line-up but I'm certain you can't win with both. Not in the PO's.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You've expressed most of my sentiments almost to a tee here but there are a few points I differ on.

1) I don't think Edler is the guy I want with MacAvoy but I could live with it if I had too.
2) There is no way I trade Krug for Edmonton's 10th OA unless I already have a deal in place to flip it for Krug's replacement.
3) I'll pass on Scheen as well.

Id like more than the 10 pick for krug... im not proposing 1 for 1. Just saying maybe oilers like krug enough he could be the center piece of a deal that gets us 10 pick

Oilers seem pretty desperate for some left wing scoring help too.

Maybe we find a way to talk them out of jesse puulijarvi and 10th pick if we play our cards right

For a team desperate for a pp qb, i would think krug has alot of trade value

I have never said he is devoid of value... just that he is fairly one dimensional and should be used correctly

If we keep him i have no doubt he could be very valuable... just needs to be used correctly

Miller and mcquaid can help... but must be used correctly. Backes... kuraly... rask... theres alot of guys that see their value fall when exposed

Other than bergeron and marchand is there anyone we can throw out there 20 mins per game in any situation? Maybe mcavoy? But even these guys we wouldnt want on the ice for a line brawl

Im not sure why its so horrible to say some guys are far more valuable when used correctly.

Im also not sure why its so horrible to look at cap management

Backes, krejci, krug, miller, mcquaid all arguably make more money than we should be paying. If we hope to make our team better with adding expensive players these are the first names on the list where we might look to save money.

Im a fan of all these guys but im also a realist. There is a cap. It must be managed

Theres more than one path that might improve us. Im not saying krug must be dealt if we have any chance to win. Im just saying i want chara, krug, and grez all to be bottom 4 dman and theres only room for 2 bottom 4 dman.

I want someone cheaper as our 7th dman. And i want someone not currently on the team to be our brand new top pair left shot dman

If krug and miller leave its 7.75 mill cap hit

That is enough room to bring in almost anyone we want as our upgrade.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I'm not saying Grizz can replace Krug.

What I am saying is that in his rookie year Krug had 40 pts in 79 games, but 19 pts came on the PP.

Grizz had 15 pts in 61 games, only two came on the PP. This was with 16:44 TOI (15:34 ES, 1:07 PP)

It is not out of the realm of possibility to think that if you gave Grizz a minute of PP time per penalty, that he could push that point total into the 35-40 point range over 82 games.

And before I get the,

"Oh no, Joe, that just isn't possible" stuff, please consider these stat lines...

2016-17: 15:49 TOI per game (1:38 PP), 61 gp, 6g/7a (1g/1a on the PP)

2017-18: 19:21 TOI per game (2:27 PP), 82 gp, 10g/31a (5g/12a on the PP)

Those numbers are from Colin Miller. If you don't believe me, go look it up.

I am not advocating the B's trade Krug (he's one of my fave B's), but if they do, it probably isn't going to be the end of the world.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I like this deal and i like Gryz.

Should keep him motivated. I'd like to see him getting more pp time, if we can afford that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad