Confirmed with Link: Bruins re-sign Dr. Cross

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I wonder- does he and other players in his situation really believe at this point in their careers (5 plus years after being drafted) that they can make the NHL??? I know some players are late bloomers, particularly defensemen but seriously how realistic are their chances if they haven't made it by now? :dunno:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I wonder- does he and other players in his situation really believe at this point in their careers (5 plus years after being drafted) that they can make the NHL??? I know some players are late bloomers, particularly defensemen but seriously how realistic are their chances if they haven't made it by now? :dunno:

I'm sure he's pretty happy to just play hockey for a living. I know I'd love it regardless of pay in the AHL - plus there's always a chance he puts it together.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I'm sure he's pretty happy to just play hockey for a living. I know I'd love it regardless of pay in the AHL - plus there's always a chance he puts it together.

We have his NHL salary, but what is his AHL salary? Perhaps it is enough that he is happy and he can slowly work his way into a job with the team when his career is over as a player ???

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
We have his NHL salary, but what is his AHL salary? Perhaps it is enough that he is happy and he can slowly work his way into a job with the team when his career is over as a player ???

Normally the salary for AHLers on average is a living wage ($50,000-65,000). As for what his is? Not sure if there's even a place to find out AHL salaries....

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
AHL Hall of Fame awaits

Hope he and Chris Bourque go in same class

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Giving up assets to move up and grab him #35 in 2007 was well worth it finally. Even if they could have stayed put and draft Wayne Simmonds or PK Subban instead... :amazed:

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Giving up assets to move up and grab him #35 in 2007 was well worth it finally. Even if they could have stayed put and draft Wayne Simmonds or PK Subban instead... :amazed:

Was hoping for some action, this kind of leaves you deflated. As long as he doesn't see the NHL again, I'm good with it.

Also, ouch on the guys they could've taken.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Classy kid, and a great organizational player. He is a coach on the ice down there, and I hope he does spend the next 40 years as a Bruin in some manner

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Normally the salary for AHLers on average is a living wage ($50,000-65,000). As for what his is? Not sure if there's even a place to find out AHL salaries....

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/tommy-cross

He made $175K last year in Providence, so I'd imagine he took a slight bump in pay to stick around another year. They have so many guys on ELC's projected to be in Providence next year, and especially on D (Lauzon, Zboril, O'Gara, Grzelcyk), so they sort of needed this to happen. Those ELC guys get paid $70K in the AHL, so they can afford to toss some money at Cross.

My opinion...sneaky good signing for the long term health of the organization. That Providence Bruins team is going to be loaded with NHL prospects that are trying to learn how to be a pro, versus some teams in the past that only had a few legit NHL prospects sprinkled in with career AHLers and depth guys. By all accounts, he's a great leader to have around those kids.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I look at it this way, he's playing hockey for a living and while he's not making millions, he's probably making much more than most guys his age, again to play hockey.

If I were him, I'd play until the last day someone was willing to pay me to do so.

There's plenty of time for a career after hockey, especially considering what he's probably made already during his 20's.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

Vets make much more than that, would bet he is over six figures, good salary for half a year work. Happy for him as long as he stays in Providence, not NHL caliber

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
There is. CapFriendly keeps track of both NHL and AHL contracts for players. For example, Anton Blidh - he'll make an NHL salary of 86k, but in the minors, he makes 70K

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anton-blidh

But for the first three years he draws a signing bonus on one jul, so add that to his regular season salary in the minors and he is making pretty good coin. All entry level guy's contracts work that way, salary and signing bonus.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I look at it this way, he's playing hockey for a living and while he's not making millions, he's probably making much more than most guys his age, again to play hockey.

If I were him, I'd play until the last day someone was willing to pay me to do so.

There's plenty of time for a career after hockey, especially considering what he's probably made already during his 20's.

Amen. I just happen to work with a girl who graduated with him and I was just joking with her that he's likely the highest paid grad from their class! I'm sure he's not complaining.

Southpaw123

Apr 9, 2017
Classy kid, and a great organizational player. He is a coach on the ice down there, and I hope he does spend the next 40 years as a Bruin in some manner

Great signing! This kid is a class act all around. He is the type of player/person who is being groomed to stay in the organization with sights on coaching and management. Knew of him in college, smart guy and a true leader on and off the ice. The Bruins organization is very lucky to have this caliber of individual in their organization!!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Yeah, I wouldn't mind being Tommy Cross and playing hockey for a living, brushing shoulders with Bergeron and the rest of the gang at events in Boston every now and then, living in Rhode Island, etc etc.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He's making over 100k in the minors and has actually gotten a chance in the pros (albeit only 4 games) the last couple years after sticking it out this far.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He's making over 100k in the minors and has actually gotten a chance in the pros (albeit only 4 games) the last couple years after sticking it out this far.

There we are. Give me 100k to play hockey in the AHL over an office job anyday :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad