Post-Game Talk: Bruins @ Ottawa - Bruins win 3 - 2!!! S/O

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Well... very bad 1st period for the Bruins, last night. Luckly, the Bruins regained momentum after their 1st goal and we pretty much control the game from that point. It was nice to see Rask being a factor after allowing 2 early goals but i still hate the way we turn over the puck in the offensive zone. Too many intercepted blind passes; too many wasted scoring chances. Since the Bruins doesn't have the PP overcome a huge deficit, they need to capitalise on every chance they have. Glad Kelly is ok; though that the hit was bordeline as hell...

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
wasn't impressed. they can't open the same way they did last night t vs the Penguins tonight.

get to see Thorts and Paille score.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
I am really sorry at how ugly the hitting got this game. I really hope you wont hold a grudge to our fan base how ugly it got. I honestly love Kelly as a player and was very concerned as to his well being. I hope he bounces back soon.

Don't worry, the Sens are the only other team I can stand in the NE. You guys have a great team and most importantly your fans are really nice and respectful. I really hope you make the playoffs and give the Habs and their arrogant fans a nice beating. I just ask you a favour: can someone of you Sens fans beat that annoying habs fan attending every Sens-Bruins game in that ugly jersey?

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
So much for Senator - Bruin games being forgetable affairs...lol. Since 2007-08 they
have been fun games.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I thought that the puck had to be continually moving forward? From 24.2: The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line . I'm pretty sure you can see a direction reversal for bit on the overhead view, but I don't know if they make an exception for that move? Or is there something I'm missing?

The intent is to prevent players from circling back to line up again if they didn't like how they got set up. It's perfectly ok for the puck to move away from the goal line if it's due to a continuous hockey play. Otherwise, refs would have to blow down every attempt when a player stickhandles and pulls the puck backward away from the goal line just prior to shooting.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Pacioretty - Wrong, go watch it again. Listen to the announcers. They accurately describe the play as a good screen shot. It also wasn't high glove. It only went half way up the net.

Caps game - The 2nd goal by Kundratek was both tipped by a Bruin forward, and a screen shot. If you are accurate that Backstrom and AO were going high all night that disproves your point because neither one scored on Rask at all, let alone high glove. If I were you I wouldn't point out that 2 of the best players in the league couldn't score on what you think is a weakness.

Fehr's OT goal is the only high glove unscreened shot so far of any that you have pointed out, and it was from halfway inside the slot. Rask was taking away the low ice as he should and it was a great shot.

Turris' shot was tipped. Go watch it again. Chara even said it was tipped in his post game interview. No I didn't know goalies are scouted, but thanks for letting me know. If Turris knew to put it high glove, then why did he go low blocker on the shootout shot? Why aren't all these guys going high glove and beating Rask in the shootout?

It doesn't happen even close to once a game. You are just wrong. Keep trying though if you want. Trust me you really don't want me to show you screenshots of these goals. They will prove you wrong.

You are the epitome of someone who is seeing what he wants to see. Tuukka's high glove side is a relative weakness of his. I say relative, because he's so good everywhere else. But to say that it's not an area he needs to work on reveals your inability to objectively assess his strengths and weaknesses.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If he were screened I wouldn't say a word, he wasn't. That was bad goal. The one off the faceoff was the Caps, sorry. Surely he was screened right off the faceoff, right? 2nd goal also roofed. They got another one in OT. So, bonus. Backstrom and AO were going high all night. Not a coincidence.

Looked like a rocket straight upstairs. Like he knew exactly where to put it on TR the second he got it. You know these guys scout goalies, right?

Happens nearly once a game. In games where he's been genuinely bad, which have been very few, even more.

Anyway, love Tuukka. Thinks he's great and should obviously be signed. But, I'd like to see him at improve in that area. I totally disagree that it's a strength of his. That is all.

Agreed. Anyone with even a reasonable amount of objectivity has to be honest with themselves about this. Teams are targeting it for a reason. He's weak there, and he needs to improve or he's going to continually see shots high glove for the rest of his career.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You are the epitome of someone who is seeing what he wants to see. Tuukka's high glove side is a relative weakness of his. I say relative, because he's so good everywhere else. But to say that it's not an area he needs to work on reveals your inability to objectively assess his strengths and weaknesses.

If you add the amount of shots from the left to the total number of shots from beyond the blue line, divide by 20, then subtract the amount of PK time from the final number, Rask has never been scored on high glove. :laugh:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
110 starts, he has a 2.16 and a .927. If he has a relative weakness the following is true:

1. Teams do an awful job of exploiting it.
2. It's a difficult weakness to exploit.

I think we can move on here.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Pretty much what I expected from this Sens team, they`ve been forced to play this way for 10-15 games without certain personel.

That shootout attempt was

a- mildly entertaining
b- enormously ill timed

I hope Kelly is ok, there`s a large number of fans here who hammered he and Pevs non stop who I`ll wager right now, will be pleading for his quick return if he`s out an extended period of time.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Only have my blackberry and can't read everything. Has there been any report on extent of Kelly's injury? Thanks.

TSN said it appeared that he had no structural damage to the knee at this point. Lots of swelling, and things could change once the swelling goes down, but so far it looks like he dodged a bullet.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
110 starts, he has a 2.16 and a .927. If he has a relative weakness the following is true:

1. Teams do an awful job of exploiting it.
2. It's a difficult weakness to exploit.
I think we can move on here.

I think this is true. I would much prefer his weakness be top corner than five hole or low stick side. If it takes a top shelf shot with above average accuracy to beat a goalie, I can live with him being beaten there at times. I still think it needs work.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Some of you people need to lighten up as far as the shootout move.

Quit getting all worked up about inconsequential matters. If the guy wants to try that move he can? How is he showing off? So, you don't think he's attempting to win the game for his team? Let him try whatever he likes. Who are you people that take it upon yourselves to get pissed off at some guy you've likely never seen play before for trying something completely out of left field? I just can't even begin to fathom how it is something that can upset certain people in the way it does...just get over it. Yes, I'm rambling on.

I agree. I don't see the big deal. Players can and should do whatever they can within the rules to score for their team..

A lot of people are pissed here for the ATTEMPT.. can you imagine how bad this place would be if he had scored? :laugh:

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Was it just me or were the linesmen not willing to give the benefit of the doubt on ANY entrances to the offensive zone? (for either team).. I have never seen so many off side calls.

If 2 or more players were entering the zone at the same time, it was almost a 100% guarantee it was going to be called for off side.

Meanwhile a couple weeks ago.. this was onside:
duchene-offside.jpg

:laugh:

dat consistency.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I agree. I don't see the big deal. Players can and should do whatever they can within the rules to score for their team..

A lot of people are pissed here for the ATTEMPT.. can you imagine how bad this place would be if he had scored? :laugh:

If he scored it would be a totally different story. It would have worked, and there really wouldn't be anything else to say.

If you're going to try something like that in that scenario, you better be damn sure that you're going to make it...or be prepared for the ridicule and scorn. Great save by Tuukka or not, he was stuffed. If he made it, it's Top 10 material...he didn't so it's Not Top 10 material.

I don't care that he tried it. I'm not pissed about it. He tried something out of the box and he missed...my team got the extra point against a division foe and he looks like a clown. What's there to be mad about?

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
If he scored it would be a totally different story. It would have worked, and there really wouldn't be anything else to say.

If you're going to try something like that in that scenario, you better be damn sure that you're going to make it...or be prepared for the ridicule and scorn. Great save by Tuukka or not, he was stuffed. If he made it, it's Top 10 material...he didn't so it's Not Top 10 material.

I don't care that he tried it. I'm not pissed about it. He tried something out of the box and he missed...my team got the extra point against a division foe and he looks like a clown. What's there to be mad about?

I read the Sens board for a bit after that attempt- honestly, most of them didn't see the big deal in what he tried. It was a great chance and the only thing that stopped it was an amazing, amazing save by Tuukka.

Really, what was worse- what he did or their 1st shoot out attempt that wasn't even on net? He at least gave it a chance of going in.

Also, he's done the same move down in the AHL and scored on it.

Folks are going to complain regardless. So, meh.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I thought the shootout attempt was bad ass. He missed, but he got the shot off just as he wanted to. If he fell or lost control of the puck then I'd feel more inclined to laugh at the guy. I don't see this as any different than pulling the puck back and lofting a shot up and over the goalie, or skating in at a snail's pace like Patrick Kane and just waiting 'til the last second to shoot. If you score, great, slick move. If not....you missed, just like 65% of the other shootout attempts

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I read the Sens board for a bit after that attempt- honestly, most of them didn't see the big deal in what he tried. It was a great chance and the only thing that stopped it was an amazing, amazing save by Tuukka.

Really, what was worse- what he did or their 1st shoot out attempt that wasn't even on net? He at least gave it a chance of going in.

I think the most annoying bit is that it is a one time use gimmick attempt and certainly circumnavigates the rules as the puck goes away from the goal under the direct control of the shooter.

Most prior "spin-o-rama" at least come closer to not being so blatant as the forward motion speed negates the reverse of the puck.

The short of it is, once you have seen it all you need to do is put your stick down, shooter has no chance to lift the puck.

Edit: Or the goalie could slash at the puck like he's hitting an iron long, that for me would be entertaining.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I am really sorry at how ugly the hitting got this game. I really hope you wont hold a grudge to our fan base how ugly it got. I honestly love Kelly as a player and was very concerned as to his well being. I hope he bounces back soon.

No worries, some games just go that way. And we know the Sens aren't a dirty team.

As far as I am concerned you Sens fans are welcome here anytime

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

So, as a Bruins fan, I'm supposed to applaud it?

I applaud that Tuukka made the save, and I applaud that it didn't work. I think it was a clown thing to do, and fully admit my opinion of it would change had the shot gone in.

Again, I'm not complaining....I just think it looked dumb, and that's because he missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad