Boston Bruins Bruins Off-Ice Happenings

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Jeremy Swayman is normally in the business of taking things away. Friday, however, it was all about giving back.
The goalie was part of a contingent of Bruins who threw an afternoon Halloween party for pediatric patients at Massachusetts General Hospital. Another set of teammates did the same at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Judging by the looks on the faces of the patients at MGH’s Yawkey Center, Swayman, dressed as “Hot Wheels Barbie,” was the most popular character in the place.
Attired in a bright pink dress and with a long blonde wig, Swayman was a natural.

“Hey, I think I’m the best-looking; at least I could show some calves,” said Swayman, who said the “Barbie” movie is on his to-do list.

Swayman was joined by Brad Marchand (”Mermaid Barbie”) and various Ken counterparts: Brandon Carlo, Derek Forbort, Jake DeBrusk, and Trent Frederic.

Swayman and his teammates gave out goody bags, signed autographs, posed for pictures, and spent time chatting with patients and their loved ones.

“We’re so fortunate to have the incredible medical attention and facilities in Boston, and you see these kids coming in here and the families, what they do and what they go through here,” said Swayman. “We all know that they’re in the best hands and do whatever they can to get them back to healthy, normal lifestyles.

“And whatever small piece that we can do to help make their day, give them a reason to keep fighting and have some sort of laughter and happiness in their life, is something that I think every one of us are going to jump at.

“So, this is one, again, one of my favorite events of the year and I’m really excited to make some kids happy.”

Charlie Coyle, Hampus Lindholm, Patrick Brown, Linus Ullmark, and rookies Matt Poitras and Johnny Beecher did the rounds at Children’s.

Swayman, who played at the University of Maine, was shaken by the mass shootings in Lewiston.

“Well, we don’t know what’s coming tomorrow, and the tragedy that happened up in Maine hit very personal for me. And it has to stop,” said an emotional Swayman. “I get shakes talking about it, thinking about it. Incredible families, the culture that Maine has up there.

“You would never think in a million years that something like that would happen. And I know that Maine’s going to take that personally and make sure that they’re going to make a positive out of this. But that doesn’t change the effect of what happened.

“I know that my family, the entire Burns organization, myself, are giving endless support and love and prayers to the families that were affected.”

Reactions: Alicat

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
“I know that my family, the entire Burns organization, myself, are giving endless support and love and prayers to the families that were affected.”
So now we finally know the identity of the real owner of the Boston Bruins.

the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BMC and Gee Wally

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Someone on the radio who has a kid there called in and said they were 11/2 late and only stayed @20 mins. I find that hard to believe.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Someone on the radio who has a kid there called in and said they were 11/2 late and only stayed @20 mins. I find that hard to believe.
Same. There's no way they stayed for 20 min total. That's quite the accusation when guys like Swayman, Ullmark, Marchand and Carlo are very generous with their time through the entire season. They often go to hospitals without cameras to visit the kids.

Marchand would never allow them to only stay for only 20 minutes. If he had it his way, they'd spend the day with the kids.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad