HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Amazing

NHL Power Rankings: Mid-Term Grades Edition - Sportsnet.ca

boston-bruins.png
Boston Bruins
B+. A rocky, injury-riddled October put the Bruins behind the 8-ball, but this group has rallied around one of the game’s best trios (Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak) and is now a smart bet to seize home ice in a first-round playoff series versus Toronto. Dressing the game’s best super-young D-man (Charlie McAvoy) and best super-old D-man (Zdeno Chara) certainly helps.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Man, until Boston gets that Washington monkey off their back they aren't winning anything, chances are they'll be in the ECF

Who cares? This is a mid-season power ranking, not "who will be more likely to win a series 3 months from now?", and the playoffs are always a different beast. The Bruins should've easily beaten the Habs in 2014 after losing three out of four games to them that season and having them be our kryptonite for ages. They probably should've won that series in 5 and would have if not for the Habs lucking out like I've never seen before or since, in game 1. Then they choked away the last two games, which also happens in the playoffs. Are the Caps more of a weak-spot than the Habs were? Maybe, but they wouldn't sweep us.

On-topic: This is welcome, even if these rankings are meaningless. Most power rankings I've seen have had the Bruins in spot 12-16 or so as late as a week or two ago.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I will trade every single future regular season win against the Caps (it will happen someday) for one sweep of the Caps in the playoffs. Caps in the first round, then a sweep of the Habs, then a sweep of the Penguins, followed by a sweep of.....hmmmmmmm...Edmonton. Yes. Perfect playoffs. :)

I really don't think that's too much to ask?

Oh wait. If Bergeron could be captain when that happens, that'd be swell. No offense to Chara but he's already captained a Cup team.

Ok Bruins...
Make-It-So.png

Reactions: William Faulkner

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Who cares? This is a mid-season power ranking, not "who will be more likely to win a series 3 months from now?", and the playoffs are always a different beast. The Bruins should've easily beaten the Habs in 2014 after losing three out of four games to them that season and having them be our kryptonite for ages. They probably should've won that series in 5 and would have if not for the Habs lucking out like I've never seen before or since, in game 1. Then they choked away the last two games, which also happens in the playoffs. Are the Caps more of a weak-spot than the Habs were? Maybe, but they wouldn't sweep us.

On-topic: This is welcome, even if these rankings are meaningless. Most power rankings I've seen have had the Bruins in spot 12-16 or so as late as a week or two ago.
I was replying to a previous post regarding Washington

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
There’s no way they’re ahead of the Capitals.

I agree in a sense, but this about overall rankings, not just in comparison to the Caps, who they can't beat.

Even if they finished 10 points ahead of them in the regular season, I'd take the Caps in a playoff series until I have a reason to think otherwise.

However, I'd take the B's right now against 90% of the rest of the league, aside from probably Tampa and maybe Nashville --- although I'm not 100% sold on Nashville.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Yeah, they ranked them 3rd but graded them B+. Teams ranked 4-7 all grade A to A-. Weird.

"As always, teams are ranked in order of their current 2017-18 awesomeness. The write-ups explain why we gave your favourite club a passing or failing letter."

So I guess the letter grade is for how they have played over the total games played but they rank 3rd for their current strong play.

Reactions: 00BW

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
The B's will turn it around against Washington and they'll do it in the most appropriate time , The playoffs .
I hope I'm around a lot of Washington fans when that happens. they'll be money to be made

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I will trade every single future regular season win against the Caps (it will happen someday) for one sweep of the Caps in the playoffs. Caps in the first round, then a sweep of the Habs, then a sweep of the Penguins, followed by a sweep of.....hmmmmmmm...Edmonton. Yes. Perfect playoffs. :)

I really don't think that's too much to ask?

Oh wait. If Bergeron could be captain when that happens, that'd be swell. No offense to Chara but he's already captained a Cup team.

Ok Bruins...
View attachment 91183

I mean, I'm all in for this scenario but 3 of those 4 teams may be on the outside looking in come April (which I will be very happy about)

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I mean, I'm all in for this scenario but 3 of those 4 teams may be on the outside looking in come April (which I will be very happy about)
Oh, this particular scenario doesn't have to happen this year. Besides, Bergeron wouldn't be captain anyway. ;)

Next year would be fine. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad