Post-Game Talk: Bruins @ Leafs 12/8/13

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Just watched Dafoomie's clip of the Homophobic Sluroof hit.

There was a delayed call on Bergeron, Miller PLAYED THE PUCK and there was no whistle before Homophobic Sluroof wrecks him. Such a massive fail all around by the stripes there.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I want to say that the rest of December will be easy to cruise through, but that might not be the case with our players dropping like flies...

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
My recording cut out right before the Iginla goal so here are my thoughts up to that point:

- I'm blown away by how good Miller has been. The goal was a nice reward but the guy has just been so solid. That play where he ate 30 seconds off the clock on the PK was a thing of beauty

- Seidenberg stepped up huge with Hamilton going down

- Soderberg was a beast, and really carried that line with the two kids.

- Spooner and Fraser weren't great, but they weren't bad either. Fraser had a couple nice defensive plays I noticed and Spooner had that one good rush in the first. Caron was the best of the three; I thought he had a very strong game.

- Smith was great again. He's going to be great on that line. Marchand is still fighting it; same old story.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
2 games for Phaneuf.

Lucky they are playing Calgary/ Edmonton next as they are terrible, hopefully Reilly is the real deal the kid is amazing.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
2 games for Phaneuf.

Lucky they are playing Calgary/ Edmonton next as they are terrible, hopefully Reilly is the real deal the kid is amazing.

Was outstanding his 2nd (2010-11) and 3rd (11-12) years at Miami of Ohio. He had 54 pts in 38 games and followed that up with 48 pts in 39 his "Senior" year, and was a Hobey Baker Finalist. I think it was Craig Button that said he thought Smith was the best player in the NCAA that year?

It's not like he came out of nowhere, and his family has a pretty good pedigree.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Kevan Miller or Kevin Millar.
These guys should get together and figure it out.

In any case, Kevan Miller looks like a player, I am shocked how good he is.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Was outstanding his 2nd (2010-11) and 3rd (11-12) years at Miami of Ohio. He had 54 pts in 38 games and followed that up with 48 pts in 39 his "Senior" year, and was a Hobey Baker Finalist. I think it was Craig Button that said he thought Smith was the best player in the NCAA that year?

It's not like he came out of nowhere, and his family has a pretty good pedigree.

I didn't have a clue, I don't really read into other teams prospects very much, other than Spooner, Knight, Koko, Griffith, I don't follow prospects, maybe I should.

Ironically I ran into a Blackhawks scout for the West Coast here the other day at a bar and talked some good hockey with him. I thought I was knowledgeable but this guy was a genius. He even took off his cup ring and showed me, man that thing was heavy.

Damn Hawks.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
My recording cut out right before the Iginla goal so here are my thoughts up to that point:

- I'm blown away by how good Miller has been. The goal was a nice reward but the guy has just been so solid. That play where he ate 30 seconds off the clock on the PK was a thing of beauty

- Seidenberg stepped up huge with Hamilton going down

- Soderberg was a beast, and really carried that line with the two kids.

- Spooner and Fraser weren't great, but they weren't bad either. Fraser had a couple nice defensive plays I noticed and Spooner had that one good rush in the first. Caron was the best of the three; I thought he had a very strong game.

- Smith was great again. He's going to be great on that line. Marchand is still fighting it; same old story.

Spooner and Fraser get mulligans. It was their third game in three nights and they hadn't practiced with the team. Yeti is playing like a Veteran and he and Smith on the PP goal-just awesome.

Smith IMO is that versatile winger they have been looking for since the cup run. He fits the system and just has good instincts. I think he is good with Bergy-if only Marchy could remember how to handle and pass the puck again.

Defense has been decimated but they are hanging in there. I hate it that Chara has to eat so many minutes with the injuries though. If the Bruins can avoid a mid season meltdown and clinch a playoff spot I would love to see them rest him or drastically cut his minutes (Seids too).

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Kevan Miller or Kevin Millar.
These guys should get together and figure it out.

In any case, Kevan Miller looks like a player, I am shocked how good he is.

22 minutes last nite.
claude has alot of confidence in him.
I dont think mcquaid has ever played above 20 minutes.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
22 minutes last nite.
claude has alot of confidence in him.
I dont think mcquaid has ever played above 20 minutes.

He may have-at least in games where D-men go down early.

But Miller IMO is a better skater.
McQuaid isn't near the skater any of the young D-men are.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

He was by far one of the best players in college hockey. 2x CCHA 1st team honors along with Carter Camper, Top 10 in the Hobey Baker voting and was the 9th best player in college hockey his Jr. season.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/11/25/bruins-youngster-reilly-smith-playing-like-veteran/NMkAVUVLMVlwiVeQT5K7WO/story.html

Reilly has often been touted as the best of the 3 brothers. It should be mentioned that Brendan and Rory are no slouches. Rory chose Lax over hockey and Brendan is on the Wings.

Reilly had the opportunity to play in the OHL and chose the college route which surprised a lot of people.

Reilly just has the vision and pure, effortless quality to his game. I knew the kid was special right off the bat. I think DKH thought I was a bit nuttier than normal lol.

Mike Lynch of Ch. 5 said it best, Reilly Smith is the Mike Lowell of this trade.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
A rather impressive 28 hours or so for our B's.

Losing late in the third on Saturday, looking up at a home loss to a hated rival with a trip north to play a good, energetic (usually) skilled team on the horizon and they were able to take 4 points and give up 0.

It may have been ugly at times last night but the results were as good as you could ask for.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
This recent rash of injuries on the blue line is why I wouldn't be too keen on trading any of our defenseman, even though, when healthy, we have insane depth. You are going to need all of these guys to get through a long season and a deep playoff run.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
This recent rash of injuries on the blue line is why I wouldn't be too keen on trading any of our defenseman, even though, when healthy, we have insane depth. You are going to need all of these guys to get through a long season and a deep playoff run.

I figure at some point at least one of them is gone but right now it's nice to have this depth available.

If not for the depth at defense last season this team wouldn't have gotten out of round 2.

Since the pre season games weren't really televised I never understood why Miller was hanging around camp so long, but I can see why he was. He is solid depth.

I just hope Dougie isn't badly injured. Kid has really been having a great season, and it would stink for him and the team if he is out an extended period of time.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
A rather impressive 28 hours or so for our B's.

Losing late in the third on Saturday, looking up at a home loss to a hated rival with a trip north to play a good, energetic (usually) skilled team on the horizon and they were able to take 4 points and give up 0.

It may have been ugly at times last night but the results were as good as you could ask for.

Super pumped last night to watch my first AHL game since I lived in NFLD. where ironically the Leafs housed their AHL team at that time:sarcasm:

All kidding aside, weird watching two teams with such a lengthy injury list. Leafs are in huge trouble if they don`t figure out how to play in their own end, their defensive game is non-existent. Spoons/Fraser if reading right playing their 3rd in 3 nights and were pretty much a non-factor.

Listening to the Bobby Mac`s/Darren Dreger and others speak of the Bruins depth and I always thought they were simply referring to the 4 lines Julien has the confidence in to put out in virtually any situation, have to say, pretty impressed with the callups being able to play and not hurt the team.

Miller`s play has been incredible, yet another under-the-radar guy for this fan, never heard of him outside of seeing him a bit this pre-season.

Crow eating time again (man am I full), I was one who mentioned I would have liked for the B`s to pursue Clarkson, I also think I was one of those fans who posted the all too familiar "he`d be a perfect fit here" line:shakehead

Wow, the guy is, what`s the word I can use without infraction.....um.....awful, slow, useless and Phaneuf??? Chara`s worst game isn`t as bad as Phaneuf`s best, his lack of hockey IQ is insane, the guy makes so many ill timed and mental errors

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Boychuk, McQuaid and Seidenberg are all somewhat injury prone... 8.25 is a big cap hit for injury-prone defensemen who don't provide any offense.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Boychuk, McQuaid and Seidenberg are all somewhat injury prone... 8.25 is a big cap hit for injury-prone defensemen who don't provide any offense.

I don't see them trading either Seidenberg (who they just re-upped) or Boychuk, their number 2 and 3 defenseman respectively, when they are trying to win now. McQuaid would make more sense, but he is making 1.5 mil, and what are you going to get in return? I think having him for the depth and experience he brings your team is more valuable than the third line player he would likely fetch in a trade.

You are going to need 8-9 NHL-caliber defenseman to get through a deep playoff run. Even with Bart and Krug in the system last season, Chia still traded for Redden at the deadline. Turns out, we needed just about every last defenseman we had at some point. Defenseman get hurt. It is a physically demanding position to play. Right now, you have 8 NHL-caliber defenseman that have all contributed this season, and I wouldn't be looking to trade any of them unless a glaring hole opens elsewhere on this team.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

injury prone?

sidenberg has played 46 games last year (short season), 80 games in 2011-2012 and 81 games in 2010-2011 and 79 games between florida and boston the year before. where exactly is he injury prone?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
injury prone?

sidenberg has played 46 games last year (short season), 80 games in 2011-2012 and 81 games in 2010-2011 and 79 games between florida and boston the year before. where exactly is he injury prone?

2013/11/29 Missed 4 games (lower body injury).
2013/11/21 Lower body injury, sidelined indefinitely.
2013/10/03 Signed by the Boston Bruins to a four-year contract extension.
2013/05/25 Missed the last 4 playoff games (lower body injury).
2013/05/16 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
2013/01/25 Missed 2 games (lower body injury).
2013/01/21 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
2012/10/02 Signed with Adler Mannheim (Germany).
2012/04/01 Missed 2 games (leg injury).
2012/03/29 Leg injury, day-to-day.
2010/06/05 Signed by the Boston Bruins to a four-year contract extension.
2010/05/14 Missed the last 4 regular season games and all 13 playoff games (left wrist injury).
2010/04/05 Left wrist injury, day-to-day.
2010/03/03 Acquired from the Florida Panthers.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
2013/11/29 Missed 4 games (lower body injury).
2013/10/03 Signed by the Boston Bruins to a four-year contract extension.
2012/10/02 Signed with Adler Mannheim (Germany).
2010/06/05 Signed by the Boston Bruins to a four-year contract extension.
2010/05/14 Missed the last 4 regular season games and all 13 playoff games (left wrist injury).
2010/03/03 Acquired from the Florida Panthers.

No trip to either finals either year without him. Period. Case closed. You lose the argument. He's worth more than 4m per yr.

He's missed 13 regular season games in 4 1/2 season. We need more injury prone guys I guess.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
2013/11/29

Missed 4 games (lower body injury).

exactly my point. filter out all the crap in your post and look at just injuries. you see he has missed time in 2010 when he got cut with a skate (freak accident) but they only large amount of time missed.

2011 - 2013 he has missed 8 games total regular season and playoffs including two cup runs with many 7 game series. hardly injury prone.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
seidenberg is one of the major reasons we won the cup in 2011.
him chara and thomas.
He's been a beast in the playoffs.
only thing i hate about him was when he gave Bergy his second concussion.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Dennis Seidenberg, injury prone?

:laugh:

Since 2009, Dennis Seidenberg has played in 312 out of a possible 324 regular season games. That 96% of games played, for those wondering. But folks, that's obviously injury-prone, right? :laugh:

In any case, injuries keep piling up, we keep moving on. Cool little thing about Kevan Miller's first goal last night: the guys who were on the ice. Ryan Spooner, Matt Fraser, Carl Soderberg, Bartkowski, Miller. None of these guys were regulars in the lineup last year, if at all. Good to see we have some depth now.

qc

Aug 23, 2011

Since 2009, Dennis Seidenberg has played in 312 out of a possible 324 regular season games. That 96% of games played, for those wondering. But folks, that's obviously injury-prone, right? :laugh:

DingDingDing.

Sorry Caballo.. love ya, mean it.. but you're reaching on this one.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

He also missed over 25 % of possible playoffs games... you knoe, the games that actually matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad