Bruins History: One-Hit Wonders

aguineapig

An NHL debut is a once in a lifetime moment, but for Jim Stewart 'twas not A Wonderful Life. Signed as a free agent in 1979 after an All American NCAA season at Holy Cross, he made his Bruin debut vs the Blues January 1980 after Gilbert and Cheevers couldn't go.

One period, 9 shots, 5 goals and a GAA of 15.00 later his NHL career was over. He did go on to Coaching, as an Asst. won NCAA title with Adam Oates, John Carter and Kraig Nienhuis at RPI. Later was Jonathan Quick's goalie coach at UMASS.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
An NHL debut is a once in a lifetime moment, but for Jim Stewart 'twas not A Wonderful Life. Signed as a free agent in 1979 after an All American NCAA season at Holy Cross, he made his Bruin debut vs the Blues January 1980 after Gilbert and Cheevers couldn't go.

One period, 9 shots, 5 goals and a GAA of 15.00 later his NHL career was over. He did go on to Coaching, as an Asst. won NCAA title with Adam Oates, John Carter and Kraig Nienhuis at RPI. Later was Jonathan Quick's goalie coach at UMASS.

My brother played for the South Shore Braves, and won a NEJHL Championship with Stewy in goal. Great guy, great goalie, but I remember this night and it wasn't pretty.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
For a one GAME wonder, I nominate

Bob Perreault Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

upload_2020-6-23_15-17-8.png

upload_2020-6-23_15-38-1.png

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Iafrate was a bust. In time, Jueau proved the same. Sinden losing his fastball.

Thought Juneau had potential to be better but I`m not so quick to put a guy who played 800+ games and put up 500+ pts as a "bust" but I`m also terribly biased having met with him and been lucky enough to have sat and talked with him at quite a length the year my old man was inducted into the RPI Sports HOF and Juneau was on the team

Far more valuable than his contributions on the ice is what he has done off it, this is just one of many articles speaking to his post career efforts

Ex-NHLer Joé Juneau fights back after Inuit hockey funding cut in half

Reactions: GordonHowe

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Thought Juneau had potential to be better but I`m not so quick to put a guy who played 800+ games and put up 500+ pts as a "bust" but I`m also terribly biased having met with him and been lucky enough to have sat and talked with him at quite a length the year my old man was inducted into the RPI Sports HOF and Juneau was on the team

Far more valuable than his contributions on the ice is what he has done off it, this is just one of many articles speaking to his post career efforts

My friend dated him for a few years when he was in Boston. Didn't have a bad word to say about him. They were both in their early-mid 20's and it just didn't go any further but to this day she said he was a good guy.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I had high hopes for Joe, and they weren’t met. But that’s me.

He was, of course, treated shabbily by Sinden.

If he’s a good person, good luck to him.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Believe that one period was his only NHL game
and I remember watching it.

My buddy went to Holy Cross with him and told me
upon meeting him at a party at school asked what he was majoring in. Stewart gave him a **** eating grin
and told him "fiction". Typical goalie answer all the
way.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Iafrate was a bust. In time, Jueau proved the same. Sinden losing his fastball.

Iafrate was on one knee by then but if memory serves
me had a huge impact in the Montreal series. Think he scored two goals in Montreal when Boston was facing elimination.

Iafrate like Krug grew up in Livonia, Mi. Another
famous Boston athlete named Bernie Carbo grew
up there.

Michigan guys have been good to Boston as Tim Thomas
grew up in Michigan. Ex Red Sox pitcher Derek Lowe
did also.

Reactions: BMC

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Does Bryan Smolinksi qualify? He was a one hit wonder here, despite having a long NHL career...

I wouldn't because he played 2 full seasons (one strike shortened) and 3 PO seasons. He potted one goal short
of 50 in those two years including scoring 30 one of those two years. It was obvious he was a really solid 2 way
player then.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Surprised no one has said Brandon Bochenski yet
Oh man this one the first one that popped into my head, but I thought it would be too obscure. I believe they traded Kris Versteeg for him and he came in and put up 11 goals and 11 assists out of no where.

If memory serves he came into camp the following season totally ripped and it hurt his game and he was never the same.

Reactions: BMC and JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Oh man this one the first one that popped into my head, but I thought it would be too obscure. I believe they trade Kris Versteeg for him and he came in and put up 11 goals and 11 assists out of no where.

If memory serves he came into camp the following season totally ripped and it hurt his game and he was never the same.
Yeah he packed on a bunch of weight that offseason and it hurt him big time.

Ended up having quite the career in the KHL

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Oh man this one the first one that popped into my head, but I thought it would be too obscure. I believe they traded Kris Versteeg for him and he came in and put up 11 goals and 11 assists out of no where.

You'd be correct on all accounts.

He's now the Mayor of some town in North Dakota.

Reactions: JCRO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad