Bruins History: One-Hit Wonders

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Each day, we will take a look at a new team’s three biggest one-hit wonders. These are players that had one great season or playoff run but never did anything like that again. Join us every day for a new team! Today we take a look at the Boston Bruins One Hit Wonders.

A taste, with part of the report on Joe Juneau, who had a decent NHL career, but never came close to repeating his big hit rookie season.
Joe Juneau
Another great example of how a rookie season might be tremendously tough to repeat. For Joe Juneau, it was Raycroft-type of career. Juneau was drafted from the fourth round in the 1988 NHL Entry Draft, and the Bruins had not expected him to be a star player one day. In the 1991-92 season, the Canadian left-winger got a taste of the NHL action playing in 14 games. In those 14 tilts, Juneau recorded 19 points. Moreover, Juneau was an Olympic hero for Team Canada.

In the 1992 Winter Olympics, Juneau scored six goals and nine assists for 15 points. Canada could not win the Final, but Juneau returned to Boston with a lot of hype. The hype was justified with 19 points in 14 regular-season meetings, followed by another 12 points in 15 playoff games. The best was yet to come, though.

One Hit Season

Playing on the line with legendary names as Adam Oates and Cam Neely, Juneau was a perfect fit for that Bruins’ line. In the season, when Oates had 142 points, Juneau managed to gather 102 points. For a rookie, that a remarkable feat. His 70 assists are still an NHL record for a rookie left wing.

The entire article, including the rest of the info on Juneau is here
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/06/22/boston-bruins-one-hit-wonders/

aguineapig

Mel "Sudden Death" Hill. Had ten goals in the 1938-39 season, but in the playoffs had three sudden death overtime winners vs Rangers in the semi finals including two in triple OT. His second triple OT strike in Game 7 sent the Bruins to the Finals against the Leafs. Had three points in the series and the B's hoisted the Cup winning in five games. Sudden Death was sold to the Brooklyn Americans after the 1941 season for cash after seasons of 9 and 5 goals respectively. Brooklyn folded after one season and Mel signed with Leafs where he did win the Cup again in 1945.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
If we can do one-game wonders, I would choose Grigori Panteleev against Philadelphia on December 6, 1992. I wonder if anyone else remembers this game. It was the third game of his career and I remember watching him and to the eye test him being the best player on the ice - just appeared unstoppable. I kept waiting for it again, but he never matched that again of course.

Boston Bruins at Philadelphia Flyers Box Score — December 6, 1992 | Hockey-Reference.com

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
This made me think of someone who was sort of a bright spot at the tail end of a mediocre season

Peter Kalus. They gave him 9 games at the end of the 06-07 season when they were out of contention. Games in which I believe he played with Bergeron and put up 5 points. I thought they might’ve had something going on there at the time.

They then flipped him in the trade for Manny Fernandez that summer and he only sniffed the NHL two more times.

Reactions: bbfan419

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
This made me think of someone who was sort of a bright spot at the tail end of a mediocre season

Peter Kalus. They gave him 9 games at the end of the 06-07 season when they were out of contention. Games in which I believe he played with Bergeron and put up 5 points. I thought they might’ve had something going on there at the time.

They then flipped him in the trade for Manny Fernandez that summer and he only sniffed the NHL two more times.

Kalus scored a goal on each of his first 3 shots in the NHL.

Watching a few of his games in Providence, I was convinced he was going to be a special player. Unfortunately it didn't work out.

Reactions: bbfan419 and JCRO

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Kalus scored a goal on each of his first 3 shots in the NHL.

Watching a few of his games in Providence, I was convinced he was going to be a special player. Unfortunately it didn't work out.
I had forgotten about the K boys. Karsums never had much of an NHL career, and was part of the Recchi trade so I guess that is his lasting mark with the B's. The third member of the K boys is having a decent career, last I checked ;)

Reactions: bbfan419

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Posted this in the all time draft thread as a joke, but he really belongs here:

Grigori Panteleev

Played in like 40 games his first year and put up some decent production. Then he dropped off a cliff, never to be heard from again...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->