Jan 19, 2015
Let the chia- sweeney trades start and see who got the better gm :laugh:

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
Uhm. JFJ is our new AGM?

:help: :scared::propeller:wedgie:

Who brought in JFJ? Neely? Seems odd to bring in FO personnel over the GM's head.

I wonder if, over time, we'll learn that Chiarelli didn't have much control over this past year, the year that actually got him fired.

Can't say that I know much about the actual dealings in the front office, but I'm EXTREMELY worried about this management group. Again, I'm probably talking out of my ass, but these guys don't seem to be super confident in their hockey frame of mind. It's just hard to see these guys having a clear vision for the direction of the team.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I assume there will be a press conference today. It will be interesting to see if he lays out his vision and plan for the team. It will also be interesting to see how specific he is, or if he just gives canned nothing responses like "better compete level", or "tougher to play against".

I'm looking at that as well

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I'm curious about what happened with Gorton. Was he ever "secretly" interviewed and he withdrew his name?

Did the Ranger series carry on too long for Neely/Jacobs to wait?

Did Sather tell Gorton he's retiring at the end of the playoffs and he would recommend him?

Most would say "who cares"? But the process is interesting. The story will eventually come out.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Congrats to Sweeney! He picked up a wealth of hockey knowledge through every step of his career. I really hope he & Neely can bring back this team's identity. Can't wait to see his work. It'll be nice to see everyone on the same page. Also congrats to DKH.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
GREAT MOVE hiring Don!!!! also congrats to Jeff Gorton for leveraging this into a soon to be very sweet pay increase and more important position

ah, how business works at his best

fighterfoo

Time for a change.
Nov 29, 2005
Manchester, NH
My guess is they were waiting to make a player transaction to announce the Sweeney hiring. How bad ass would it be for Don to be announced and for him to say that they have extended Dougie Hamilton in the same press conference?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm looking at that as well

when have I ever steered you wrong.....great move I don't care what he says, his actions will speak louder

Su Chang's sounds good one of these days

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
i assume there will be a press conference today. It will be interesting to see if he lays out his vision and plan for the team. It will also be interesting to see how specific he is, or if he just gives canned nothing responses like "better compete level", or "tougher to play against".

1:30

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I'm glad the "extensive" search is over. It was widely speculated that this was Sweeney's job to lose and I'm happy that the front office can now turn its attention to the on-ice product.

I think it seems a little odd that they waited this long. Perhaps they really wanted to speak with Gorton but the Rangers flat out said they were not going to let him walk.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
when have I ever steered you wrong.....great move I don't care what he says, his actions will speak louder

Su Chang's sounds good one of these days

I fully expect to hear the regular lines in the Presser. Why tip your hand and tell anyone what type of player you want to go after.

Don't give any info to the other GMs that you don't have to.

If they don't know what type of player your trying to get they can't raise the prices knowing what you are looking for.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Interesting photo they used for the official announcement:

GMSWEENEYMOBILE.jpg

Sweeney the intellectual? Sweeney the techie? Sweeney the capgeek? :D

I'm also sure John Henry will appreciate the subtle NESN plug... :laugh:

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

GMSWEENEYMOBILE.jpg

I'm also sure John Henry will appreciate the subtle NESN plug... :D

maybe that is a hint that PJ will be more involved.

He was part of the band afterall.

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH

GMSWEENEYMOBILE.jpg

No, they just want folks to know that he's comfortable working with PJ (Axelsson :) )

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Well congrats to Sweeney. It will be interesting to see him broken away from Chiarelli with his own decisions. Certainly a candidate I can keep an open mind with, he's largely a blank slate and deserves to be judged on the decisions he does make as it's hard to tell who exactly was responsible for what the past few seasons.

I see it as a difficult time to be taking over, others strongly disagree on where this team is at right now. 96 points doesn't change my opinion on what I watched this season which is a team that looked pretty awful to my eyes and ultimately couldn't make the playoffs. I see this as a crucial point for us.

I don't think we're in blow it up territory by any stretch but I think we need an aggressive off season. Probably why I was a leaning towards a young, external candidate with a fresh look on the team as I see less of a chance of watching this again.

It will be interesting to get Sweeney's perspective on this team. Looking forward to getting on with the off season and not reading anymore BS like how Mike Milbury is gonna be the next HC/GM.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hopefully we start to see some action and hear rumours again concerning playera.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

GMSWEENEYMOBILE.jpg

Look at the computer, it's a secret code... HP as in Hall-Pastrnak, Krejci's wingers next year.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
JFJ will help with trades/contracts.

That's what he was brought in to do and it wasn't by Chiarelli.

Yeah, this definitely isn't what I wanted to see.

I'm willing to give Sweeny a chance. I think, despite being PC's right hand man, he has a different vision than what PC had going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad