Confirmed with Link: Bruins hire Don Sweeney as GM

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I favored Gorton for the position, but I'm definitely willing to give Sweeney a chance. Seems like a smart, thoughtful, quality guy, who has earned a shot at taking things over.

First order of business: use that 2nd round pick with Edmonton as a foundation for a bigger trade-- send a package to Edmonton for one of their young forwards -- Eberle, Hall, Yak, RNH, or Eberle.

We all know Chiarelli is going to sell one of them, to build the team he wants over there. So, let him send one or more our way.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I hate it. You don't fire the GM and then turn around hire his sidekick, college teammate, and guy who has been partly responsible for many of the bad moves. Definition of a lateral move. If you're going to change direction, you change direction. Ugh.

I agree.

That said I'm willing to see what Sweeney can do. Hopefully he's learned from observing Chiarelli's mistakes.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
YES, that's it exactly! Also Clode has two undrafted nephews that will be a surprised add-on at camp this year and Cam's niece will join them when she gets done with the Alberta wrestling season championships too!:laugh::sarcasm:

Cam's niece will likey bring more toughness to the ice than half the roster.

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH
For anyone who thinks Sweeney and Chia are cut from the same mold, just go look at that Behind The B episode where they draft Pastrnak. They have completely different approach/temperament. I see Sweeney as a much more confident personality, while being just as good a people person. That doesn't mean he's going to do a great job, but I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles the challenges ahead.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
So, Chiarelli 2.0?

I`m not so sure, I think Sweeney knows the model that was in place needs adjustment and IMO, that means not handing out contracts too briskly, and to bring on board a team who has elements that he often played with, grit, heart, hustle and up tempo hockey (not that Sweeney was a burner)

I also envision Sweeney being a tougher negotiator (not sure that`ll be good or not we shall see) and not as quick to pen someone to a deal without that being earned

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Not my first choice. But, on the positive side, he is, after all, replacing Peter Chiarelli. With an added bonus of not having to surrender a pick.

Good luck, Don. Now it's wait and see if he really makes a difference.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I`m not so sure, I think Sweeney knows the model that was in place needs adjustment and IMO, that means not handing out contracts too briskly, and to bring on board a team who has elements that he often played with, grit, heart, hustle and up tempo hockey (not that Sweeney was a burner)

I also envision Sweeney being a tougher negotiator (not sure that`ll be good or not we shall see) and not as quick to pen someone to a deal without that being earned

this is the key if he wants to be better than Chia

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
The Little Train that Could...well almost could (no cups in his time)...is our new GM. OK. I do fear a little bit of the old boy network sort of thing, but he's our guy, he's got my support.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
JFJ will help with trades/contracts.

That's what he was brought in to do and it wasn't by Chiarelli.

Uhm. JFJ is our new AGM?

:help: :scared::propeller:wedgie:

Who brought in JFJ? Neely? Seems odd to bring in FO personnel over the GM's head.

I wonder if, over time, we'll learn that Chiarelli didn't have much control over this past year, the year that actually got him fired.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Thankfully the GM search is over.

Sweeney has paid his dues and it is nice to see him rewarded.

Now we can speculate which player or players will be leaving and what will the draft yield the Bruins?

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I assume there will be a press conference today. It will be interesting to see if he lays out his vision and plan for the team. It will also be interesting to see how specific he is, or if he just gives canned nothing responses like "better compete level", or "tougher to play against".

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
YES, that's it exactly! Also Clode has two undrafted nephews that will be a surprised add-on at camp this year and Cam's niece will join them when she gets done with the Alberta wrestling season championships too!:laugh::sarcasm:

She would be tougher than half of this team last year.

Hopefully Sweeney and Neely actually do what they have been saying and put together a fast, tough team that is tough to play against and actually hits and tries to score sometimes.

We will see, It will be interesting to see who the first player out of town is under Sweeney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad