Bruins have fewest back to backs in Eastern Conference in 2015-16

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Edwards must have sent a harshly-worded letter to the league. The guy wouldn't shut-up about it last year. It was one of his many belabored talking-points. :deadhorse

But I have to remind myself I like Edwards now...after he called the refs out when nobody else would. We got hosed like nobody's business last year...hopefully that's down a cog now that Lucic is gone...

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Plus San Jose has the most travel miles this year.
That’s the San Jose Sharks, who will log a whopping 50,362 miles during the 2015-16 regular season, according to Dirk Hoag at the On the Forecheck blog.

http://www.tsn.ca/which-nhl-team-will-travel-the-most-in-2015-16-1.332122

giphy.gif

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Bruins only have 11 back to backs and travel is 38,236 miles.

If the East is tight this could work to their advantage.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2015/...e-released?_ga=1.13694195.59903394.1435506288

I am not one for making excuses, but I can recall lots of games across the league last year in which it was obvious one of the teams was on the back end of a back-to-back while the other was fresh.

Didn't we even have home games (against the Habs no less) in which we had to fly in to Boston while they were there waiting for us? (I don't exactly remember as I'm trying to forget as much of last season as I can ;) ).

This should definitely help the Bruins, but there are two areas I wonder about:

First if the team's identity is a bit different, would that affect the team's performance in back to backs? Does a speedy team recover quicker than a hard-hitting team?

Secondly, if the B's are hovering around playoff contention, will having fewer back-to-backs lead to an equally heavy workload for Rask? Perhaps when fighting for their playoff lives (and his job for that matter) Julien may be even less inclined to rest him.

It's common practice to play the backup in one of the 2 games, but Julien won't be faced with that as much.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yes,this is good news. Maybe it will cut down on the "just hang in there " mentality the team seemed to have last year. I don't know if I can endure more shoot out losses this year but that is what happens when your energy level expires late in games.

on the flipside I seem to recall the year before the team had a very good record in the 2nd game of a back to back?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Plus San Jose has the most travel miles this year.
That’s the San Jose Sharks, who will log a whopping 50,362 miles during the 2015-16 regular season, according to Dirk Hoag at the On the Forecheck blog.

http://www.tsn.ca/which-nhl-team-will-travel-the-most-in-2015-16-1.332122

I recall reading something last year about the schedule makers - San Jose has the toughest team to schedule, and is almost always done by the schedulers first. So, I guess it's not all that surprising that they routinely get the worst schedule. It's probably 95% geography, and 5% scheduling at the SAP Center.

Glad for the fewer back-to-backs. I didn't recall the overall number being particularly high last year, but I guess it was. Of course, a certain announcer did drill into our heads that we had 4 back-to-backs against the Habs, but I thought 16 was pretty close to average...which, I guess it's not.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yes,this is good news. Maybe it will cut down on the "just hang in there " mentality the team seemed to have last year. I don't know if I can endure more shoot out losses this year but that is what happens when your energy level expires late in games.

There will be a lot less shootouts with 3 on 3 but I worry about the B's in that format.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
There will be a lot less shootouts with 3 on 3 but I worry about the B's in that format.

That was by far the most disappointing rule change - what was the point of having the AHL do the 7 minute hybrid format if the NHLPA is just going to shoot it down?

One thing about the schedule that really pisses me off:
Number of times the Habs come to TD Garden: 1
Number of times the Coyotes come to TD Garden: 1

Seriously, the solution is so simple. Since realignment, EC teams play 4 games within their division, plus one bonus home game and one bonus away game within the division. The Bruins and Habs haven't played any "bonus" games in the two year realignment period. They're playing the WC at Gillette. How in holy hell did they decide to have the bonus game at the Belle Center instead of the Garden?

On the bright side, all home games on Friday/Saturday/Sunday are within the conference - and it looks like all Atlantic teams come to the Garden at least once on a weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad