Boston Bruins Bruins have discussed resting captain Patrice Bergeron

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
From the Boston Sports Journal:

“No, I don’t think he wants that. I think we want him out there, and he wants to be out there,” Connor Clifton said Thursday. “I don’t think [there is any change to how we approach the back stretch]. I think our team is built for a long season and a long playoff run. The load management, I don’t think we want that, right? I think we want to play games, and we want to be in those situations together. That’s the kind of group we have.”

Pastrnak didn’t think that Bergeron actually returned to the game.

“I mean, it’s crazy. Obviously yesterday it wasn’t a great moment sitting on the bench when Bergy had to leave,” Pastrnak said after Thursday’s win. “But [Taylor Hall] turned to me and said he is back and I kind of thought he was joking. Then I looked and I was so happy he was all right, and it wasn’t serious. But I thought [Hall] was joking, and I didn’t even look for [Bergeron] when [Hall] said he was back on the bench. I couldn’t believe it.”

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
It's an unusual, almost unprecedented situation the B's are in. I'm not a gambler, but if the playoffs started today, I'd bet the house. They'll only have to face one of Tampa or Toronto and one of the Metropolitan's top teams; and I don't see anyone in the West beating them.

But the playoffs are still months away. Can the B's maintain this torrid pace for that long? Will there be a psychological battle when the playoffs start and their gaudy regular season record becomes meaningless, like Tampa's in 2019? Can they stay relatively healthy?

It's not in a player's DNA to rest, especially Bergeron's. I would say the regular season isn't that meaningful; just get in, which is already a foregone conclusion. But with the way the B's have played at home, the President's Trophy would benefit.

So how the team manages the players will be interesting and certainly not easy.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's an unusual, almost unprecedented situation the B's are in. I'm not a gambler, but if the playoffs started today, I'd bet the house. They'll only have to face one of Tampa or Toronto and one of the Metropolitan's top teams; and I don't see anyone in the West beating them.

But the playoffs are still months away. Can the B's maintain this torrid pace for that long? Will there be a psychological battle when the playoffs start and their gaudy regular season record becomes meaningless, like Tampa's in 2019? Can they stay relatively healthy?

It's not in a player's DNA to rest, especially Bergeron's. I would say the regular season isn't that meaningful; just get in, which is already a foregone conclusion. But with the way the B's have played at home, the President's Trophy would benefit.

So how the team manages the players will be interesting and certainly not easy.
Exactly

Bergeron decided he could take one more run at the mountain, that in turn convinced DK to return, and most likely neither would have come back if Cassidy was still coach.

There is something going on in that room that is driving them.

We as fans are shocked by this and I suspect management is as well. The room however doesn't seem surprised.

That speaks volumes.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
16460FB5-8DBE-4FEC-B5AE-237848DDFD9B.png

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I doubt the players actually want to do it, but I’d be fine with giving both Bergeron and Krejci some games off, especially once we’ve officially clinched home ice through through playoffs. Maybe foligno too.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I doubt the players actually want to do it, but I’d be fine with giving both Bergeron and Krejci some games off, especially once we’ve officially clinched home ice through through playoffs. Maybe foligno too.
This is a discussion for after the trade dead line . You have to consider cap implications when making these decisions before the TDL. Sitting someone means adding to your roster possibly . After the dead line rest any player that management and coaching staff feels a couple extra days off would be beneficial for.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
I absolutely think they need to consider this. Everyone should have a couple "rest" days leading up to the playoffs.

Yes, the players are capable of playing every game. However, by taking a game off here and there, you automatically lessen the likelihood of an injury. We're getting to the point of the season where a caught edge, borderline hit into the boards, or a goalie overextending can lead to an injury leaving one questionable for the playoffs.

Here's the other thing, by taking these games off, the players and coaches will get used to mixing the lines and pairings up a bit more. We know how important matchups are in the playoffs.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Instead of sitting him for games and risking he gets a bit rusty, or maybe it affects his Selke chances and maybe he wants to win another, what about just reversing the mintues for the team? Have him play maybe 12-14 mintues for a few games here and there, take him off the PK as well? Have the 4th and 3rd line take on more minutes instead

The Hockey Gods have the Bruins covered.

The all star weekend break is followed by their bye week. They play 1 game between Jan 30 and Feb 10.

Get to TDL then start worrying about resting guys.
For some reason I thought bye weeks were gone

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
If our cap situations will cooperate Im all for resting the top guys a game or two/three down the stretch

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Bergy's minutes are clearly down from previous seasons, I think Monty has done a great job of not riding the Captain too hard. Krejci, too.

I think it should come down to health- the Bruins won't achieve squat if Bergeron, #63, Krejci & maybe Foligno are trying to nurse injuries (not dings, injuries) & play playoff level hockey at the same time- these guys are older, they need more time to heal/rest than the younger guys. If they don't like sitting out that's just too bad. This is their last shot at a Cup and they should think of it as taking one for the team.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Bruins schedule is brutal the last month and a half of the season ... it would probably be wise to manage recovery time between games for all the players; and if that means players are held out of games at certain times - so be it ... especially the older players.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
knowing what we do about Bergy, anyone here think for one moment he`d accept a load management game off other than a rest for a game at the end of the year? Not me, there are ways to do this in game

agree - also, we talk a lot about not effing with chemistry in the form of trades - well, this is a more subtle way to eff with chemistry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad