Management Bruins GM Don Sweeney discusses Bruins moves at trade deadline - 4/12/21

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Great moves made by the Bruins. The team that was a big winner of the Trade Deadline from my perspective. Will be interesting to see how Hall performs in
Boston.

Reactions: Blowfish

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Admittedly this is the most unfair comment that one could probably make and probably 5 GM's could ask this question every season but this thought came into my head while reading the Taylor Hall comments about last night's game and I'm really only bringing this up out of curiosity, but if the Bruins were to get to the finals and lose:

When Sweeney thinks back to the deadline, who is the player that he regrets not ponying up enough to get, that could have been the difference between winning a cup and losing? Maybe there isn't anyone that he made a pitch for and I know there are no guarantees even if he brought McDavid in here, just an interesting observation.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I have been a big Sweeney critic but he did well at this deadline. He didn't give up much and made the best attempt at improving the lineup. I wanted Montour but in order to outbid Florida he would have had to part with his 2nd which he needed to get Hall so it makes sense. Mike Reilly is a low-risk pickup. Basically acquired the best chance at an impact offensive player without giving up anything considerable in the future. A+ on this deadline no matter what happens going forward.

It will be interesting to see if Hall puts his money where his mouth is and signs an extension in the 6-6.5 mill range or goes to play for a bottom feeder who pays the highest dollar again. If he has any degree of success my guess is he cashes in elsewhere. He comes off as so intelligent in interviews but he has been the definition of all talk and no action when it comes to matching words with play and pursuing championships.
Are we going to wait and see what happens before we throw 6 mil at this guy? There is a reason why he came cheap. 2 goals. Yes he’s on a better team but let’s not jump to sign him before the season is over.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
i guess this might as well be the Sweeney thread now...

man...I was wrong about this guy. He's made his mistakes but I really thought he just wasn't able to close on the big deal we needed and the guy finally did it. The Reilly & Lazar additions are brilliant too.

I was probably more down on Sweeney than I have ever been just a couple weeks ago, but the man deserves credit & respect. I especially appreciate that he didn't sell or stand pat. This core deserves another run and he has done his part to let them have it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
i guess this might as well be the Sweeney thread now...

man...I was wrong about this guy. He's made his mistakes but I really thought he just wasn't able to close on the big deal we needed and the guy finally did it. The Reilly & Lazar additions are brilliant too.

I was probably more down on Sweeney than I have ever been just a couple weeks ago, but the man deserves credit & respect. I especially appreciate that he didn't sell or stand pat. This core deserves another run and he has done his part to let them have it.

1000 percent. I have been a fan more often than not of his, but watching this team early just made me furious he didn't improve it in the summer...he had a plan and it's looking good.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
This season has been a tease of prospects. We have a lot of young kids that can grab spots. Remember the stinky carousel of poopy prospects from 2010-2014?

We actually have first rounders playing entire seasons (albeit with injuries but before we would trade for a 7th defenseman) in the big club and staying up. Before they would get 1-3 games in.

Sweeney draft has been decent to good.
Sweeneys trades have been 50/50 (again you hope you get the player you traded for).
His signings have been god like. How do you sign pasta,bergy,marchy for these prices?!?!

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He deserves it...best deadline moves he's made to date. Improved the D, top 6, and bottom 6 without giving up crazy amount of assets. And very minimal risk - Cough Cough Nash.

Agreed. I'm his biggest critic but he nailed the trade deadline.

Sweeney is a genius when it comes to defense. The Reilly acquisition for a 3rd was high-way robbery. A win- win for both teams as the Sens recently just gave up a 5th for Reilly from Montreal and then after moving Reilly, they opened up a spot to claim Mette off waivers from the habs. So what makes this deal extra special for me is the Bruins win the trade big time and in a round about way at the expense of the Canadiens.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agreed. I'm his biggest critic but he nailed the trade deadline.
an argument can be made that he had a decent return on last year`s deadline too as Ritchie only played about 7-8 games prior to the playoffs and looked horrible however, after a bit of time with the boys, training camp and now regular season, looks like a real nice acquisition, obviously Kase hasn`t worked out, there was always going to be risk trading for a guy with concussion issues but Ritchie playing a rather significant role combined with the 3 this past deadline, that`s almost 1/4 of your starting lineup filled by trade targets, pretty solid

Reactions: inactive user

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I gotta go with an A+ as well. I gave an A- because I wanted the Bruins to get a defencemen who could play 20 minutes a night. Mike Reilly has proven to be that guy. While I am not 100% sold on him defensively, the two biggest needs were addressed and Lazar helps on the 4th line next season.

Reactions: inactive user

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
an argument can be made that he had a decent return on last year`s deadline too as Ritchie only played about 7-8 games prior to the playoffs and looked horrible however, after a bit of time with the boys, training camp and now regular season, looks like a real nice acquisition, obviously Kase hasn`t worked out, there was always going to be risk trading for a guy with concussion issues but Ritchie playing a rather significant role combined with the 3 this past deadline, that`s almost 1/4 of your starting lineup filled by trade targets, pretty solid
Kase was a good try I’ll give Sweeney that. Toronto had to let go of a first just to get rid of Marleau at least we got something in return for unloading Backes.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Kase was a good try I’ll give Sweeney that. Toronto had to let go of a first just to get rid of Marleau at least we got something in return for unloading Backes.
The Leafs also freed up over $6M in cap space in that deal. The Bruins only got just less than $1M.

I’m still holding out hope that Kase can contribute during the playoffs playing the MoJo role on Coyle’s right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad