Management Bruins GM Don Sweeney discusses Bruins moves at trade deadline - 4/12/21

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You can’t say Sweeney doesn’t try to make us better every year when where in contention

2017-18
Nash
Holden
Wingels
Gionta

2018-19
Johansson
Coyle

2019-20
Kase
Ritchie

2020-21
Hall
Reilly
Lazar

2 of the last 4 years he got the biggest deadline pick up on the market in Nash and Hall
eh, it will just get memory-holed by next deadline... again.

Making good decisions doesn't guarantee SC success.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020

Playoff success is never guaranteed. The best thing a general manager can do is put their team in a position where they have as good a shot as anybody else and I think Don did just that. Say what you want about Sweeney but he is never quiet at the deadline. Sure Nash and Kase didn't seem to work out but it seems all people focus on are the negatives. Coyle and Johansson were a big part of that cup run in 2019. Chances are nobody knows who is going to win the cup that's the beauty of the sport. It's always a gamble.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Hall with Coyle is he sleep deprived, bad idea

Lets fix the 2nd line before doing anything with Coyle's line.

Give him to Krech, he deserves a very good left winger. Hall did not come here to play 3rd line.
Hall- Krech- Pasta

Hall at speed backs up the other teams dee. That creates room for Pasta to be hit with a pass at speed with someone that can keep up to him and is a good playmaker. Krech can dish the one timers to Pasta, double the chances of getting him back into form. Krech will get Hall scoring again as can Pasta, he is a good passer himself.

This way they gain an good 2nd line LW and get regain the RW they wanted with a rejuvenated Pasta.

Smith has been great with Bergy and Marshy. Lets get Pasta going again and reward Hall with a 1B line.

Coyle will have to figure it out with Jake and Ritchie, maybe Kase comes back, though I doubt it.

Forth line of Kuraly - Lazar and Wags can be pretty decent.

We see this exactly the same way

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I want Smith back with Bergeron & Marchand .Krecji with Hall & Pastrnak and Coyle with Ritchie & DeBrusk..4th line Wagner Kuraly and Lazar .Thats my setup but pretty sure that will not happen.
my guess is they are worried about those 3 in their own end. Only thing I can think of why they they wouldnt put those 3 together.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Well this will likely answer the question of is it the coach or the gm

Does he utilize the player sweeney got?

incredible time to get hall, Bruins really lucked out with this situation

could go down as Sweeney’s best trade yet when all said and done. When you think about what we gave up for Nash? Yeesh

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Well this will likely answer the question of is it the coach or the gm

Does he utilize the player sweeney got?

incredible time to get hall, Bruins really lucked out with this situation

could go down as Sweeney’s best trade yet when all said and done. When you think about what we gave up for Nash? Yeesh
Kinda makes me forget the Seguin debacle so happy about this deal. People still remind me of Tyler. Takes a bit of the sting.

Reactions: norwoodmustang

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Sweeney has been reading my posts again. The sober ones anyway.

Id play Hall with Coyle. There’s your Kessel on the 3rd line matchup problem right there.

You can always move guys around too. It’s not like they’re locked in together unless it’s Bergeron and Marchand who are apparently the Sedin twins reincarnated.

I wish I knew how to type when sober.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Who was Hall skating with in Buffalo?

Primarily Reinhart, Eichel and Staal, and sometimes Cozens and Thompson. Reinhart is a solid player, Eichel of course is A grade, and Staal's quality can't be denied even if he's well past his best. Even so, and looking beyond the obvious different situations and performance of the two teams overall, a motivated Krejci is a step up for Hall over everyone in Buffalo except Eichel, and then it just depends who skates on their right.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
I have been a big Sweeney critic but he did well at this deadline. He didn't give up much and made the best attempt at improving the lineup. I wanted Montour but in order to outbid Florida he would have had to part with his 2nd which he needed to get Hall so it makes sense. Mike Reilly is a low-risk pickup. Basically acquired the best chance at an impact offensive player without giving up anything considerable in the future. A+ on this deadline no matter what happens going forward.

It will be interesting to see if Hall puts his money where his mouth is and signs an extension in the 6-6.5 mill range or goes to play for a bottom feeder who pays the highest dollar again. If he has any degree of success my guess is he cashes in elsewhere. He comes off as so intelligent in interviews but he has been the definition of all talk and no action when it comes to matching words with play and pursuing championships.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
So was Bery- Marchand and Smith

Would rather see Pasta- Krech and Hall

That's 2 killer lines, somebody needs to get Pasta back to where he was last year, all have failed

Hall analytics #1 in league in passing to slot
I think Hall-Krejci-Pasta is one too many guys who need the puck on their stick. It could work in time if the guys develop chemistry, but I think with Hall & Krejci, having a guy with a simpler game like Smith will complement them better. He can forecheck, fish for rebounds, etc. I think if you start with Hall-Krejci-Pasta, they are likely to get a little too cute.

member 96824

I think Hall-Krejci-Pasta is one too many guys who need the puck on their stick. It could work in time if the guys develop chemistry, but I think with Hall & Krejci, having a guy with a simpler game like Smith will complement them better. He can forecheck, fish for rebounds, etc. I think if you start with Hall-Krejci-Pasta, they are likely to get a little too cute.

Or DeBrusk too. You just sit him down and say "Jake, the game's going to be very simple for you. You're playing with Hall and Krejci. Your job, skate north and south, tap in pucks. When we're in the offensive zone, your job? Find open space within 10 feet of the net...and tap in pucks"

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Or DeBrusk too. You just sit him down and say "Jake, the game's going to be very simple for you. You're playing with Hall and Krejci. Your job, skate north and south, tap in pucks. When we're in the offensive zone, your job? Find open space within 10 feet of the net...and tap in pucks"
maybe but I have less faith in Jake's ability to forecheck & win pucks right now.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021

No, no it does not. However, making the right moves like Sweeney has done this year (and I still maintain he did last year, too) is the best place to start.

Have too many middle-six complimentary types? Trade one of them for an upgrade.

Have struggling, overworked young defenders after getting a look at them all season leading up the the deadline? Add a second-pairing moving type.

Have struggling fourth-line grinders who haven’t been bringing energy, hustle or consistent grit? Add one for pennies at the deadline.

These moves are good whether or not they win the cup for sure, but I’d say addressing those needs was absolutely done and done well by Sweeney before 3:00 p.m. yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad