The Athletic - Boston Bruins give thumbs up to new lighting in TD Garden as preseason action begins

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I was there I didn't mind it live. The ice was very white no tints at all and no shadows.

Were there shadows in the Garden last year? The rink we played on in Shenzen had some MAJOR shadows going on - so much that I literally commented on it, because I didn't remember seeing them before.

I'm kind of warming up (pun intended) to the LED lights the more I think about it - especially if it's the players who ask for it. I can't wait until we get some decent ice - it's kind of embarrassing that the Hub of Hockey has some of the worst ice in the NHL, at least from what I hear.

I can't figure out why they don't occasionally flash up some statistics - or at least some fun stuff for the kiddies - on one of the advertising ring. I literally tune it out, and if I'm not seeing your advertising, I'm not buying your brand of widgets.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I agree with wintersej - for the first period, I sat up in the 300s. The area around me seemed MUCH darker, and the top rows looked like they were absolutely dark, but I'm willing to accept that as a possible optical illusion. The brighter ice was IMMEDIATELY noticeable - it was about as subtle as a Shawn Thornton hit. When I went down to the loge after first intermission to do my duty and fill a seat (so the Bruins wouldn't be embarrassed, of course!), the area around me seemed like it was just normal brightness.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm generally not a fan of the brighter arenas. Then again, I've always been a bit of a vampire when it comes to light - to this day, I hate getting my eyes dilated at the ophtho because it's just SO bright afterwards. People on my Twitter feed liked it, and if it reduces glare, gets better quality TV shots, and most importantly helps the players, I'm all for it.

BTW, the ice seemed god awful to my non-hockey-playing eyes. Can't wait for 2019-20. The other cool change at the Garden is a mysterious gap between Milt's number and Terry's number that should be filled in November...
Sounds nifty

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Not to get overly technical, but one of the inherent qualities of LED lighting is to put a lot of light on task. This is why you see much lower wattages when LED is used to replace traditional light sources. Because of that more focused light, areas outside the "task space" (in this case the ice) will often be darker because there is less ambient light. This can be fixed by installing some secondary lights to fill that in.

I don't know what LED system was installed, but Philips makes a "tunable" fixture that allows you to adjust the color of the LED's. This is significant because with LED lighting the amount of lumens given off is directly related to the color of the light. The whiter/bluer the color temperature, the more light you get. The practical application is that you can adjust the color temp of the fixture until you get the right amount of light for that setting. If the lighting at TD Garden is deemed to be "too bright" (although the players didn't seem to have an issue with it), it can always be adjusted by changing the color temp of the LED's.

https://www.osram.us/ls/projects/td-garden/index.jsp

One hundred sixty-six 1000W quartz metal halide luminaires, which served as house lights providing general arena lighting, were replaced with 220W LED luminaires with OSRAM LEDs and OPTOTRONIC® power supplies, resulting in 78 percent energy savings and improving the lighting quality. SLS partnered with a local firm to develop an LED luminaire that would reduce wattage while maintaining light output, which enabled TD Garden to continue operation without interruption.

In the management administrative area, 386 two-foot by two-foot 59W T8 fluorescent luminaires were replaced with 37W 2x2 OSRAM LED luminaires, generating 42 percent energy savings.

SLS designed a complete architectural photometric layout of each space to demonstrate how the new luminaires would perform after installation. Due to improved illumination, the luminaire count was reduced from 386 to 360 luminaires as part of SLS’s redesign, generating additional cost savings. SLS also tuned the lights appropriately for individual employees in the area, without sacrificing the overall ambient look.

In the stairwells, 412 56W fluorescent luminaires were replaced with 36W LED luminaires. The luminaires feature an onboard occupancy sensor that detects if the stairwell is occupied. When it is, illumination (capped at 80 percent of full output) is provided; when it is not, light level is reduced to 20 percent so that these safety lights are on at all times.

The 36 percent reduction in power is therefore significantly enhanced via ongoing light level reduction. Due to the challenges of retrofit installation involving new control wiring—difficult access coupled with a concrete envelope—the lighting controls communicate using wireless radio signals.

A variety of other spaces, from premium meeting spaces to lavatories, were also upgraded in detail. In the Madison Square Garden room, which is used for corporate functions and meetings, TD Garden tasked SLS with a complete redesign of the lighting with the primary goal not being energy savings, but instead producing an upscale décor. The expert team at the SLS Design Center developed a layout that met both those objectives. Custom pendant LED luminaires were mounted over the bar for a visible upscale look, and recessed LED downlights contribute most of the functional lighting. As a result, nearly 2,000 kWh of energy savings annually was achieved by combining good design and decorative equipment with energy-efficient light sources.

Reactions: Boston Bruno

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Fen, thanks for the info.

From my experience (I work for an electrical distributor), Osram/Sylvania is a big "name", but they would be one of the last manufacturers I would use. They don't make their own LED product and have had a lot of recalls.

SLS is out of NY I believe?

There are some good lighting design people in the Boston area. Would have been nice to see Jacobs keep the business local.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not to get overly technical, but one of the inherent qualities of LED lighting is to put a lot of light on task. This is why you see much lower wattages when LED is used to replace traditional light sources. Because of that more focused light, areas outside the "task space" (in this case the ice) will often be darker because there is less ambient light. This can be fixed by installing some secondary lights to fill that in.

I don't know what LED system was installed, but Philips makes a "tunable" fixture that allows you to adjust the color of the LED's. This is significant because with LED lighting the amount of lumens given off is directly related to the color of the light. The whiter/bluer the color temperature, the more light you get. The practical application is that you can adjust the color temp of the fixture until you get the right amount of light for that setting. If the lighting at TD Garden is deemed to be "too bright" (although the players didn't seem to have an issue with it), it can always be adjusted by changing the color temp of the LED's.

I love it when people know about non-hockey things here. I was in like row 10 of the 300s and the people behind me looked like they were in a cave.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I love it when people know about non-hockey things here. I was in like row 10 of the 300s and the people behind me looked like they were in a cave.

They should probably add some additional lighting. Maybe that's part of a future upgrade? I mean, it's not necessary for the product on the ice, but aesthetically speaking, it would be a more pleasant experience.

For another example, just look at a car lot that has HID Lighting (standard older stuff) vs the newer LED fixtures. You would drive by and the light would be everywhere, spilling into streets, neighboring businesses, etc. Now when you drive by, the light will be concentrated completely on the lot itself and vehicles. In this example, it's a great thing to have no light trespass, but at the Garden, the overall look is part of the ambiance.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fen, thanks for the info.

From my experience (I work for an electrical distributor), Osram/Sylvania is a big "name", but they would be one of the last manufacturers I would use. They don't make their own LED product and have had a lot of recalls.

SLS is out of NY I believe?

There are some good lighting design people in the Boston area. Would have been nice to see Jacobs keep the business local.

Looks like they used Phillips for some of the work

upload_2018-9-17_13-38-20.png

Reactions: northeastern

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
I agree with wintersej - for the first period, I sat up in the 300s. The area around me seemed MUCH darker, and the top rows looked like they were absolutely dark, but I'm willing to accept that as a possible optical illusion. The brighter ice was IMMEDIATELY noticeable - it was about as subtle as a Shawn Thornton hit. When I went down to the loge after first intermission to do my duty and fill a seat (so the Bruins wouldn't be embarrassed, of course!), the area around me seemed like it was just normal brightness.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm generally not a fan of the brighter arenas. Then again, I've always been a bit of a vampire when it comes to light - to this day, I hate getting my eyes dilated at the ophtho because it's just SO bright afterwards. People on my Twitter feed liked it, and if it reduces glare, gets better quality TV shots, and most importantly helps the players, I'm all for it.

BTW, the ice seemed god awful to my non-hockey-playing eyes. Can't wait for 2019-20. The other cool change at the Garden is a mysterious gap between Milt's number and Terry's number that should be filled in November...

So, hardly noticeable at all, and left you thinking, "Did I just get hit by some guys butt?"

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just went to a 3 day school a few weeks ago for Philips and we covered the Color Kinetics product. I have sold it a few times in the past to colleges, but it’s becoming more prevalent.

It’s pretty cool stuff and about as exciting as it gets in the electrical biz :laugh:

I will dig around when I get back - I would have to think they will have a dazzling display at the new entrance this year.

The big project next summer will be the scoreboard as the entire control room has to be gutted and will move to a new location on Level 9.

mag_header_john_mitchell.jpg

Mully

Oct 7, 2008
Halifax, NS
Just went to a 3 day school a few weeks ago for Philips and we covered the Color Kinetics product. I have sold it a few times in the past to colleges, but it’s becoming more prevalent.

It’s pretty cool stuff and about as exciting as it gets in the electrical biz :laugh:

Hey GD, I work in the electrical biz as well! We redid Scotiabank Center in Halifax with LED lighting a few years ago. It makes a huge difference, looks amazing.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Kind of off topic but anyone know the plan for the new building to be done for use as the main entrance? There seemed to be a lot less metal detectors due to a smaller space in that area but I'm not sure I took the side entrance by the pro shop. Can't wait till that project is done.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The ice plant is going to be moved to ice level where the old proshop was as that should reduce humidity.

TD Garden will be closed for 60 days next summer to replace all seats, install new scoreboard, and implement the additional seating and standing room. They are not doing this on the cheap.
did the Celtics have any involvement with the renovations the team's lease is up in the near future Boston Celtics and Delaware North Companies - Boston Announce Long-Term Extension of the TD Banknorth Garden Lease Agreement | Boston Celtics would they want some green seats as part of a new deal ?

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
did the Celtics have any involvement with the renovations the team's lease is up in the near future Boston Celtics and Delaware North Companies - Boston Announce Long-Term Extension of the TD Banknorth Garden Lease Agreement | Boston Celtics would they want some green seats as part of a new deal ?

Well, the seats in the Club/Suite area are all green...and checkerboarding in loge is gold-ish/greenish, isn't it? (I'm red/green color "blind", so don't mind me if I'm a little off.)

Of course, considering that DNC/Jacobs owns both the Bruins and TD Garden...there's a closer tie there. Add to that the fact that hockey is MUCH more "fussy" in terms of arena issues (ie resurfacers, ice making plant), and I think the Celtics are pretty happy with whatever happens. They have no reason to piss off the Celtics, probably the third largest stream of income related to the Garden (behind the #2 Bruins and the #1...concessions.)

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Well, the seats in the Club/Suite area are all green...and checkerboarding in loge is gold-ish/greenish, isn't it? (I'm red/green color "blind", so don't mind me if I'm a little off.)

Of course, considering that DNC/Jacobs owns both the Bruins and TD Garden...there's a closer tie there. Add to that the fact that hockey is MUCH more "fussy" in terms of arena issues (ie resurfacers, ice making plant), and I think the Celtics are pretty happy with whatever happens. They have no reason to piss off the Celtics, probably the third largest stream of income related to the Garden (behind the #2 Bruins and the #1...concessions.)
St Louis and Seattle have both hosted NBA all star games since Boston last hosted one i wonder if the Celtics are happy with the lack of nba events such as the allstar game

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
St Louis and Seattle have both hosted NBA all star games since Boston last hosted one i wonder if the Celtics are happy with the lack of nba events such as the allstar game

That’s kind of a city problem, isn’t it? Don’t the leagues like to have wide open convention areas? If the arena were, say, in the Seaport area, it might be decent, with the WTC Boston able to host conventions/photo shoots/etc., and with the hotels in that area.

Certainly for the last 2-3 years, any hope of extra events has been quashed by The Dump on Causeway. Perhaps that might be helpful in attracting bids for special league events? I dunno.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Jacobs has given the Celtics such a favorable lease they never will.

Interesting, any reason why? Jacobs doesn't strike me as someone who would give anyone favorable terms in a deal. I'd figure he'd scratch and claw for every penny.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Interesting, any reason why? Jacobs doesn't strike me as someone who would give anyone favorable terms in a deal. I'd figure he'd scratch and claw for every penny.

Jacobs is a billionaire for a reason.

When TD Garden opened in 1995, the Celtics were looking hard at building their own arena ( there was still plenty of land in Boston )

Jacobs offered the Celtics FREE RENT but in return, he wanted the revenue from Level 5 and 6 plus concessions. He also gave the Celtics the rights to sell advertising at courtside and now with the ribbon boards they can put ads all over the building.

The arrangement certainly has not hurt the Celtics bottom line AND they have no debt.

Boston Celtics on the Forbes NBA Team Valuations List

Papa Jacobs thus keeps a competing arena from opening in Boston, and he can play hardball with Disney on Ice, concerts and other events.

Celtics get the first crack at Wednesday and Friday nights which have always been their traditional dates.

Reactions: Chief Nine

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Hey GD, I work in the electrical biz as well! We redid Scotiabank Center in Halifax with LED lighting a few years ago. It makes a huge difference, looks amazing.

Nice, who do you work for?

This biz was not my plan. I was a Comm/Film major, but the pay was for shit. I worked two jobs out of college for about 4/5 years while I was a production guy at a local TV station. Got tired of the 70 hour work weeks, did retail for awhile and then ended up in my current gig.

It’s a job, but I wouldn’t mind doing something a little more fulfilling :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad