GDT: Bruins @ Detroit - Part Duex

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Can we trade Eriksson and Spooner for a stud forward or defenseman?
Our centers are so locked in, I don't see any chance for Spooner to play.
And who knows when Eriksson will find himself?

Great win tonight. Reilly Smith stepped up like a stud. He's definitely looking like top 6 material for us.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Good win tonight.
Hate to ruin the mood but this team is still a big mess.

A big mess of talent that has improved every game. Not sure about you, but I wouldn't trade this roster for any other. Still best in the East! Stay healthy boys!

A Healthy Kelly*

kelly looks better this season because he has been put in a position where he has been forced to assume a more offense-oriented role given (until now ofc) the absence of krejci, the ineffective play of lucic, the terrible performance by fraser thus far, and all others performing below par apart from soda, bergy, and smith up front. it's a league wide... well, realistically, a universal/sports wide trend that is not dissimilar to the term 'good bad team player'. a guy who, while somewhat capable in an area of his game, when made to focus on that area more will naturally produce more effectively in that area. in the past (yes even in that one season of good production offensively he had here) he was relied upon in a checking line role and used as a weapon with which clode could pick his spots (paille). he's been asked (idk this obviously, but he has at the very least assumed) a different role this season. for comparison think: brad stuart pre-red wings and brad stuart with the red wings, or... perhaps johnny b. with the bruins and johnny b. with the islanders. assuming a more comprehensive role as a matter of necessity essentially

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
kelly looks better this season because he has been put in a position where he has been forced to assume a more offense-oriented role given (until now ofc) the absence of krejci, the ineffective play of lucic, the terrible performance by fraser thus far, and all others performing below par apart from soda, bergy, and smith up front. it's a league wide... well, realistically, a universal/sports wide trend that is not dissimilar to the term 'good bad team player'. a guy who, while somewhat capable in an area of his game, when made to focus on that area more will naturally produce more effectively in that area. in the past (yes even in that one season of good production offensively he had here) he was relied upon in a checking line role and used as a weapon with which clode could pick his spots (paille). he's been asked (idk this obviously, but he has at the very least assumed) a different role this season. for comparison think: brad stuart pre-red wings and brad stuart with the red wings, or... perhaps johnny b. with the bruins and johnny b. with the islanders. assuming a more comprehensive role as a matter of necessity essentially

Agreed... i like where Kelly is at right now. That was a real nice defense-into-offense play by the #23 -- awesome pass -- leading to DK's goal in the 1st.

On a side note, please don't change that avatar (i noticed you kept it after the waiver, instinctively knowing that Caron would be back in the organization); it makes me chuckle every time i see it.

A Healthy Kelly*

also can someone explain the wikipedia apricot joke to me re: kelly

A Healthy Kelly*

Agreed... i like where Kelly is at right now. That was a real nice defense-into-offense play by the #23 -- awesome pass -- leading to DK's goal in the 1st.

On a side note, please don't change that avatar (i noticed you kept it after the waiver, instinctively knowing that Caron would be back in the organization); it makes me chuckle every time i see it.

i actually have a pretty funny bartkowski one of the same ilk i made but i decided to not use it cause i knew my boy JC would be back. i will keep using this one until jordan 1) dies 2) is traded

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
If that Paille post ping goes in (nice pass by Gagne to spring him, btw), and we convert on that 3-on-1, we win a rather more convincing 4-2 in reg.

The effort is improving and things have looked more cohesive over the past couple of games. A solid 60 against the habs would be huge for keeping the momentum going.

Or if Howard doesn't totally luck out when he gets a piece of the backhand Gagne lifted in close near the end of the game. Howard just flailed at it in a reflexive desperation move while he was already down and somehow caught enough to prevent a goal.

Howard is a Bruins fan and clearly wants us to get McDavid :laugh: He had some ridiculous stops... but the one i referred to was mostly luck.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
i actually have a pretty funny bartkowski one of the same ilk i made but i decided to not use it cause i knew my boy JC would be back. i will keep using this one until jordan 1) dies 2) is traded

Well #2 will never, ever happen--- even if Chia wanted to. We already know there are no takers and won't ever be any, so it's a pipe dream. And i would never wish death on the kid under any circumstance, so looks like you might have it forever. Jordan has many lives. :laugh:

I personally think Bart could improve, and has already shown himself to be a more capable NHLer than Caron at any rate, but if he proves me wrong then i am sure i would enjoy the Bartkowski version too.

Not yet tho... not for me anyhow. So all the more reason for me to hope you don't change it ;)

A Healthy Kelly*

Well #2 will never, ever happen--- even if Chia wanted to. We already know there are no takers and won't ever be any, so it's a pipe dream. And i would never wish death on the kid under any circumstance, so looks like you might have it forever. Jordan has many lives. :laugh:

I personally think Bart could improve, and has already shown himself to be a more capable NHLer than Caron at any rate, but if he proves me wrong then i am sure i would enjoy the Bartkowski version too.

Not yet tho... not for me anyhow. So all the more reason for me to hope you don't change it ;)

i gotta disagree with you as i unironically think caron has the build+tools to be an effective 15-goal third line winger somewhere, just not here. i am not a fan of bart at all the same way i wasn't a fan of hunwick.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
for the most part the Bruins played great

But I didnt think Spooner played to well and you can tell Claudes not a fan id like to see Cunningham back up as the 4C. And if he puts a good stretch together id trade Campbell to save another million dollars to acquire a better top 6 foward at the deadline.

Also Miller was terrible tonight

And Krug has yet to show up this season he seems to be getting a free pass while Lucic and Marchand are getting crucified

Also Dougie seems to be turning it around which is good to see

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
i gotta disagree with you as i unironically think caron has the build+tools to be an effective 15-goal third line winger somewhere, just not here. i am not a fan of bart at all the same way i wasn't a fan of hunwick.

Fair enough, we agree to disagree. I think if Caron has any role in the NHL it is on a 4th line for a team with less depth than the Bruins. And i don't see him ever potting 15 goals, maybe 10 but whatever... it will not be in Boston.

IMO Bart on the other hand could be a top-4 guy on a lot of NHL teams, not a sparkling top-4 guy but one that can eat minutes whilst facilitating some offense with his skating ability. Without being a glaring liability on defense, either.

Hell i know regular season doesn't count but i thought Bart impressed for a rookie (albeit a 25 y/o rookie) being paired with Boychuk after Seids went down, in the top-4 on a team that won the President's Trophy. Everyone is always talking about how long it takes for young NHL D-men to blossom into what they can be/realize their potential... why is Bart such an exception to this??

He's 26 and has one NHL season under his belt. I'll get my balls busted for it, but i just don't understand why so many people here have totally written him off because of one god-awful playoff series. Sure he was bad but i don't think his career should be defined by that. Oh well, that's what this place is for; discussion/opinions.

A Healthy Kelly*

Fair enough, we agree to disagree. I think if Caron has any role in the NHL it is on a 4th line for a team with less depth than the Bruins. And i don't see him ever potting 15 goals, maybe 10 but whatever... it will not be in Boston.

IMO Bart on the other hand could be a top-4 guy on a lot of NHL teams, not a sparkling top-4 guy but one that can eat minutes whilst facilitating some offense with his skating ability. Without being a glaring liability on defense, either.

Hell i know regular season doesn't count but i thought Bart impressed for a rookie (albeit a 25 y/o rookie) being paired with Boychuk in the top-4 on a team that won the President's Trophy. Everyone is always talking about how long it takes for young NHL D-men to blossom into what they can be/realize their potential... why is Bart such an exception to this??

He's 26 and has one NHL season under his belt. I'll get my balls busted for it, but i just don't understand why so many people here have totally written him off because of one god-awful playoff series. Sure he was bad but i don't think his career should be defined by that. Oh well, that's what this place is for; discussion/opinions.

i think he lacks poise and i doubt his hockey IQ and decision making under pressure very much. his skating is top notch and frankly his entry passes are pretty good, but he crumbles under pressure in all facets and is not that strong... and again, not smart either. i don't think he's a guy who is ever gonna be a good playoff performer. i def respect that you're willing to stick with him though and ofc like every other player wearing black and gold that i don't particularly like i hope he proves me wrong in a substantial way

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Can we trade Eriksson and Spooner for a stud forward or defenseman?
Our centers are so locked in, I don't see any chance for Spooner to play.
And who knows when Eriksson will find himself?

Great win tonight. Reilly Smith stepped up like a stud. He's definitely looking like top 6 material for us.

Eriksson hasn't panned out, but trading him and spooner for a quality RW still leaves us with 1 less top 6 foward. Trading him for a D leaves us with 2 less top 6 forwards.

There's still time left for him to improve. Putting him on our third line w/ the Yeti gives us one of the best third lines in hockey. Plus, right now, his return would be meager. We'd be lucky to get a 20-goal scorer for him, and chances are he'd return to form right after a trade.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Mark my words, Caron will become an effective 4th liner in the next few seasons. No way in hell it's in Boston, and thank god. When he's 27-28 I see him being a consistent contributer at a very low level. Probably give you a 10 goal - 13 assists season.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Eriksson hasn't panned out, but trading him and spooner for a quality RW still leaves us with 1 less top 6 foward. Trading him for a D leaves us with 2 less top 6 forwards.

There's still time left for him to improve. Putting him on our third line w/ the Yeti gives us one of the best third lines in hockey. Plus, right now, his return would be meager. We'd be lucky to get a 20-goal scorer for him, and chances are he'd return to form right after a trade.

If Gagne becomes a factor, he will most likely be our third line RW. And we still have one of the best third lines in the league. Making Loui irrelevant. We need our top lines contributing more than anyone, I would package Eriksson, Spooner and a pick for a legit top 6 RW. I think that could net something good in return.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
If Gagne becomes a factor, he will most likely be our third line RW. And we still have one of the best third lines in the league. Making Loui irrelevant. We need our top lines contributing more than anyone, I would package Eriksson, Spooner and a pick for a legit top 6 RW. I think that could net something good in return.

I agree with this, but it will take time (20-30 games at least) to determine where Gagne is going to fit. I thought he looked awesome tonight, but one game is obviously not enough to make this type of decision.

I'm also hoping that if Gagne starts netting goals, it will light a fire under Eriksson's ass. Best case scenario, 30 games into the season both of them are playing at or near their potential.

A Healthy Kelly*

loui is going to score 20 goals for us this season. smith will too. he won't be traded.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
i think he lacks poise and i doubt his hockey IQ and decision making under pressure very much. his skating is top notch and frankly his entry passes are pretty good, but he crumbles under pressure in all facets and is not that strong... and again, not smart either. i don't think he's a guy who is ever gonna be a good playoff performer. i def respect that you're willing to stick with him though and ofc like every other player wearing black and gold that i don't particularly like i hope he proves me wrong in a substantial way

You could be right. While i am not willing to write him off yet, i do know what you mean and you articulated it well. Refreshing analysis to me, since so many Bart-hate posts are [IMO] extreme in their unequivocal disdain for all things Bartkowski.

He sometimes gives me that vibe that he doesn't know what to do next, too. But i think he is a better hitter and plays with more intensity than a lot of people give him credit for. I am holding out hope (and i know i am not alone on this) that the decision-making/poise can improve with a bit more experience.

Part of it is that he does skate so well -- glad you pointed out that his entry passes aren't bad either -- and can lug the puck up to the red line with such ease that i hope his weaknesses can improve moving forward. Sometimes rookie players can think too much and hurt themselves, especially with the pressure on. I am really hoping that was the case with Bart, but i acknowledge i could be totally wrong.

For the record, i don't think having Bart in the top-4 is ideal in any way, shape or form at this point. But Chia moved Boychuk and created the opening. I think Bart, given the chance to improve, would fit better than McQuaid does with Seidenberg (love Quaider but that pair is just too slow).

As for Miller, he is in his mid-20's same age as Bart and had a lousy series against the Habs too, although he did have a ridiculously sturdy regular season which showed a lot of promise. In a perfect world Boychuk is still here or replaced by a top-4 capable vet during the deadline. Neither Bart, Miller, or McQuaid are ideal but i hold out the most hope that Bart might work with Seids. I accept i am in the minority there :help:

I'm off to bed now, this game had me wired for a while. It felt like a playoff game during that 3rd period and OT especially. This W felt great, and the fact Bergy wasn't hurt is even better (thought he was). But i gotta get up in 5 hours, sorry for the long reply!

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Mark my words, Caron will become an effective 4th liner in the next few seasons. No way in hell it's in Boston, and thank god. When he's 27-28 I see him being a consistent contributer at a very low level. Probably give you a 10 goal - 13 assists season.

I can see Caron being a future Paille

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
I thought Gagne looked awesome tonight. Hopefully he will keep it up and be in our top 9 soon.

Lucic-Krejci-Gagne
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Kelly-Soderberg-Eriksson

or

Lucic-Krejci-Smith
Marchand-Bergeron-Gagne
Kelly-Soderberg-Eriksson

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
That is kind of effort needed lacking true scorers.Get pucks deep be smart n grind..Let them make mistakes..Good game n much needed 2 pts fellas.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Would love to have a true scoring winger for top line n slude lucic to third line with Soderberg n Loui..that be best 3rd line in hockey creating matchup probs .....

HanktheHammer*

Milan "The Invisible Man" needs to be demoted to the 4th line or given a bus ticket to Providence.

Lucic better play like his old self against the Habs tomorrow night. He needs to get a Gordie Howe hattie against the vile and disgusting Habs. If Lucic doesn't punch out the Weasel, that would make a liar that doesn't deserve to wear the Black and Gold jersey.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Lucic still being a turnover machine for us this season, hope his wrist stops bothering him soon (if that is his problem) and he gets his conditioning up to scratch! so nervous when Bergeron was called for that penalty, surprised with Gagne in only his first game looked like the vet he is, felt bad for him being robbed of that backhand in the last few mins by Howard.

Loui, shoot the bloody puck! 2 on 1 and you try the pass again just shoot it. Same to you Smitty or pass it earlier. Marchy...what is going on, he couldn't buy a goal these days even with his salary. Good win, hopefully we can grind down the scabs tomorrow but im going into the game nervous as im sure most of you guys are. Lets Go Bruins! ps Dougie looks much better too.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
good win
is detroit really that bad??

lucic=horrible. hopefully he gets up for the game tonite.
soderberg= beast again. like someone else said, trade louii and spooner for some talent on his wing.

id like to see smith on the first line, and give gagne a try with bergie and marchy.

miller looked lost last nite.
we need a #3 dman badly- mcquaid, miller and bart have all been bad. they are #6 defenseman.

we need to convert on our odd man rushes.
that pass by louii on the 2 on 1? come on man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad