Pre-Game Talk: Bruins at Wings, Wednesday

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
As for people saying what Cherry said was wrong. He never said Nyquist in particular should forecheck like Lucic, he just showed that play as an example. He was saying Detroit is very easy to play against and not physical on the forecheck. Not sure why anyone thinks theres anything wrong with that, Detroit is a soft team. Boston is arguably the toughest and thats part of why theyre so good. I dont think Nyquist should forecheck like Lucic, but the wings should have some more guys that can get physical on the forecheck

"Easy to play against." You know what teams are easy to play against? Edmonton. Florida. Calgary.

Detroit has a bad defensive scheme but they are not "easy to play against" just because they don't crush everyone on the forecheck (which doesn't happen all that often because their strategy is entering the zone and starting the cycle.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I thought the best part of that video was how non-technical Cherry is in his analysis. I can't imagine a coach breaking down a play like that today. It'd be embarrassing.

Or a coach looking at that Killorn forecheck and hit and saying "That's how I want you guys to play."

At a certain point, you have to let up because of the extreme danger to the player on the receiving end of the hit. Headfirst into the boards on a hit from behind is never a play anyone should make.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
to be fair, isnt or shouldnt their be a happy medium between how lucic forechecks and how(in that video) nyquists forechecks?

their has to be something between those two extremes

though no other player can forecheck like lucic all forwards should have to finish their checks and do so with some intensity

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
Yeah I don't know if I want nyquist launching at defenseman just for the sake of wearing them down. I don't know if that's his job. How bout he scores another five or six goals this week. However I think that he might have a point that we don't really have enough heavy hitting gritty types overall.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Do you know who the best forecheckers on Detroit have been the past decade? 13 and 40. Just a year or two ago a NHL defencemen (can't remember exactly who, maybe Hamhuis or someone like that) called them the best in the NHL at it.

Do they do it by crushing guys? No. They've done it with their stick skills, body positioning, IQ, and work ethic. There's a lot of ways to win puck battles and physicality doesn't have to be top priority.

Cherry is a clown.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
to be fair, isnt or shouldnt their be a happy medium between how lucic forechecks and how(in that video) nyquists forechecks?

Why should Nyquist change what's working because some irrelevant loudmouth like Cherry gets on TV and says he should?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
"Easy to play against." You know what teams are easy to play against? Edmonton. Florida. Calgary.

Detroit has a bad defensive scheme but they are not "easy to play against" just because they don't crush everyone on the forecheck (which doesn't happen all that often because their strategy is entering the zone and starting the cycle.

Chicago is a soft team, they beat Boston last year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

their has to be something between those two extremes

though no other player can forecheck like lucic all forwards should have to finish their checks and do so with some intensity

No. Nyquist isn't built ANYTHING like lucic. Nyquist doesn't play hockey the same way Lucic does.

So why would you expect the two to forecheck the same way?

Even if Nyquist tried to, he's not going to be even as close to as effective giving up 30+ lbs

Last edited:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
No. Nyquist isn't built ANYTHING like lucic. Nyquist doesn't play hockey the same way Lucic does?

So why would you expect the two to forecheck the same way.

Even of Nyquist tries to he's not going to be even as close to as effective giving up 30+ lbs

Exactly...its as crazy as asking Lucic to play with Nyquist's skill set.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
To be fair maybe if Nyquist played more like Lucic he wouldn't be stuck at such a barely-better-than-Crosby weak goalscoring rate.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No. Nyquist isn't built ANYTHING like lucic. Nyquist doesn't play hockey the same way Lucic does?

So why would you expect the two to forecheck the same way.

Even of Nyquist tries to he's not going to be even as close to as effective giving up 30+ lbs

wait a second, thats not what I said at all

look at what i wrote again

i said very clearly their HAS to be something between the animal lucic is and the *****cat nyquist is(again i wrote "as seen on that clip")

this has nothing to do with wanting nyquist to be lucic or lucic to be nyquist anymore then asking a player to work on any aspect of his game(we ask that our prospects be good 200ft players but expecting them to be patrice bergeron is almost 100% out of the equation).

too quick to condone cherry as being archaic deludes a more thoughtful discussion

no nyquist can not and will not ever be lucic
no lucic can not and will not ever be nyquist

but neither has anything to do with finishing a check(or scoring a goal.)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Why should Nyquist change what's working because some irrelevant loudmouth like Cherry gets on TV and says he should?[/QUOTE

would you ask sproul to work on his defensive side of the game or just continue with whats working for him?

would you ask a tavares to work on his skating or just continue with whats working for him

being a little harder to play against DOES NOT come at the expense of whats working for you its simply getting better at the game

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
i said very clearly their HAS to be something between the animal lucic is and the *****cat nyquist is(again i wrote "as seen on that clip")

And why should Nyquist change the way he plays because some irrelevant geezer in a bad suit rants on Hockey Night in Canada? That's not the way Nyquist plays.

And you know what? The results speak for themselves.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
And why should Nyquist change the way he plays because some irrelevant geezer in a bad suit rants on Hockey Night in Canada? That's not the way Nyquist plays.

His suits are pretty much the only thing I like about Cherry.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

remember that next time someone says sproul needs to work on his defensive side of the game and not just stick to what got him results...

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
remember that next time someone says sproul needs to work on his defensive side of the game and not just stick to what got him results...

Which has to do with Nyquist how?

Nyquist isn't Lucic...and you know what? He doesn't have to be. Nyquist is producing as he is, despite the criticisms from one person on Hockey Night in Canada. There's a reason Cherry rants on TV rather than coaches hockey anymore.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

That's not even close to the same thing. It's more like asking lidstrom to become physical on defence when a more cerebral game is working for him.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

I see what your saying here, and I understand your point. but there is a big difference between a forward who doesn't play a gritty game but scores. and a Defenseman who's defensive skills are severely lacking, even though they are starting to get better, he still has a way to go. In a few years he is going to be a lot of fun to watch, with his size and that cannon on the back end.

not to side track this thread to much but I'm wondering if we will see a short call up next year for him. If he puts on some more muscle over the summer and continues to improve his defense over the next year I could see Babs giving him 2-3 games late in the year if we are in a good position come next late march. Marchenko/Ouellet/(maybe Backman) will be 1st emergency call ups but if we lock in playoffs early we might get a good look at Sprouls offensive potential in the big leagues.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
That's not even close to the same thing. It's more like asking lidstrom to become physical on defence when a more cerebral game is working for him.

the problem here is people are taking their disdain for cherry to base their opinion

i dont want or expect nyquist to be lucic or to be a "gritty" forward but that is nowhere near the same as saying nyquist could stand to learn to finish his checks more on the forecheck unlike what was shown in the HNIC video clip

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad