Pre-Game Talk: Bruins at Wings, Wednesday

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 10m
Wings on ice for practice. Datsyuk skating as planned. Alfredsson is not practicing. No word yet if he's just taking a maintenance day.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 2m
Based on lines in practice it looks like Datsyuk isn't ready to play, but we'll see what he says after.

Lines: Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen, Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco, Andersson-Helm-Bertuzzi, Miller-Glendeniing-Abdelkader.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1m
Looks like Bertuzzi is holding Alfredsson's place on the third line.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Guessing it's just a rest day for Alfredsson. I'd rather be sure with Dats, so Friday would be a better return giving him a couple more days. Lines looked good. Nothing needs changed.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Datsyuk was skating alone at one end of the rink while top power-play unit practices at other end.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Just hoping for a point in this one, then you have to beat Buffalo in any form. I'd take 3 out of 4 from these next two and hope Columbus and Washington each go 1-1 and gain a point on them with 5 games left.

That's my best case scenario for these next two games

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Legwand taking Alfredsson's place at point on first power play unit with Kronwall; Nyquist-Franzen-Bertuzzi up front.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 31s
Second power-play unit has Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco up front, DeKeyser-Kindl at points.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Legwand taking Alfredsson's place at point on first power play unit with Kronwall; Nyquist-Franzen-Bertuzzi up front.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 31s
Second power-play unit has Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco up front, DeKeyser-Kindl at points.

Two lefty's on the point on the top PP.... But Smith can't be one of them?

*shaking my head*

NyquistIsMyGod*

With the little time Smith's had on it the past week, he's looked real good. Obviously everything else isn't working, give Smith a chance. Isn't he supposed to be an offensive defenseman?

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Are you more interested in defenseman that produce nothing on the PP? Cause we have that in spades.

I'd rather have a player like DeKeyser who I know can at least move the puck without having to cross my fingers that it doesn't get turned over or is a terrible pass. Smith is just too shaky for my liking on the point on the PP

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'd rather have a player like DeKeyser who I know can at least move the puck without having to cross my fingers that it doesn't get turned over or is a terrible pass. Smith is just too shaky for my liking on the point on the PP

DD would be alright if he could break into the zone effectively. He can't.

Smith is not so shaky that you can't have him in a situation where his team is at the advantage. I think that line of reasoning is way off the mark.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
DD would be alright if he could break into the zone effectively. He can't.

Smith is not so shaky that you can't have him in a situation where his team is at the advantage. I think that line of reasoning is way off the mark.

Agree, and to add to this....

I'm not interested in Smith turning the puck over constantly on the PP

He's considerably better with the puck in the offensive zone than the defensive zone. Doesn't face the same pressure and rarely makes the same bone headed plays in the O Zone.

His speed and ability to handle the puck almost gives us another forward essentially, which is huge since we struggle as a team to gain the zone and set up the cycle on the PP on a nightly basis. I see him do that all the time at ES in games when we are down late and pushing for a goal.

I ubderstand the risk, and I don't deny there is one. But the potential benefits outweigh the risks IMO.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
their pp zone entries are almost laughably bad. everyone knows what they will do. d man skates the puck up, without speed, realizes no one is open or can't see it, drop pass to the F coming from behind who turns it over or dumps it in and loses the chase.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 49m
Mike Babcock under impression Pavel Datsyuk playing Friday when Red Wings host Buffalo. Up to Datsyuk when he returns.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 50m
Babcock said he thinks Datsyuk will return Friday vs. Buffalo. He didn't know Datsyuk hadn't ruled out Wednesday.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
their pp zone entries are almost laughably bad. everyone knows what they will do. d man skates the puck up, without speed, realizes no one is open or can't see it, drop pass to the F coming from behind who turns it over or dumps it in and loses the chase.

Yeah, so predictable. Both Nyquist and Tatar tend to hold onto the puck too long on entry. Tats is really bad about it. Needs to be changed up. Hell, I'd love to see Helmer or Smith try the entry.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yeah, so predictable. Both Nyquist and Tatar tend to hold onto the puck too long on entry. Tats is really bad about it. Needs to be changed up. Hell, I'd love to see Helmer or Smith try the entry.

that's where they really miss datsyuk or zett. they do the same thing but at least they can carry it to the zone. or D with lidström-lite vision and decision-making. we were so spoiled for years when he always made the right decision on those zone entries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad