Pre-Game Talk: Bruins at Wings, Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This has forever been the case. And its pointless. He's played plenty with Hossa, Neal, Iginla and Malkin on his wing and hasn't done significantly better than he has with the Kunitz, Dupuis, and Fedotenko types.

Just because a player is good doesn't mean they thrive alongside other All-Stars. Often times, they need to be the only go-to guy for things to work out best.

His scoring pace is always insanely large it's pretty difficult to tell if adding a star player to his wing is actually helping.

And speaking of the Pens/Boston game, hard for me to ignore former Stars players have 9 points in that game. So if you ever feel a little annoyed Filppula or Hudler are having a good year, it could be worse. :laugh:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
This has forever been the case. And its pointless. He's played plenty with Hossa, Neal, Iginla and Malkin on his wing and hasn't done significantly better than he has with the Kunitz, Dupuis, and Fedotenko types.

Just because a player is good doesn't mean they thrive alongside other All-Stars. Often times, they need to be the only go-to guy for things to work out best.

Crosby has killed it with when he's had neal on his wing. at least offensively.

hossa was only for short time. he wasn't given good chance to work with iggy, some bc of injury, some bc of bylsma.

no reason to play malkin on his wing regularly. they do get an odd shift here or there when other team ices the puck.

he does seem to work better with grinders though. or maybe it's just bylsma.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 2m
Datsyuk not practicing today.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 35s
Ken Holland said Datsyuk had been ruled out for Wednesday's game vs. Boston.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 2m
Top six forward group at #RedWings practice = Zetterberg, Franzen, Alfredsson, Helm, Abdelkader, Nyquist.

Weiss???

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1m
Wings skating with these lines: Franzen-Zetterberg-Nyquist, Abdelkader-Helm-Alfredsson, Miller-Andersson-Tatar, Cleary-Weiss-Samuelsson.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
And he is a better winger than Abdelkader.

yeah when he has been at his best. so far he has 3 points for the season. and even abby has 8. weiss has been center for his whole career an was brought here as a center.

if darren helm comes off of an 18 month break and outplays you, you don't deserve to be in top 6.

well that sort of applies to abby too but he's payed about 3 times less and brings some other dimensions.

Either way it appears these are practice lines, sort of what we've seen before and probably won't be tomorrow's lines.

yeah, it's possible.

tunasnacks*

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 2m
Datsyuk not practicing today.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 35s
Ken Holland said Datsyuk had been ruled out for Wednesday's game vs. Boston.

Well son of a *****...

Looks like I'm going to be spending more on beer at this game than anticipated...

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
Well son of a *****...

Looks like I'm going to be spending more on beer at this game than anticipated...

Me too. Very disappointed that I won't get to see Datsuyk play. Good thing they come to Philadelphia in a couple months so I can see him play then.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 7 min
Babcock said Gustavsson starting tomorrow vs. Boston

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 6 min
Babcock said there is no goalie controversy. They're going only as far as Howard takes them. But Howard needs a breather to regroup.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And he is a better winger than Abdelkader.

Either way it appears these are practice lines, sort of what we've seen before and probably won't be tomorrow's lines.

Really think they should play Weiss at wing, at least short term, in the top 6 with some capable linemates, just to get him going. He's never going to find his game playing with Sammy and Cleary.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

Babcock said there is no goalie controversy. They're going only as far as Howard takes them. But Howard needs a breather to regroup.

Fair enough, no problem with that

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I like it. Gustavsson deserves another game, and Howie needs to take some time and clear his head.

Electric Thunder

Jul 19, 2011
Oklahoma
Nyquist up
Tatar up
Cleary/Sammy on the 4th line
Gus getting a well-deserved 2nd start

ron-swanson-on-snake-juice-o.gif

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
I still don't think there's anyway Gustavsson takes Howard's starting job, but you never know. If Gus steals us a couple wins and plays well and Howard tanks, we could see it. I'm hoping that's not the case because I don't trust Gustavsson come playoff time

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I still don't think there's anyway Gustavsson takes Howard's starting job, but you never know. If Gus steals us a couple wins and plays well and Howard tanks, we could see it. I'm hoping that's not the case because I don't trust Gustavsson come playoff time

Plus, who wants a $5M backup?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Howard will get every chance and then some to keep his #1 position. But right now Howard isn't winning us games. I think it's absolutely the right decision to give Gus some more starts. Maybe Howard indeed needs a break to regroup.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Of course Babcocks says that, and it's mostly true that this team only has a legit chance to go far with an in-form Jimmy between the pipes. But if he isn't our best option to win, who cares if he's supposed to be our #1.

I think he'll come around, but there's no need to force it at this stage.

yeah when he has been at his best. so far he has 3 points for the season. and even abby has 8. weiss has been center for his whole career an was brought here as a center.

if darren helm comes off of an 18 month break and outplays you, you don't deserve to be in top 6.

well that sort of applies to abby too but he's payed about 3 times less and brings some other dimensions.

I wouldn't mind if we kick-started Weiss a bit, put him with Z and Gus. We need his upside.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Plus, who wants a $5M backup?

Don't think Howie would be relegated to backup status after one bad season. This offseason would be a good time to move him imo. Teams like Florida, Islanders, Winnipeg, Buffalo, St. Louis and Minnesota could be interested in him, maybe Philly as well if Mason doesn't hold it together all year. I think resigning Gustavsson to a 2-3 year deal (2-2.5M per) and promoting Mrazek could be the way to go next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad