News Article: Bruins are in the unfamiliar role of underdogs

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...e-underdogs/mOfgXaWq5NMda3ufnWinhK/story.html

it’s certainly different, if nothing else. For the entirety of Krug’s career — and even earlier — the Bruins have been picked at or near the top of their division. They have been lauded and feared, with a playoff berth an assumption rather than a question.

Not this year.

To recap: The Bruins suffered through key injuries last season — David Krejci, Zdeno Chara, Adam McQuaid, Dougie Hamilton — while enduring underperformance throughout the lineup. It cost them the playoffs, their general manager, their first-line left wing, and their defenseman of the future.

Enter: Don Sweeney, Jimmy Hayes, Matt Beleskey, a whole bunch of inexperienced defensemen, altered expectations, and a new feeling on Causeway Street.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I said it earlier in the summer, this team is eerily similar to 2007-08. New bodies coming in, with an already solidified core. Should be a fun year. Thursday can't come soon enough.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
For the young guys I'd agree, they're in an unfamiliar role but for the "core" of this team they're in a very familiar spot.

Very excited for this season, if nothing else but to see the change that's happened.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
The B's were the underdogs in 2011 against the Nucks.

as well as every series prior that year except either the Habs or Flyers one. Even if it was the Habs one, we were certainly underdogs after Game 2. But definitely against the Nucks. I remember these bold predictions:

"Canucks in 4"
"At worst, Canucks win in 5"
"Canucks in 3"

BigBadBruins63*

When you're on top you can only go down.

When you're down you can only go up.

Go Bruins!!!! :yo:

Unless your Edmonton who continues to go down, down, down, all while being gifted stud players year after year. :shakehead :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...e-underdogs/mOfgXaWq5NMda3ufnWinhK/story.html

it’s certainly different, if nothing else. For the entirety of Krug’s career — and even earlier — the Bruins have been picked at or near the top of their division. They have been lauded and feared, with a playoff berth an assumption rather than a question.

Not this year.

To recap: The Bruins suffered through key injuries last season — David Krejci, Zdeno Chara, Adam McQuaid, Dougie Hamilton — while enduring underperformance throughout the lineup. It cost them the playoffs, their general manager, their first-line left wing, and their defenseman of the future.

Enter: Don Sweeney, Jimmy Hayes, Matt Beleskey, a whole bunch of inexperienced defensemen, altered expectations, and a new feeling on Causeway Street.

not sure if I`m a glutton for pain and punishment but I kind of like the B`s in the role of the underdog

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Last night on NHL network, Tortorella (who I don't like behind the bench and am luke warm on as an analyst) said is "surprise" team this year was Boston. He felt that they'd make the playoffs, that Krejci would bounce back with a huge year, that Belesky would be a tremendous fit and that the backline would come together enough to be a playoff team. This all was said knowing Chara was banged up and Seids was hurt.

Nice to hear at least one person not belittling the front office, but just looking at the squad and making an assessment.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Last night on NHL network, Tortorella (who I don't like behind the bench and am luke warm on as an analyst) said is "surprise" team this year was Boston. He felt that they'd make the playoffs, that Krejci would bounce back with a huge year, that Belesky would be a tremendous fit and that the backline would come together enough to be a playoff team. This all was said knowing Chara was banged up and Seids was hurt.

Nice to hear at least one person not belittling the front office, but just looking at the squad and making an assessment.

and possibly thinking if he`s kind and says nice things, possibly a candidate for a coaching job with em if things go sideways;)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
as well as every series prior that year except either the Habs or Flyers one. Even if it was the Habs one, we were certainly underdogs after Game 2. But definitely against the Nucks. I remember these bold predictions:

"Canucks in 4"
"At worst, Canucks win in 5"
"Canucks in 3"

Sucks we got swept :sarcasm:

I remember walking into game # 3 against the Nucks in Boston ....There were 5 Nuck fans sitting in my section (about 10 rows behind my seats) ...When I walked in they said "We bought tickets for this game and game 4 so we can watch the Nucks skating on your ice with the cup"...What could I say...the B's had lost (not by much) the first two in Vancouver ?

...after the game (B's 8-1 :D) I walked by them and they said "Oh..we want to win on home ice".. I said..."You and your Nucks are going down"

What a fun time that was.

Also fun in 2013 when the Pens were supposed to sweep the B's. Still love watching Marchy beat that ass cooke to the puck and score:laugh:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I remember walking into game # 3 against the Nucks in Boston ....There were 5 Nuck fans sitting in my section (about 10 rows behind my seats) ...When I walked in they said "We bought tickets for this game and game 4 so we can watch the Nucks skating on your ice with the cup"...What could I say...the B's had lost (not by much) the first two in Vancouver ?

...after the game (B's 8-1 :D) I walked by them and they said "Oh..we want to win on home ice".. I said..."You and your Nucks are going down"

What a fun time that was.

Also fun in 2013 when the Pens were supposed to sweep the B's. Still love watching Marchy beat that ass cooke to the puck and score:laugh:
I can't blame the Canucks fans for feeling confident that they would win after being up by two but it was still arrogant and rude for them to verbalize those feelings towards you . The Canucks and there fans got what they deserved .

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I can't blame the Canucks fans for feeling confident that they would win after being up by two but it was still arrogant and rude for them to verbalize those feelings towards you . The Canucks and there fans got what they deserved .

The Canucks fans were "feeling confident" (and obnoxiously so) well before they went up by 2. The talk of a sweep, and threads titled "Should we lose one on purpose so we can win it at home" started as soon as the Conference Championships were decided. According to many Canucks fans, the Bruins didn't stand a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad