Confirmed with Link: Bruins aquire Shane Bowers from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for goaltender Keith Kinkaid.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Bowers was a popular prospect for us for a long time. Everybody kept penciling him in for 4C duties every summer, but he never really forced his way into a call-up with his AHL play.

Nonetheless, he did look OK in the one game he played with us this season. Had a scoring chance on his first shift. Unfortunately, he broke his arm in the first period of that game, and now that we're reasonably healthy he was stuck back on the Eagles again once he healed.

I still think he has potential as a defensive 4th liner type of player. His offense is kind of low-end to be anything more than that but he does have a well-developed defensive game since college that could earn him a place as an NHL regular. He just needs to get a shot in the NHL to see what he has, hopefully he can get that with Boston.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Not sure what the point of this is?
I liked Kinkaid
Maybe they believe Bussi can handle being a 3rd string so flipped the veteran pending UFA for an interesting reclaimation project.

I like the trade. Bowers has definitely underwhelmed for a first round pick (on paper at least, can't I've watched his game) but will be a good body to have in camp next year when there's likely some roster spots open for guys with cheap cap hits.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Was watching the clip from when Bowers was drafted and it was interesting they labeled him a "safe pick" lol. More interesting is he's from Halifax and trained with Crosby during the summer, so he likely has trained with Marchand as well.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Bowers was a popular prospect for us for a long time. Everybody kept penciling him in for 4C duties every summer, but he never really forced his way into a call-up with his AHL play.

Nonetheless, he did look OK in the one game he played with us this season. Had a scoring chance on his first shift. Unfortunately, he broke his arm in the first period of that game, and now that we're reasonably healthy he was stuck back on the Eagles again once he healed.

I still think he has potential as a defensive 4th liner type of player. His offense is kind of low-end to be anything more than that but he does have a well-developed defensive game since college that could earn him a place as an NHL regular. He just needs to get a shot in the NHL to see what he has, hopefully he can get that with Boston.
Always appreciate a knowledgeable fan giving us a small recap on lesser known guys that are traded. Kinkaid has a great showing for us vs Buffalo earlier this year. But he's a vet so you probably know him.

This is the kind of stuff I lurk HFBoards for.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I really liked Bowers in his draft year.

I think he’s got a real shot at fourth line C next season. Could actually potentially be seen as C depth for this year’s playoff run depending on how Nosek looks on his return.

Good all around move
The Bruins just gave up a low 1st round pick in the deal with Washington. Trading for Bowers (a low first round pick) essentially recovers that pick.

Bowers is a center and drafted where the Bruins got centers Frederic and Beecher. It took a while but Frederic made the jump to Boston. Perhaps Bowers can eventually do the same.

Last edited:

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
Reminds me of that tweet the other day. Late first rounders are valuable, and then you can find one a few years later for a journeyman back up desperate to get out of the minors.

PastaSawce

Mar 6, 2021
Western MA
The Bruins just gave up a low 1st round pick in the deal with Washington. Trading for Bowers (a low first round pick) essentially recovers that pick.

Bowers is a center and drafted where the Bruins got centers Frederic and Beecher. It took a while but Frederic made the jump to Boston. Perhaps Bowers can eventually do the same.
As much I like the Orlov/Hathaway trade, saying this recoups that late 1st in a supposedly deep draft is a streeeetch.

Reactions: HustleB

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Bowers grew up playing in Halifax (shout out Chebucto Atlantics), made a deep 2019 Canadian WJ team - lots of potential but has been very unlucky with injuries. Excited about this deal, he could turn out to be a very useful player in the short term.
And then was dominant for Halifax MacDonalds Midget AAA. We all thought he was going to break out early after getting drafted. Hard worker. There’s a player in here.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
From reading thoughts here and on the Avs board seems like some really good asset management from Sweeney.

Bussi/Keyser seem to have earned more time and are younger than Kinkaid, Avs get some good depth since Francouz has been injured a lot.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad