Bruins Announce 2015 Development Camp Schedule

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
why is that?

Honestly. I just go with my gut and I have a long history of not liking some guys that get loads of love around here --from "Scoring" Lee Goren to Yan Stastny to Andrew Alberts to present day Trotman and Donato. I just go with my gut on a guy --usually based off of the first time I watch them-- and if I'm wrong then I can live with it. I would love for Donato to show me up but right now I don't see that being a concern --I'm thinking he maxes out as a Matt Read years and years down the road.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
You don't know what I did the night and morning prior :naughty: :laugh:

For what it's worth I got a second wind since that post and im about to sing in a band...and I've never sang before, but they are convinced I have potential, fingers crossed :laugh:

Awesome day y'all, the future appears bright

You're a yute - you're supposed to get a second wind, no matter what.

Chauffeur-Driver-300x225.jpg

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Honestly. I just go with my gut and I have a long history of not liking some guys that get loads of love around here --from "Scoring" Lee Goren to Yan Stastny to Andrew Alberts to present day Trotman and Donato. I just go with my gut on a guy --usually based off of the first time I watch them-- and if I'm wrong then I can live with it. I would love for Donato to show me up but right now I don't see that being a concern --I'm thinking he maxes out as a Matt Read years and years down the road.

Not for nothing, but what's wrong with a late 2nd round pick putting together a career similar to Matt Read? Seems to me that would be a pretty reasonable, if not good, outcome.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Not for nothing, but what's wrong with a late 2nd round pick putting together a career similar to Matt Read? Seems to me that would be a pretty reasonable, if not good, outcome.

1) I think that is his ultimate upside *if* he turns out
2) I don't think he is a great bet to turn out

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Colt, not being sarcastic, but when have you seen Donato play? You are my go to guy for all things WHL, but unless you have been secretly jumping flights to the East Coast to see Dexter games, I'm guessing it's been video only? Really hard to judge a kid by that alone.

I had never seen Zach Hamill play live until he got to PRO. That year I saw him 5 or 6 times and was convinced he was never going to be anything special. It was pretty clear to me that other kids like Sobotka and Marchand were far better players.

I'll reserve judgment on Donato until I get a good look at him.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Colt, not being sarcastic, but when have you seen Donato play? You are my go to guy for all things WHL, but unless you have been secretly jumping flights to the East Coast to see Dexter games, I'm guessing it's been video only? Really hard to judge a kid by that alone.

I had never seen Zach Hamill play live until he got to PRO. That year I saw him 5 or 6 times and was convinced he was never going to be anything special. It was pretty clear to me that other kids like Sobotka and Marchand were far better players.

I'll reserve judgment on Donato until I get a good look at him.

Oh, I absolutely agree with what you are saying here ---if I'm going to seriously slag a guy then I will give my scouting report on him and give reasons as to why I don't like him. With Donato, it is just my gut feeling about him (I should have qualified that clearer, I suppose) and it isn't based on any proper scouting or analytics or anything. I don't think the numbers he has put up so far justify projecting him to be a top 6-9 player at the NHL level. If I am wrong on that then I will eat my crow but I'm not about to get aboard his hype train because he won the Button Award this year.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
If I am wrong on that then I will eat my crow but I'm not about to get aboard his hype train because he won the Button Award this year.

Fwiw, Donato was the second best player in this camp last year (IMO of course) and did his darndest to answer Pasternak's razzle dazzle shift for shift.

IMO, he's like Spooner. Ryan came into his first camp and all eyes were on Seguin but Spooner did a damn fine job in his shadow and dropped some jaws himself. The next year, Spooner was the best forward in camp, and the year after that as well...

Stylistically they're different. Donato's bigger and I think a little more rugged than Spooner, Ryan's faster and a better playmaker, they both have great hands but I'd give the nod there to Donato who consistently attacks Dmen 1on1 in traffic and either gets through or gets tackled (whereas Spooner uses misdirection and speed more).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Fwiw, Donato was the second best player in this camp last year (IMO of course) and did his darndest to answer Pasternak's razzle dazzle shift for shift.

IMO, he's like Spooner. Ryan came into his first camp and all eyes were on Seguin but Spooner did a damn fine job in his shadow and dropped some jaws himself. The next year, Spooner was the best forward in camp, and the year after that as well...

Stylistically they're different. Donato's bigger and I think a little more rugged than Spooner, Ryan's faster and a better playmaker, they both have great hands but I'd give the nod there to Donato who consistently attacks Dmen 1on1 in traffic and either gets through or gets tackled (whereas Spooner uses misdirection and speed more).

Very good assessment folks - size won't be an issue with Donato. Makes consistent right decisions on drills and scrimmage and you have to like his attack mentality

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Very good assessment folks - size won't be an issue with Donato. Makes consistent right decisions on drills and scrimmage and you have to like his attack mentality

Whats your opinion on the FA guys at camp ? Do we sign any of them ? It looks like the B's invited some good ones

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Oh, I absolutely agree with what you are saying here ---if I'm going to seriously slag a guy then I will give my scouting report on him and give reasons as to why I don't like him. With Donato, it is just my gut feeling about him (I should have qualified that clearer, I suppose) and it isn't based on any proper scouting or analytics or anything. I don't think the numbers he has put up so far justify projecting him to be a top 6-9 player at the NHL level. If I am wrong on that then I will eat my crow but I'm not about to get aboard his hype train because he won the Button Award this year.

For someone who has never seen the kid skate, met him or watched him in a game against players sometimes several years older than him, you have pretty strong feelings against him as a player. Donato was highly touted coming into the draft, but was seen as a bit of a project....but with a high ceiling. You need to see him play, Colt. He is not an elite prospect, but he is definitely a high quality prospect. Ryan Fitzgerald had better stats than Donato at this time and there is no doubt in my mind that Donato is the much better prospect. All this because I have seen him. Also I thought he had a strong camp last year, and to see him dominate this time around was encouraging. He is our 2nd best C prospect right now, behind Koko.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
No but Donato to me has 'it'

I like how Bruins put him and O'Gara as roomies

So did you have the week off ?

It will be fun to watch Teddy's son. It doesn't seem that long ago that it was Ted on the ice for the B's. I am pleased he looked good. I thought he looked solid last camp too but Pasta was so flashy not many noticed Donato.

Last edited:

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
How has Hargrove looked? I made it to day one morning and noticed he didn't come back on the ice after they resurfaced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad