Rumor: Bruins and Senators interested in Craig Smith

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Had this guy on my list since the start. Can score at ES, plays tough, can move up and down the lineup.

Exactly the kind of guy you want in the playoffs.

...also exactly the kind of guy the Bruins always overpay for. Probably $4m for 4 years, knowing Sweeney

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah if he wants more money he signs in Ottawa ,if he wants to win and likely this would be the case as he looks like a team guy,then Boston

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I feel like Ottawa would have just qualified Duclair if they were after Smith. Good depth scorer for sure.

I think Ottawa's trying to go for an identity rather than individual players. Getting guys like Gudbranson and Josh Brown, drafting Sanderson/Sokolov/Kleven/Jarventie they want big guys that can play hard.

Smith plays hard and is more consistent than Duclair. Bottom line they both are 20 goal guys or around that. Duclair is a lot more talented but I feel like DJ Smith likes his 200ft hard working and tougher players. Smith also has more of a track record so I can see them be more open to a longer deal as compared to Duclair.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If you draft a player like Hoffman or get him in a trade like Florida did. I'd be fine with it.

If you have to pay him a big time contract as a UFA, I'm scared as shit.
Hall is the better version of him,but I wouldnt sign him either...They both one dimensional ,if they arent scoring what else do they really do??

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Speed and shot are all he has....Never a fan ,just far too soft everywhere else
Good lord, he's not soft. Like, not at all. He battles really hard. Speed and shot... well, he has them, but they go in the net at a bit of a streaky rate. But his effort and competitiveness is beyond reproach. I don't think you've ever seen Smith play. :dunno:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Good lord, he's not soft. Like, not at all. He battles really hard. Speed and shot... well, he has them, but they go in the net at a bit of a streaky rate. But his effort and competitiveness is beyond reproach. I don't think you've ever seen Smith play. :dunno:
Maybe not Smith but Hoffman is one I seen first hand in Ottawa...Maybe he has gotten better over the years but he doesnt drive his line and will want to be paid like he does

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Caution: He disappears completely in the playoffs.
Correction: his production has disappeared in recent playoff runs. But he is always giving the same effort. He doesn't "disappear"... except from the score sheet. Which he is liable to do in any 20-game sample at any point in any season, playoffs or otherwise.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Had this guy on my list since the start. Can score at ES, plays tough, can move up and down the lineup.

Exactly the kind of guy you want in the playoffs.

...also exactly the kind of guy the Bruins always overpay for. Probably $4m for 4 years, knowing Sweeney
Think Sweeney's starting to learn from his contract mistakes? Nah, you are prob right.

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
Damn what I would give for an owner with pockets.

Matt Murray:

dd0.png

Reactions: Guttersniped

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I disagree Sheppy - depending on the $$ Craig Smith would be a very nice addition for the Bruins. :nod:
An under performing forward that hasn't hit 40 points since 2016?

The money is important factor here. But this guy for anything over 2.5-3M a year is a typical Bruins move.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Yes. Smith's contract will be much more digestible and likely have a similar impact if he is lining up with Bergeron or Krejci.

Hoffman is trash. Toffoli has no finish. I like Dadonov, but he has been trending somewhat downwards since coming back.

Taylor Hall is likely going to get paid.

Damn dude, those are some hot takes.

Toffoli has no finish, and Smith does? Have you seen the video of him missing an empty net breakaway? :laugh:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe not Smith but Hoffman is one I seen first hand in Ottawa...Maybe he has gotten better over the years but he doesnt drive his line and will want to be paid like he does
Oh gosh, no. Smith is a complementary player to be sure and no line driver. At $4M for a #2/3 RW he was... adequate... for Nashville. He worked hard, sometimes scored. Usually in bunches and then went cold for stretches. Works all the danger areas. He was a good RW for Turris and for Bonino. You couldn't really ask for anything more from him than he already brought. I think the only reason the Preds have let him go is that basically we are looking for "change for change's sake"... it has been some raw times for us lately, and Smith's contract just happens to be up at a bad time. But he's a solid player. He has no upside. He has no downside. He is just about exactly what his scoring totals indicate. except you want to color that with the fact that the stats come in streaks and his compete level stays constant.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Oh gosh, no. Smith is a complementary player to be sure and no line driver. At $4M for a #2/3 RW he was... adequate... for Nashville. He worked hard, sometimes scored. Usually in bunches and then went cold for stretches. Works all the danger areas. He was a good RW for Turris and for Bonino. You couldn't really ask for anything more from him than he already brought. I think the only reason the Preds have let him go is that basically we are looking for "change for change's sake"... it has been some raw times for us lately, and Smith's contract just happens to be up at a bad time. But he's a solid player. He has no upside. He has no downside. He is just about exactly what his scoring totals indicate. except you want to color that with the fact that the stats come in streaks and his compete level stays constant.
Yep and thats fine but I would take a smaller priced 20 goal forward that works his tail off every shift...Than a player like Hoffman

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I f***ing hope we’re in on him. The bruins need this type of signing badly

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Smith addresses one of the Bruins' biggest needs. Even strength scoring from the wing. The fact that he plays a two way game and hustles just makes it an even better fit. He doesn't put Boston over the top, but he certainly plugs a hole.

I would give him Shattenkirk $ here. $3.9 x 3years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad