Post-Game Talk: Bruin's 6, Canuck's 3: Markus Granlund is outdueled by a literal rodent, oops!!

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Granlund - hopefully we can stop the lunacy that we should be exposing Granlund in the Expansion Draft instead of one our 4th line plugs. This team has so little scoring and we want to move someone who has shown the ability to get chances and put them away??? Some have their own agendas in trying to push a anti-Granlund narrative despite what is happening on the ice. Goes back, to some extent, to the Shinkaruk trade and people not wanting to accept the fact they may have been wrong. Tedious how in spite of whatever Granlund does, they are sticking to their story.

I'll admit, Granlund has greatly exceeded my (pretty low) expectations, at least statistically, even to the point where I'd say we're winning that trade right now. However, I still don't like his overall game all that much, and wonder if he'd have this kind of success with a different coach. And re: the trade, the problem with it - as it has been since the day it happened - wasn't necessarily the player we got in return, but that it was the wrong kind asset to target. Tbh, even with his success this year, I really don't see Granlund being an important player going forward with this team. He's definitely earned expansion protection, but he's more than likely to end up just being a warm body who played on a team that did **** all.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Reminiscent of the Islander collapse on Torts season...though at least this was only 4 goals and not 7.

Granlund is shooting at 17% this year...when that regresses to even a very respectable 12% things won't look so rosy. But credit to him they were nice goals last night. But I just can't shake the thought that this is simply Brian Bradley syndrome...someone has to score. Even bad teams score a couple hundred every year. And this is a bad, bad team. One that I don't think gets better anytime soon.

This is exactly it in my opinion.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'll admit, Granlund has greatly exceeded my (pretty low) expectations, at least statistically, even to the point where I'd say we're winning that trade right now. However, I still don't like his overall game all that much, and wonder if he'd have this kind of success with a different coach.

This is quite a succinct way of rounding up the various Granlund criticisms.

You can agree the Canucks won the trade, with Shinkaruk off the tracks. It does look good in hindsight, thought it didn't look great the time. You can also agree that Granlund has some good shots, and he's exceeded expectations this season.

You can agree with all those things, but you might not like his overall game. I don't ... he's one-dimensional, soft, and questionable defensively. He's also been given more unjustified opportunities by this organization than anyone on the current roster outside of Megna. Meanwhile, management and coaching keep hammering away on how players must earn ice time. Granlund didn't earn his ice time ... he's done well with it, but he didn't earn it with his previous play. Though these guys are forced to play way above their optimal depth due to poor roster construction.

So in some ways, Granlund is criticized as splash damage from dumb things management is doing (and saying).

Last edited:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Granlund is really more of a symptom of management's complete inability to construct a team. If your aim is to be competitive and make the playoffs, yet you build a group so bad that a guy of his ability gets 17+ minutes a night then you have no business being a GM. It took the Sedins putting up near point per game numbers in 05-06 before they were given Granlund type minutes the next season.

And that doesn't even get into Sutter getting 1st line minutes and potentially not even hitting 35 points.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Well Marchand did another number on the Canucks last night

For all the great things that the Sedins have done both on & off the ice.

Marchand speed bagging Daniel is one of the most lasting memories that I will have in Canucks History.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well Marchand did another number on the Canucks last night

For all the great things that the Sedins have done both on & off the ice.

Marchand speed bagging Daniel is one of the most lasting memories that I will have in Canucks History.

Sure, Henrik got plucked along the wall....but did you see Edler on that play?....to quote the great Howie Meeker, what was he doing?....down on his belly fishing for pennies?

Edler's play last night is the reason Benning has to have a serious talk with him about waiving his NTC.....both he and the Canucks need a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad