Post-Game Talk: Bruin's 6, Canuck's 3: Markus Granlund is outdueled by a literal rodent, oops!!

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
That's fine. You can disagree, still doesn't prove my point wrong that Willie shouldn't be fired just because his roster is full of AHL players.

There are plenty of reasons to fire Willie.
Vrbata off the twins line and alienating him.
Sutter on the 1st PP
Megna on the 1st PP
Megna on the 1st line
Horvat with 100% dzone starts
"Playing" Rodin and then giving him 0 minutes when Boucher was available
Playing Miller like he's a number 1 when he gets tired playing like 1
Not playing Markstrom when he plays better with more games
Etc etc

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
He's not being fired. He'll be here for the next few years.

I highly doubt it.

If management decided to keep this stubborn POS of a "coach" the fans will revolt.

Simply one of the worst coaches to have ever stepped on NHL ice.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yep I truly believe he was. The virtanen pick was not his choice. That came from linden and aquilini. Benning has made bad decisions but the decisions are based on the order he receives.

Tell me again why it's a good idea to have an expensive order taker as our GM...

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Hard to see him here after the general fans turned on him with the whole Goldobin thing

I think most fans started to question his sanity when they realized WD's doing his darnest to turn our scoring leader Horvat into a checking 3/4C.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Willie needs to go. I don't know how much more I can watch the trap with a roster that is not meant to trap.

End this torture.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
He's not being fired. He'll be here for the next few years.

Either Willie is fired or the guy who can fire Willie is fired.

--

Unrelated but does the whole #fireWillie thing feel kinda fake? Didn't know the pulse on Canucks fans was so anti-Willie when the roster is 100% on Benning.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Careful what you wish for with firing Willy D. Horvat our most important piece going forward is thriving under him, and it doesn't matter if Willy is a direct cause or not.

Imagine a new coach coming in and Horvat and the coach go like Oil and Water. IDK, I'm indifferent on Willy. Him playing these plugs and veterans and this god awful Traping is due to management wanting to make the playoffs at all costs imo.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Careful what you wish for with firing Willy D. Horvat our most important piece going forward is thriving under him, and it doesn't matter if Willy is a direct cause or not.

Imagine a new coach coming in and Horvat and the coach go like Oil and Water. IDK, I'm indifferent on Willy. Him playing these plugs and veterans and this god awful Traping is due to management wanting to make the playoffs at all costs imo.

Again, Horvat succeeded in spite of WD, not because of him.

And part of the logic to keep WD is so that we don't get a worse coach? It will be very difficult to find a coach worse than him, seriously.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Joe Sacco lol

Ah I really don't know much about Sacco, the one that comes to mind for me is Ron Wilson.

But...yeah I think you and I and most fans agree on one thing, WD is not a good coach, and he cannot be allowed to coach this team one day more than this season.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I'm almost 900 years old and I can't remember a pre season where we will have as many jobs available as we will this Sept.

If Willie is still here come training camp this franchise will be set back so much further than a bust of a pick 6th overall pick could ever do.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Could see the air coming out of the balloon in this one. Even the players that have been carrying us like Horvat are looking defeated and ready to call it a day. Team is coming out and giving it a go early but then once things begin to fall apart, they really fall apart.

Good

Granlund - hopefully we can stop the lunacy that we should be exposing Granlund in the Expansion Draft instead of one our 4th line plugs. This team has so little scoring and we want to move someone who has shown the ability to get chances and put them away??? Some have their own agendas in trying to push a anti-Granlund narrative despite what is happening on the ice. Goes back, to some extent, to the Shinkaruk trade and people not wanting to accept the fact they may have been wrong. Tedious how in spite of whatever Granlund does, they are sticking to their story.

In this game Granlund scored a couple and was a constant threat all game.

Far as the defense goes, I don't care who you put out with the Sedins, they are going to be in trouble in their end. Hard to grade players defensively when Henrik and Daniel are so poor at coverage and at getting the puck out of their end. Been the same all season no matter who has been out with the twins

Biega - best defenseman in this game IMO and that tells you a lot. Only one going to the body and showing jump on the rush. On for that second goal against but that was mainly Hutton puck watching and not protecting the front of the net and letting players slip in behind him.

Baertschi - worked hard and created some chances. However, needs more strength around the net. Thought he was the best player on his line. Faded like others in the third

Bad

Sbisa - lugging and not getting up to support the play. Sort of an overall statement about the defense. There are big gaps between the forwards and the defense and ends up with a lot of lob passes and a lack of people coming late on the rush. Like others. Sbisa is getting pushed right back in crease to defend the play

Stecher - maybe needs to be given a rest. Doesn't appear to have the energy to jump on the play or move the puck as quickly. Getting shoved around some in his end. Bound to occur as the schedule grinds down players.

Megna - getting more obvious that he hasn't got it. Does not have enough upper level talent or skill to compensate for lack of strength in board battles. Just goes away when people start leaning on him.

Real Bad

Edler - ugh. Obviously not ready to play. Couldn't seem to move his feet and ended up reaching and over-extending on everything. Just plodding around. Maybe being asked to do too much.

Other Points

Can't complain about WD shortchanging younger players. Gave Cramarossa (not bad in the game) over 14 minutes. Maybe Willie is finally getting the message. (psst...it's tank time)

Not sure Horvat was bad but very so-so effort.

Hopefully for the sake of the tank, Miller is starting to go off the boil. For awhile, in this game, looked like he was going to steal more points

New guy Shore got plenty of ice but was pretty non-descript. That has been is track record.

Not having Tanev is huge. But at this stage definitely needs to held out.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think Willie comes across as a very nice man who is likely popular with his players. I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that they all play hard for him and that young guys feel they have developed under him.

None of that means we can't find someone who can do it better, though. I've seen enough of his baffling deployment of players to last me a good long while. And his treatment of Horvat at the start of the year was absolutely mind blowing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad