Post-Game Talk: Bruins 4, Penguins 3 - Roster is Fine, They Just Need to Do More and Try Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If only I could replay Bobby Ryan burning Maatta and Ron Hainsey getting stuck in the d-zone for over a minute back in my head. Or maybe our team’s disgusting break-outs or complete lack of transiston outside of Schultz and Daley.

I saw what was amazing, it was Sullivan’s Babcockian ability to play a undersized mobile defense at the right time to championship success.

Using Dumo, Maatta and Schultz as #1 defensemen in situations he knew they’d succeed was amazing. I’ll agree.

Ohhhh that's right. Defenders don't make mistakes! I forgot. STEEL CURTAIN TIME! Right?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ohhhh that's right. Defenders don't make mistakes! I forgot. STEEL CURTAIN TIME! Right?

They do make mistakes. Our D just makes an exceptional amount of them and pointing to them as some steadfast positive in the playoffs last year instead of something that actively lost us games is revisionist history.

I figure it is probably best to end this discussion and close up the thread. You view Dumoulin as a number one defenseman in the playoffs last year and I see him as a player that had to be used in combonation last year to barely put up respectable numbers.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The idea that Nick Bonino and Matt Cullen are the difference between a cup contender and a team on the verge of falling out a playoff spot is ridiculous to me.

The 2 guys on the team playing the most minutes in the 2 most important roles are having a terrible start to the season. That is playing a much bigger role in the slow start than a few guys playing 6-8 minutes a night.

This team would be in a top 4 spot if Crosby and Letang were anywhere near their normal standard.

Reactions: ColePens

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The idea that Nick Bonino and Matt Cullen are the difference between a cup contender and a team on the verge of falling out a playoff spot is ridiculous to me.

The 2 guys on the team playing the most minutes in the 2 most important roles are having a terrible start to the season. That is playing a much bigger role in the slow start than a few guys playing 6-8 minutes a night.

This team would be in a top 4 spot if Crosby and Letang were anywhere near their normal standard.

I feel like Crosby should be able to afford having a top ten center performance especially with Kessel and Malkin dominating how they have.

Not to mention outside of his giveaways Letang is statistically one of our better defensemen and is tied for the lead for PP points in the league and is four points off the lead for defenseman in straight points.

Crosby and Letang need to be better. I’m
not sure how them playing a relative league standard for a #1 center and a #1 defenseman is sinking this team though and it is extremely simplistic to act like that is the root of all our issues. I’m sure you felt right at place in 2013 though.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I feel like Crosby should be able to afford having a top ten center performance especially with Kessel and Malkin dominating how they have.

Not to mention outside of his giveaways Letang is statistically one of our better defensemen and is tied for the lead for PP points in the league and is four points off the lead for defenseman in straight points.

Crosby and Letang need to be better. I’m
not sure how them playing a relative league standard for a #1 center and a #1 defenseman is sinking this team though and it is extremely simplistic to act like that is the root of all our issues. I’m sure you felt right at place in 2013 though.

The team was a points machine in 2013. Bringing up 2013 makes no sense.

And you are a massive hypocrite with Letang. You say he is only on the ice for a ridiculous amount of goals because he plays the most minutes on a team that is bleeding goals. Ever stop to think that Letang is heavily responsible for the team bleeding goals? He is playing the most minutes, the team is playing markedly worse defensively than they were without Letang last year. You are telling me Letang's play isn't a huge reason for that?

Letang always racks up pp points. Use your eyes and realize that he is a poor pp qb. If you can't see that your opinion on Letang is invalid because he is not a good qb even when he is on his game.

You really think this team is performing markedly better in the standings with Nick Bonino and Matt Cullen on the roster? That is delusion.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sullivan did a great job with last years defense. Without Letang as he is today made it east for him. Now I don't know if Sullivan's input are why 3 big contracts were handed out to the d corp last year but he is sure playing them based on their contracts it appears. Maata surprisingly is performing but he is no more than a third pairing guy who can move up in certain circumstances. Dumo? I still don't know what warranted giving him that money ..maybe his age? Schultz looked good as a number one but he probably looked better paired with Cole. Should have never have messed with that. Cole ( being the odd man out ) played with just about every d man up and down the line-up and had his best season ever. Really like that flexibility. Schultz now though is on pace for a minus season and a point projection of just 27 points. Why? Cause Letang is eating minutes while projecting to a a whopping minus 55 and if you subtract his projected powerplay points ( 34 ) he projects to a larueskee net of near 90.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The team was a points machine in 2013. Bringing up 2013 makes no sense.

And you are a massive hypocrite with Letang. You say he is only on the ice for a ridiculous amount of goals because he plays the most minutes on a team that is bleeding goals. Ever stop to think that Letang is heavily responsible for the team bleeding goals? He is playing the most minutes, the team is playing markedly worse defensively than they were without Letang last year. You are telling me Letang's play isn't a huge reason for that?

Letang always racks up pp points. Use your eyes and realize that he is a poor pp qb. If you can't see that your opinion on Letang is invalid because he is not a good qb even when he is on his game.

You really think this team is performing markedly better in the standings with Nick Bonino and Matt Cullen on the roster? That is delusion.

Kris Letang is our second best player in terms of shot attempts against and scoring chances against and is playing the most minutes on the ice consistently against the best players of the other team.

If he was statistically a mess, it would make sense to say he is a huge part of us bleeding goals, but he is actually one of best players at suppressing shot attempts and chances.

Schultz is the player bleeding the most high percentage scoring chances on the ice.

Letang has been a giveaway machine this year, but Karlsson often is a giveaway machine. Playing major minutes and making risky plays lends itself to that type of statistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna