Post-Game Talk: Bruins 3, Oilers 2

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Nuke it from orbit! So many holes to fix, Chia's next trade better be a huge fkn win or he will be ran out of town.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So turns out that playing Cagguila with McDavid shuts McDavid down harder than anyone in the league can. It brings his Corsi from great to below 50. Jesus Christ lol
I knew this without any fancy numbers. This is the conundrum that McD and Drai are in every game. Nobody outside of Maroon finishes anything. With apologies to Slepy who is trying to recently but gets slammed back in bottomsix.

Cagg, Camm, particularly seem designed to get the Oilers to the bottom 5 promised land. It spells tank, again, which is disgusting. I have only one other theory to explain whats going on. That in McLellan's primitive mind he figures that he should throw McD and Drai in the cauldron playing NHL toplines and with zero linemate help and expect them to swim in boiling water. Its as if he thinks this will make them better. "Hey McD, stop complaining, learn to beat Chara, I mean whats wrong with you, expose Chara while playing with dolts that can barely take a pass, give one, or score a goal" (sarcasm)

But seriously is McLellans strategy to harden McD and Drai giving them junk to play with and facing best lines?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Caggiula reminds me a lot of Yakupov.

I don't question how hard he works but he does a lot of skating around while accomplishing nothing and bleeding GAs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't call me Shirley.

What do you mean? That slap pass back to the point by Lucic was textbook...textbook stonehands Lucic.

I think it shows how much we miss RNH and his ability to make others around him better, including Lucic. RNH is the type of player who always seems to make the smart hockey and can simplify things for less skilled players. Drai plays at a higher level and we just don't have the wingers who function at that level, or else those players are stuck playing their off wing on 4th line LW it seems for now.
I didn't catch the sarcasm in the original post. It was too DRYsaitl

Reactions: nabob

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I knew this without any fancy numbers. This is the conundrum that McD and Drai are in every game. Nobody outside of Maroon finishes anything. With apologies to Slepy who is trying to recently but gets slammed back in bottomsix.

Cagg, Camm, particularly seem designed to get the Oilers to the bottom 5 promised land. It spells tank, again, which is disgusting. I have only one other theory to explain whats going on. That in McLellan's primitive mind he figures that he should throw McD and Drai in the cauldron playing NHL toplines and with zero linemate help and expect them to swim in boiling water. Its as if he thinks this will make them better. "Hey McD, stop complaining, learn to beat Chara, I mean whats wrong with you, expose Chara while playing with dolts that can barely take a pass, give one, or score a goal" (sarcasm)

But seriously is McLellans strategy to harden McD and Drai giving them junk to play with and facing best lines?
All the wingers on this team are junk, Maroon included. What a porous game from him yesterday. People want a prospect for this guy? Good luck.

How ironic that we've gone from a team with good wingers with crap centers to a team with crap wingers but good centers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Caggiula reminds me a lot of Yakupov.

I don't question how hard he works but he does a lot of skating around while accomplishing nothing and bleeding GAs.

He's like a Rover, the long since dead former hockey position. They should bring it back for some of these players. Would remove some of the don't have a clue in their game.

When I watch Cagg I imagine theres a big question mark on his back instead of a number. He's like the riddler. What am I up to now?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
All the wingers on this team are junk, Maroon included. What a porous game from him yesterday. People want a prospect for this guy? Good luck.

How ironic that we've gone from a team with good wingers with crap centers to a team with crap wingers but good centers.

Maroon was truly awful yesterday. Disappointing because he often lights up the Bruins. he brought nothing to the game yesterday. Doesn't change that he's once again the teams top scoring winger and has been since he's been here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Maroon was truly awful yesterday. Disappointing because he often lights up the Bruins. he brought nothing to the game yesterday. Doesn't change that he's once again the teams top scoring winger and has been since he's been here.
That's more an indictment on the team than it is him but yes, he was very, very bad yesterday. Not the only one mind you but man he treated turnovers like a doughnut and ordered a dozen early.

Or whatever that MacT quote was.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Looks good. Our super gm built this winniing roster AND picked the coach. Thanks Chia. This is the first time I have stopped watching Oilers hockey in like 10+ years.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I don't think I've watched a full game on TV in over 2 months. My interest in this team is definitely near an all time low right now.

Reactions: OilDrop37

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Don't call me Shirley.

What do you mean? That slap pass back to the point by Lucic was textbook...textbook stonehands Lucic.

I think it shows how much we miss RNH and his ability to make others around him better, including Lucic. RNH is the type of player who always seems to make the smart hockey and can simplify things for less skilled players. Drai plays at a higher level and we just don't have the wingers who function at that level, or else those players are stuck playing their off wing on 4th line LW it seems for now.

They should alternate between playing RNH and Draisaitl with Mcdavid while having the other center the second line. After the TDL you would have rhese options for the top 6.

RNH-Mcdavid-???/JP
Lucic-Draisaitl-???/JP

???-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-JP

Keep Mcdavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Lucic and JP in the top six. Then look for a top six winger that can play both wings. Lucic should still be a 40-50 point player next season.

For the 3rd/4th line keep Strome, Khaira and Kassian. Now we need to find 3 speedy bottom six wingers that can PK.

On defence you keep Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson and one of Sekera/Russel. You then do whatever it takes to get Carlson or Green.

Then find a 1B to puch Talbot.

Out is Maroon, Letestu, Cammaleri, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Benning, Auvitu, Pakarinen, Montoya and one of Sekera or Russel.

Estimated salary out is around 14 million with the cap to go up around 7 million, as well as whatever cap space we left open this season.

Then we factor in the raises to Mcdavid, Strome and Nurse so we'll have around 15 million to sign a top six winger, top 4 defenceman, 3 bottom six wingers and a 1B goalie. Lord help us.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines

That would be giving him too much credit for thinking something through.
I believe your previous theory about how he's subconsciously trying to get himself fired is more likely.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
They should alternate between playing RNH and Draisaitl with Mcdavid while having the other center the second line. After the TDL you would have rhese options for the top 6.

RNH-Mcdavid-???/JP
Lucic-Draisaitl-???/JP

???-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-JP

Keep Mcdavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Lucic and JP in the top six. Then look for a top six winger that can play both wings. Lucic should still be a 40-50 point player next season.

For the 3rd/4th line keep Strome, Khaira and Kassian. Now we need to find 3 speedy bottom six wingers that can PK.

On defence you keep Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson and one of Sekera/Russel. You then do whatever it takes to get Carlson or Green.

Then find a 1B to puch Talbot.

Out is Maroon, Letestu, Cammaleri, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Benning, Auvitu, Pakarinen, Montoya and one of Sekera or Russel.

Estimated salary out is around 14 million with the cap to go up around 7 million, as well as whatever cap space we left open this season.

Then we factor in the raises to Mcdavid, Strome and Nurse so we'll have around 15 million to sign a top six winger, top 4 defenceman, 3 bottom six wingers and a 1B goalie. Lord help us.

Agree with almost everything:

No to Green and keep Slepyshev. Overall good analysis. And yes... lord help us

Reactions: nabob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Rob Tychkowski @Rob_Tychkowski
Seven minutes left in the game, Oilers waiting for their first power play. Steve Kozari being one of the referees McDavid told to review his shootout goal.
9:24 PM - Feb 20, 2018

Its only going to get worse.

My lord, this guy runs an Officiating School

Hockey Referee School of Officiating | Steve Kozari Ref School

"how to get the calls right"

1)First develop a grudge against teams and players
2)Develop troll face, practice your troll face. The little things matter.
3) Feign that you are blind, dumb, and don't speak English while players are talking about a call
4)Make a specific point of going to some benches and not others to discuss calls with coaches. Make sure to laugh at the other bench while doing this.
5)Get in the way of the play of the opposing team as much as possible. When doable deflect passes in front of net, you might get an assist.
6)Make calls with authority while 150feet away. Ignore the comments of officials that saw the play. Remember, you're a leader, don't back down.
7)Change the call on the ice regularly with no explanation. Signal 3 different things alternately for shits and giggles. Its a goal, no its not a goal, its..
8)When Draisaitl wins another faceoff clean just redo it. Just because.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
If the Oilers were still in a playoff race.. last night's loss would have bugged me BIG time. But my Give a Sh*t metre right now is so low... when the Bruins scored the winning goal.. I just chuckled a bit and then turned the TV off and didn't give it another thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad