Boston Bruins Bruins 2019-20 Preview

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I’m ready !!!! Been 2 months

**** it

Always about 2020 anyways

Read a lot of stuff already on the Bruins but this is the best summary I’ve seen and probably will ~ agree or disagree with the content you have a writer that knows the organization up and down, inside and out

Bruin’s Offseason: All Quiet On The Eastern Front (1 of 2)
I can't put my finger on it but the author seems awfully familiar...

Reactions: DKH and 4ORRBRUIN

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Grad school starts for me in less than two weeks, and i'm TRYING not to think too much about hockey. I've got a lot of madness coming my way.

'Trying' being the operative word there. And posts like this don't help! hahahahaha Great read. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Kuhlman and Bjork both do if given a chance to start on the roster out of the gate

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Well written and thought out but I disagree with a good portion of it. My belief that Heinen is nothing more than a good third line wing has been expressed ad nauseum so I won't get into it, I will say if Mr. Excitement is in the top 6 at the end of the season it doesn't bode well for a long playoff run.

They were tossed around like muppets by St. Louis and adding Bjork and Kuhlman full time to the line up is not going to help change that. Going purely off what they have now and the assumption that Backes cannot play but much of his LTIR will be eaten up by Carlo and McAvoy the lines I would go with are:
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Best RW prospect at camp, I hate that Sweeney has been unable to fix this hole
Heinen-Coyle-Ritchie
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Gaunce

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Reactions: DKH

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
Very good read, i also want to see again what Bjork can do and this steen player is very intringuing...the only thing i don’t agree is Heinen, the guy is nothing more than a good third liner

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Well written and thought out but I disagree with a good portion of it. My belief that Heinen is nothing more than a good third line wing has been expressed ad nauseum so I won't get into it, I will say if Mr. Excitement is in the top 6 at the end of the season it doesn't bode well for a long playoff run.

They were tossed around like muppets by St. Louis and adding Bjork and Kuhlman full time to the line up is not going to help change that. Going purely off what they have now and the assumption that Backes cannot play but much of his LTIR will be eaten up by Carlo and McAvoy the lines I would go with are:
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Best RW prospect at camp, I hate that Sweeney has been unable to fix this hole
Heinen-Coyle-Ritchie
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Gaunce
Kuhlman looked like a legit top 6 forward at times but obviously he struggled with consistency not to be unexpected with a young player . I would keep Pasta with Bergeron/ Marchand and give Kuhlman his shot on line 2 . The Bruins will likely try to acquire another forward at the deadline so until then we plug the hole with Kuhlman. I agree the place for Heinen is on line 3 with Coyle .

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hard to disagree with that.

Think that forward group is fine only caveat is I felt the same way last year entering the season with a 3rd line of kids and it ended up being dreadful.

Worried that McAvoy and Carlo might stall in their development with no camp. Real shame given their stellar playoff runs. And August 21st is time to start worrying IMO even though no RFA has been signed league wide in the last month+ it seems.

I am pretty sure something similar happened with McClaren back in the day Sinden fought tooth and nail to pay that dude (along with everyone else) as little as possible and I think he ended up being pretty well paid by the Sharks despite lacking in offense.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Hard to disagree with that.

Think that forward group is fine only caveat is I felt the same way last year entering the season with a 3rd line of kids and it ended up being dreadful.

Worried that McAvoy and Carlo might stall in their development with no camp. Real shame given their stellar playoff runs. And August 21st is time to start worrying IMO even though no RFA has been signed league wide in the last month+ it seems.

I am pretty sure something similar happened with McClaren back in the day Sinden fought tooth and nail to pay that dude (along with everyone else) as little as possible and I think he ended up being pretty well paid by the Sharks despite lacking in offense.
I'm really starting to think this is the plan with McAvoy and Carlo, negotiate but nothing signed until one of Miller/Backes or Moore is LTIRed and then sign first day of regular season. In some ways it makes sense if you are looking to lock up both long term into UFA years but I don't like the idea short term, players who miss camp/pre season rarely have good seasons and seem more susceptible to injuries.

Also while I like McAvoy and think he is going to be a star he may not continue his progress and just be a good top 4 D, which if you pay him 9m a year for 8 years is a big over payment.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKH

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm really starting to think this is the plan with McAvoy and Carlo, negotiate but nothing signed until one of Miller/Backes or Moore is LTIRed and then sign first day of regular season. In some ways it makes sense if you are looking to lock up both long term into UFA years but I don't like the idea short term, players who miss camp/pre season rarely have good seasons and seem more susceptible to injuries.

Also while I like McAvoy and think he is going to be a star he may not continue his progress and just be a good top 4 D, which if you pay him 9m a year for 8 years is a big over payment.

Everyone trying to read way to much into everything not happening. We went through this during the Pastrnak negotiations.

They can exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason.

They can place anyone with a "pre-existing hockey related injury" (Moore, Miller) on LTIR during training camp. No need to wait for day 1. The only reason you would wait until day 1 is if it maximizes your LTIR space more then doing it in the offseason.

The Bruins did use this very situation with Marc Savard during one season.

The key is "pre-existing hockey related injury"

#HowSoonWeForget

INFO - Option 2 on CapFriendly's LTIR FAQ LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018

He'll continue his progress for sure.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Everyone trying to read way to much into everything not happening. We went through this during the Pastrnak negotiations.

They can exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason.

They can place anyone with a "pre-existing hockey related injury" (Moore, Miller) on LTIR during training camp. No need to wait for day 1. The only reason you would wait until day 1 is if it maximizes your LTIR space more then doing it in the offseason.

The Bruins did use this very situation with Marc Savard during one season.

The key is "pre-existing hockey related injury"

#HowSoonWeForget

INFO - Option 2 on CapFriendly's LTIR FAQ LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Nice

No wonder Donny spotted around the North Shore smiling

Reactions: Blowfish

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I’m ready !!!! Been 2 months

**** it

Always about 2020 anyways

Read a lot of stuff already on the Bruins but this is the best summary I’ve seen and probably will ~ agree or disagree with the content you have a writer that knows the organization up and down, inside and out

Bruin’s Offseason: All Quiet On The Eastern Front (1 of 2)
Great read and I agree with his line combinations, 100%.

Marchand-Bergy-Heinen
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pasta
Bjork-Coyle-Kuhlman
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad