Post-Game Talk: Bruins 1, Panthers 2 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
That's just not true. They play more than 10 minutes most nights, Thornton plays less and Mac plays like 12-14, but most teams 4th lines never play 10 minutes and they certainly don't play late in a tie game or down 1...

I would argue most 4th liners play much less than the Panthers, but what I (and Soupy) mean is the situations they plan in. No coaches roll 4 lines in the last 10 minutes of a close game, and occasionally OT. Gallant does.

No. That's what it's like around the NHL. I'd go through a long post to explain but I'm not in the mood for that right now. If you want, go take a look at the Bruins board. I'll give you one guess what they're complaining about.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
He's playing through an upper body injury, he has missed a few practices in the last couple weeks.

That explains some of it sure, but everyone is hurt this time of year. Also that doesn't explain the complete disappearance of his explosiveness, he's getting beat to the puck like crazy

Edit: Off topic, but holy crap, just saw Bergeron won 25 of 34 faceoffs, man we suck at faceoffs. Barkov was 7 of 22 and Bolland was 5 of 22. Mackenzie was 8 for 11 and Bjugstad 3 for 5. Can we just have someone else take draws for Bolland, his faceoff numbers are abysmal.

No. That's what it's like around the NHL. I'd go through a long post to explain but I'm not in the mood for that right now. If you want, go take a look at the Bruins board. I'll give you one guess what they're complaining about.

Went through the Sens-Leafs and Sharks-Habs games and 3 of those teams had multiple forwards below 10 minutes. Toronto and Ottawa had 2 with less than 6 and the Sharks had 2 with less than 7. Pittsburgh never plays their 4th line. Need me to continue?

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Could you provide me one other team who's 4th line takes a shift in the last 5 minutes of a game or OT? I just ask for one. I read the Bruins thread and not one person suggested Kennedy or Ferlin should have played in that situation.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The ducks. Beadreau always rolls all 4 lines.

Ok I guess I should have asked for a team with a 4th line that is awful 5 v 5. The Ducks 4th line last game was Jiri Sekac-Rickard Rakell-Tomas Fleischmann. That is much better than Florida's 4th line, although the Ducks depth is ridiculous. I wouldn't be annoyed at Gallant playing 4 lines in clutch situations if the 4th line was actually good 5 v 5. Why do you want Thornton-Mac-Upshall to play so much?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Jokinen.... How many opportunity will he miss?! It's crazy he has 30+ points. If he could even half of his chances converted into goals or a play that leads to be a goal he'd have 50+ easily

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
This is not a jab at anyone, but I just love how we can find something to complain about. We beat the Bruins in a big game BUT we roll our 4th line 'too much'. Haha, I love it.

-ghoste

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
This is not a jab at anyone, but I just love how we can find something to complain about. We beat the Bruins in a big game BUT we roll our 4th line 'too much'. Haha, I love it.

-ghoste

I love how we always find a way to complain about people complaining :laugh:

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

-ghoste

We scored 1 goal. We lost many face offs. We took dumb penalties. We missed 2 open nets.

As a result we gave Boston a point and are 5 back (yup 5) we lose tiebreakers.

So I loved the game but legitimate reasons to critique

Last edited:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
That explains some of it sure, but everyone is hurt this time of year. Also that doesn't explain the complete disappearance of his explosiveness, he's getting beat to the puck like crazy

Edit: Off topic, but holy crap, just saw Bergeron won 25 of 34 faceoffs, man we suck at faceoffs. Barkov was 7 of 22 and Bolland was 5 of 22. Mackenzie was 8 for 11 and Bjugstad 3 for 5. Can we just have someone else take draws for Bolland, his faceoff numbers are abysmal.

Went through the Sens-Leafs and Sharks-Habs games and 3 of those teams had multiple forwards below 10 minutes. Toronto and Ottawa had 2 with less than 6 and the Sharks had 2 with less than 7. Pittsburgh never plays their 4th line. Need me to continue?

One hell of a player. Always impressed watching him.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

Nice cherry-picked games. Why didn't you just start with our opponent?

Also, 2 of our 4th liners average under 9 a game. You do know that right?

Could you provide me one other team who's 4th line takes a shift in the last 5 minutes of a game or OT? I just ask for one. I read the Bruins thread and not one person suggested Kennedy or Ferlin should have played in that situation.

Daniel Paille in OT for Boston. Tons of Bruins fans wouldn't stop complaining. There's one example. I'm not going to inconvenience myself to find more.

Last edited by a moderator:

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Nice cherry-picked games. Why didn't you just start with our opponent?

Also, 2 of our 4th liners average under 9 a game. You do know that right?

Daniel Paille in OT for Boston. Tons of Bruins fans wouldn't stop complaining. There's one example. I'm not going to inconvenience myself to find more.

Ottawa is an opponent of sorts so I figured I'd start with them and then I clicked on the game listed next to them. Which 2, Thornton and Kopy? Those guys should be playing that few minutes. It still doesn't make sense for Gallant to play the 4th line in OT or late in a tie or close game, but he does it every single game.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Ottawa is an opponent of sorts so I figured I'd start with them and then I clicked on the game listed next to them. Which 2, Thornton and Kopy? Those guys should be playing that few minutes. It still doesn't make sense for Gallant to play the 4th line in OT or late in a tie or close game, but he does it every single game.

Every team does it! Fans of every team complain about it. Why are you ignoring the obvious example right in front of you?

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Every team does it! Fans of every team complain about it. Why are you ignoring the obvious example right in front of you?

I listed examples of teams that don't do it, so clearly not every team does it and more often than not, the teams that actually do it have 4th lines that are head and shoulders better than ours. Take the Ducks for example, they roll 4 lines, but their 4th line has Jiri Sekac and Tomas Fleischmann, if they were on our 4th line, I'd be fine rolling 4 lines too

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I listed examples of teams that don't do it, so clearly not every team does it and more often than not, the teams that actually do it have 4th lines that are head and shoulders better than ours. Take the Ducks for example, they roll 4 lines, but their 4th line has Jiri Sekac and Tomas Fleischmann, if they were on our 4th line, I'd be fine rolling 4 lines too

You avoided it again.

Your examples were a couple teams who's 4th liners one game played about the same amount of time that ours play on average. That doesn't prove anything.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

The same Tomas Fleischmann that we had that people couldn't get wait to get rid off? how is that 4th line better than ours?

Our 4th line has a role.

Bring Energy
Be physical
don't allow any goals.

They succeeded in that last night.

The year as a whole? they have done 2/3

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
The same Tomas Fleischmann that we had that people couldn't get wait to get rid off? how is that 4th line better than ours?

Our 4th line has a role.

Bring Energy
Be physical
don't allow any goals.

They succeeded in that last night.

The year as a whole? they have done 2/3

Fleischmann wasn't on our 4th line. If you don't think that 4th line is better than ours you're crazy

You avoided it again.

Your examples were a couple teams who's 4th liners one game played about the same amount of time that ours play on average. That doesn't prove anything.

I listed teams whose 4th liners played less than 6 and 7 minutes. Ours play more than 9 on average, how the hell are those "about the same amount of time". And you continue to avoid the point that our 4th liners aren't good and shouldn't be playing all situations

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Fleischmann wasn't on our 4th line. If you don't think that 4th line is better than ours you're crazy

I listed teams whose 4th liners played less than 6 and 7 minutes. Ours play more than 9 on average, how the hell are those "about the same amount of time". And you continue to avoid the point that our 4th liners aren't good and shouldn't be playing all situations

I do. why? Flash is not a good 4th line. he isn't. he is an offensive player that is responsible defensively. but he is not a 4th liner.

hardly a physical presence and he isnt a momentum swinger unless he scores.

The 4th line last night pushed back for the team against the Bruins who was throwing the body around.

you expect flash to hit back? please. I love the guy but that isnt his role. it just isn't

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
thornton and Upshall played less than boston 4th line other than ferlin... the ice time is fine... mack gets more due to PK time... they play Avg 4th line minutes and that's fine... barkov got alot of ice time last night and our 2nd line barely played...

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
I do. why? Flash is not a good 4th line. he isn't. he is an offensive player that is responsible defensively. but he is not a 4th liner.

hardly a physical presence and he isnt a momentum swinger unless he scores.

The 4th line last night pushed back for the team against the Bruins who was throwing the body around.

you expect flash to hit back? please. I love the guy but that isnt his role. it just isn't

Just because our 4th line isn't skilled enough to make a difference anywhere other than with the body doesn't mean that is every other 4th line's role. They can role 4 lines because their 4th line is capable of scoring and playing defense. We shouldn't roll 4 lines consistently because our 4th line is bad defensively and can't score

thornton and Upshall played less than boston 4th line other than ferlin... the ice time is fine... mack gets more due to PK time... they play Avg 4th line minutes and that's fine... barkov got alot of ice time last night and our 2nd line barely played...

It's more than just the total minutes, it's the situations they play in too

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Sort of veering from the current discussion a bit here, but I'm still convinced Boston isn't the team to beat to make the playoffs. Obviously you want to win against them and we need to beat them because we have 3 games against them, but with the way the Sens are playing now and how their goalie is keeping them in games, I think they'll eventually get the wild card spot. The Sens are 16-2-2 in their last 20 games...

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Sort of veering from the current discussion a bit here, but I'm still convinced Boston isn't the team to beat to make the playoffs. Obviously you want to win against them and we need to beat them because we have 3 games against them, but with the way the Sens are playing now and how their goalie is keeping them in games, I think they'll eventually get the wild card spot. The Sens are 16-2-2 in their last 20 games...

I agree, but we still have to catch Boston before we worry about the Sens

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
It's more situation of 4th line vs TOI. Mac is one if not our best PK. However I don't want Thornton or even Upshall on the ice in first four minutes or last four minutes of periods. The 4th line did make a real physical impact last night though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia