Bruce G: Melynk Speaks

The Fuhr*

Where did you hear this?

What happened to all this stuff about them making money over fist for the other events in that building and the guy having billions and billions and being sooooo financially solid?

The arena makes money but the team does not.

He invested so much into it and wants a partnership with Broward county... So he asked for 80 million and they are going to give him a portion if that.

He just does not want to lose cash while the Cats suck right now... Eventually the team will be good and the team won't be losing money making more revenue.. That's the hope.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Last 2 seasons = 3 playoff series, a ton of sold out games and a ton of fan support. Yet we're still a budget team.

There's team in the NHL that dream of that situation, that can easily spend more than the Sens. Melnyk is limiting the Sens and I wont give him my money.

The house was papered, it has been established over and over again that those sellouts the last few years were bogus. They were always in the 17,000 paid attendance.

You don't have to give him your money, but you are just going to be part of the problem.

Guess what, even if Melnyk said Ottawa is going to be a cap team, a large segment of fans, probably you, or probably not, won't go because you won't have to support the team. There is a large segment of fans who go to support this team in order to ensure its survival. Not you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
You know, Ive defended Melnyk quite a bit.

But to get that TSN deal, the Canadian Tire deal, the National deal, and to say it makes no difference.

Im glad I didnt renew my tickets during the promo. I think I am out as a STH.

Despite my loathing of Melnyk i renewed. Im giving it one more year to see what they do with the money, and with Ryan, Spezza etc.

How they manage that will determine if im back after next year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I renewed.

We don't pay very much for tickets compared with other Canadian markets, and we have a relatively small metro population with a corporate base that may well be the smallest in the country.

I'm not sure on what basis we're supposed to be competing with the big spenders.

John Holmes*

Maybe on the basis that the team actually makes money?

"cheapest prices in Canada" is still 15th in the league.

I don't really understand why people still buy into the "poor owners" bs. They've been making more and more money since Bettman took over, yet they are always crying poor.

It's like my parents. Always going on about how tight money is, yet own their home outright, and spend 6 weeks in Florida every year.

Generally speaking, people don't like letting other people know how much money they have. Especially when they have a lot of it.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Maybe on the basis that the team actually makes money?

"cheapest prices in Canada" is still 15th in the league.

I don't really understand why people still buy into the "poor owners" bs. They've been making more and more money since Bettman took over, yet they are always crying poor.

It's like my parents. Always going on about how tight money is, yet own their home outright, and spend 6 weeks in Florida every year.

Generally speaking, people don't like letting other people know how much money they have. Especially when they have a lot of it.

Well if they started buying you and everybody else you know all the stuff that they wanted, they couldn't spend 6 weeks in Florida. I'd be crying poor too. Just because we think spending millions on a bad free agent isn't that big a deal, Eugene sipping on a Pina Colada in Bert's Bar thinks otherwise.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well if they started buying you and everybody else you know all the stuff that they wanted, they couldn't spend 6 weeks in Florida. I'd be crying poor too. Just because we think spending millions on a bad free agent isn't that big a deal, Eugene sipping on a Pina Colada in Bert's Bar thinks otherwise.

Its as if his parents won that lottery that pays you a thousand dollars a week for life/25 years(basically like the new TV deal that brings in an extra 20 million a year or wtv) and they still cried poor and still spent 50 dollars on your body/Christmas gifts when they could easily up it to 100.

They're entitled to do whatever you want with their money...just like others are entitled to think youre a little cheap.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
All this revenue comes from the fans directly or indirectly. Whether we buy tickets to go to the games, buy memorabilia, or watch TV,and consume products that are advertised. The revenue comes from us, the consumers.

We're directly or indirectly collectively giving melnyk millions more than he was in the past with hopes of him putting some of that extra revenue back into his product to improve it but instead he's pocketing it. Fans have the right to be upset. Why should I buy 2 jerseys this year instead of 1 and get a full season ticket package instead of a half if melnyk will just pocket the extra revenue from me instead of investing some of that extra revenue into the team.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
We're directly or indirectly collectively giving melnyk millions more than he was in the past with hopes of him putting some of that extra revenue back into his product to improve it but instead he's pocketing it. Fans have the right to be upset. Why should I buy 2 jerseys this year instead of 1 and get a full season ticket package instead of a half if melnyk will just pocket the extra revenue from me instead of investing some of that extra revenue into the team.

[citation needed]

John Holmes*

Melnyk can do whatever he wants with his money. He can run the team however he likes.

Just don't bull**** everybody.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
[citation needed]

We just got added revenue with the recent TV deals with ESPN last year and as well as increase in national revenue from Sportsnet and increased regional revenue from tsn relative to previous years. Without spending close to all that added revenue we could reach the cap. You understand that right? Were a lot closer to the cap than the amount of extra revenue we got. Yet he says were not going to be close to a cap team.

He used to say we lost 2 million a year and needed a playoff round or two to break even. Now he says he's lost 9 million a year.

The extra revenue is enough to break even whether its -2 million or -9 million a year AND reach the cap. But were not at the cap or anywhere near it nor will we be according to melnyk.

No citations needed, just do the math.

Here's your citations:

1) this thread has a quote of melnyk saying we won't be a cap team.

2) someone else can post the melnyk quotes on losing 90 million in 10 years. It was up on HF recently.

3) check HF boards for the thread on the new TV deals. It tells us how much it is.

4) check our cap hit at capgeek or nhlnumbers. You'll see we aren't a cap team.

I'm on mobile and can't find all the links but the information is easily found if you search for it.

I'm surprised you didn't see these things posted. They've been posted in threads with links In the past.

Last edited:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
no one gives citations, least of all Melnyk. We can't provide citations for obvious reasons, and since Melnyk doesn't either yet he speaks anyways, it's hard to believe a single thing he says.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I found the footnote for the citation:

***jbeck5's ass

How about you show me a citation that shows he IS spending some of that extra revenue to improve the team. I can't give you a citation of something that isn't happening. You give me a citation that says otherwise.

If I say something isn't happening, then how can I give a citation. Him pocketing the money is the absense of him improving the team. How can I give you a citation of his lack of spending to improve the team?

I searched Google for links of melnyk upping the budget with all this added revenue but fell short. Can you help or provide a citation?

Or is snarky dickish comments all youre good at?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We just got added revenue with the recent TV deals with ESPN last year and as well as increase in national revenue from Sportsnet and increased regional revenue from tsn relative to previous years. Without spending close to all that added revenue we could reach the cap. You understand that right? Were a lot closer to the cap than the amount of extra revenue we got. Yet he says were not going to be close to a cap team.

He used to say we lost 2 million a year and needed a playoff round or two to break even. Now he says he's lost 9 million a year.

The extra revenue is enough to break even whether its -2 million or -9 million a year AND reach the cap. But were not at the cap or anywhere near it nor will we be according to melnyk.

No citations needed, just do the math.

Here's your citations:

1) this thread has a quote of melnyk saying we won't be a cap team.

2) someone else can post the melnyk quotes on losing 90 million in 10 years. It was up on HF recently.

3) check HF boards for the thread on the new TV deals. It tells us how much it is.

4) check our cap hit at capgeek or nhlnumbers. You'll see we aren't a cap team.

I'm on mobile and can't find all the links but the information is easily found if you search for it.

I'm surprised you didn't see these things posted. They've been posted in threads with links In the past.

So, I'm not sure, but him saying we won't be a cap team doesn't seem to be mutually exclusive with investing some of the added revenue back into salaries. If we go from being bottom 3 teams in spending to middle of the pack, we still wouldn't be a cap team. To me, there isn't much of a benefit to being a cap team; you're better off spending in the top 2/3rd closing in on the top 3rd and then adding a piece like an upcoming UFA at the deadline. I've got no problems with us not spending now, because I'd rather wait until our core pieces are ready to take the next step. Right now, I feel like adding a top 4 d and/or a top 6 winger would be enough take us to the second, or maybe 3rd round, but it wouldn't be enough for any more. sure anything can happen, but I'm happy waiting in the bushes until the right opportunity arises (please don't post a pic of Pedobear)

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
So, I'm not sure, but him saying we won't be a cap team doesn't seem to be mutually exclusive with investing some of the added revenue back into salaries. If we go from being bottom 3 teams in spending to middle of the pack, we still wouldn't be a cap team. To me, there isn't much of a benefit to being a cap team; you're better off spending in the top 2/3rd closing in on the top 3rd and then adding a piece like an upcoming UFA at the deadline. I've got no problems with us not spending now, because I'd rather wait until our core pieces are ready to take the next step. Right now, I feel like adding a top 4 d and/or a top 6 winger would be enough take us to the second, or maybe 3rd round, but it wouldn't be enough for any more. sure anything can happen, but I'm happy waiting in the bushes until the right opportunity arises (please don't post a pic of Pedobear)

Don't get me wrong. I don't wanna spend for the sake of spending. I wanna spend for the sake of improving the team when the pieces are available to do so. As long as you're spending wisely, spending more is better. Its when you spend more on useless players that its a problem.

I'm just saying I've heard melnyk say we lose 2 million a year. I've also heard him say we lose 9 million a year. Whichever one it is, with the 3 new TV deals that each give us more money then we used to, were bringing in nearly 30 million more revenue than a few years prior. We have enough money to overcome the 2-9 million loss, spend to the cap, and feed melnyk more profit. Or is my math wrong?

Because what I'm seeing is melnyk takes 2-9 million to break even.maybe throws a million or 2 to a player to say "look I am improving the team" and then what exactly with the other 15-20 million? The big chunk goes where?

Obviously he's not going to come out with an announcement that he's gonna use the money to buy a buggati for all his family and extended family. But where is the money going?

He can buy more bugattis for his family if he wants. Its his money. But fans have the right to question where their money is going if they're considering spending more on the team.

*before you ask me for citations on the Bugatti's, I'm making a scenario up.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Because you're the one who made an accusation, and therefore the onus is on you to provide proof.

The absence of him spending the extra revenue on the team is what then exactly? If its not him pocketing it then what is it? Tell me and I'll edit my post from "pocketing the rest" to whatever it is you say.

I'm connecting the dots using common sense and simple math. Citations!? Please.

You can't give a citation or proof that something isn't happening. If I try to Google that something, the fact it doesn't happen means I won't find anything.

Its easier for you to prove that he is spending extra money on the team then me to prove that there isn't any information of him spending extra on the team. Or Google it and find nothing like I did. There's your proof.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Different rules for different people I guess.
Completely different situations.
The house was papered, it has been established over and over again that those sellouts the last few years were bogus. They were always in the 17,000 paid attendance.

You don't have to give him your money, but you are just going to be part of the problem.

Guess what, even if Melnyk said Ottawa is going to be a cap team, a large segment of fans, probably you, or probably not, won't go because you won't have to support the team. There is a large segment of fans who go to support this team in order to ensure its survival. Not you.

17,000 paid attendance. 19,500 people to spend money on parking or stores in the CTC.

Imo The Sens could no doubt spend to the cap right now but Melnyk is milking out as much money as possible while making the team look poor on purpose.

The current fan support is more than enough for the Sens and Melnyk to be profitable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad