Bruce G: Melynk Speaks

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
Hold onto your hats folks.... http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/02/18/melnyk-likes-sens-chances

With the money quote being:

After signing a massive regional broadcast deal for TV/radio that kicks in next year, Melnyk confirmed the Senators won't be a cap team next year and they'll continue to live within a budget.

"This is not a money machine for me. It's quite the contrary," said Melnyk. "At the end of the day, at one point, you sit back and you say, 'Any guy would have packed it in a long time ago and said get me out of here I'm not going to keep feeding this thing.'

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
You just gotta shake your head. I know it's more complex than this, but it boggles my mind that we are what, bottom 3 in spending, with mostly packed buildings every night, versus what we see in other small market/southern teams while they spend millions more than us.

Thanks for saving us back in the day Euge, but if you can't afford a competitive team, GTFO.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2010
I wish TSN didn't give him a handsome TV deal.

Sounds like he's going to pocket this money and put it towards other failing businesses.

I hope he sells the team.

Oct 10, 2010
And just to add - what do you think players like Ryan, Karlsson, Spezza, NHL wide think when the owner comes out and says stuff like this? Would you want to be a part of a team that's owner isn't going to put forth the best team possible?

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
"People like me love the game and want to stay in the game. To stay in the game you need to have some kind of budget."

"I don't care if people criticize me. The fact is the team has survived in very difficult circumstances."

Guy's just a fan who hanging on to his baby for dear life. There's an obvious disconnect between Melnyk and the fans on this issue but it's an every day problem to have.

Regular people buy cars and houses that they stretch the budget for - this guy bought a hockey team.:dunno:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The part that got me was when he talked about how he knew this was going to be a bubble team a while back. I seem to recall him talking about how we are a contender a little while back.

Anyway, it is mostly old news. Don't expect more spending, need a forward, bladdy bladdy bladdy. I was very happy having a break from hearing this message during the Olympics.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Right now the team isn't ready to compete. We have core players that need more development before it makes sense to be a cap team.

I really don't see what good it would do to spend the extra 8.5 mil on 1 or 2 players only to have the rest of the core not be up to snuff. Yes, we'd be a better team with another top pairing D man and a top 6 forward, but I don't think it would put us over the top.

Now, on the other hand, if in 4 years Ceci turns into a #1 dman, Cowen finally puts everything together and looks like a Pronger light, Zibanejad takes the jump and becomes a top line winger or center, Spezza returns to 2011/12 form, Greening starts earning his contract, Turris continues to be Turris, and Ryan learns how to spell, then I wouldn't be surprised if Melnyk spends to the cap recognizing that the team is ready to contend.

Not being a cap team now isn't a bad thing. I'd prefer to spend in the top 2/3rds, as I feel it gives us a much better chance at being a playoff team, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking if only we were a cap team, we'd be among the elite challenging Chicago, St.Louis and Pittsburgh for the presidents trophy.

Oct 10, 2010
Right now the team isn't ready to compete. We have core players that need more development before it makes sense to be a cap team.

I really don't see what good it would do to spend the extra 8.5 mil on 1 or 2 players only to have the rest of the core not be up to snuff. Yes, we'd be a better team with another top pairing D man and a top 6 forward, but I don't think it would put us over the top.

Now, on the other hand, if in 4 years Ceci turns into a #1 dman, Cowen finally puts everything together and looks like a Pronger light, Zibanejad takes the jump and becomes a top line winger or center, Spezza returns to 2011/12 form, Greening starts earning his contract, Turris continues to be Turris, and Ryan learns how to spell, then I wouldn't be surprised if Melnyk spends to the cap recognizing that the team is ready to contend.

Not being a cap team now isn't a bad thing. I'd prefer to spend in the top 2/3rds, as I feel it gives us a much better chance at being a playoff team, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking if only we were a cap team, we'd be among the elite challenging Chicago, St.Louis and Pittsburgh for the presidents trophy.

I don't think we ever be a cap team period. He has this idea in mind where he think we could go all the way without spending the necessary amounts other teams have in the past

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think we ever be a cap team period.

If your team looks like it could be a cup contender (not just a darkhorse, but a potential favourite) with the extra push, it makes financial sense to spend the extra money. Right now it makes no financial sense to spend the money.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Melnyk said the same thing right after the deal was sign this isnt breaking news

He also said he be on board with 2-3 million dollar rental

As long as we keep Karlsson Turris Ryan Lehner Lazar Zibanejad Ceci etc

And sign couple key role players we will be fine

Oct 10, 2010
If your team looks like it could be a cup contender (not just a darkhorse, but a potential favourite) with the extra push, it makes financial sense to spend the extra money. Right now it makes no financial sense to spend the money.

It will never 'make sense' because every thing has to go perfect in your scenario , which will never likely happen.

The rebuild will forever be on going.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

We dont need to be a cap team but if we're bottom 10 in spending we certainly are not winning anything.

If we're a super low spending team because of a smart GM and ELC's thats one thing but we're a super low spending team because Melnyk is cheap.

We let the most important player in Senators history walk because we couldn't afford him while being in the bottom 3 of spending!!! Thats fudging pathetic.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
and I will continue to not purchase anything related to the Sens.

Therein lies part of the problem with this city...we need to be a team where it`s sold out every night. Not the city where oh we have 8 million in cap room so I`m not going to the game, oh they built it in Kanata, etc, etc.

We need 19,500 -20,000 every night. So 2000 more per game, we have some of the cheapest tickets in the NHL.

`Melnyk is on board with Murray adding a power forward before the March 5 trade deadline. If that means spending extra money, Melnyk will do it.

"(Murray's) looking. If we can get a power forward in there that's the only piece we need subject to any injuries.`

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad