Management Bruce Cassidy Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Bruce underachieved with Sweeney's roster AND failed to develop Sweeney's prospects? I can't believe Bruce would wrong Sweeney like this!

When you factor in that Cam Neely's official, stated reason for the disastrous 2015 draft is that the scouting team failed Don Sweeney, who wasn't prepared for the job, it's clear Sweeney deserves a lifetime contract.

That also seems like the safest way to ensure he might one day develop a center prospect.

Reactions: bp14

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
My favorite part too was Don saying injuries where a big reason they didn’t beat Carolina and if not for that they might still be playing

But then also saying

Bruce was fired cause he didn’t think the team played as well as they could have against Carolina

even though he just admitted they where all injured

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
David Quinn or Jay Leach, two guys who have a rep for working well with younger players and both with some ties to Boston. I would think they will be looking at them as potential Cassidy replacements.

Quinn had an interview with NEHJ a month ago about wanting another crack at the NHL. His most recent gig was coaching the Olympic team. McAvoy loves him.

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I have a few thoughts on Sweeney.

First off, he grates on me, he strikes me as a guy that always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, and to be fair he might be but if he's that smart, he should know how to present himself better. Overall, I think he's okay as a GM; the 2015 draft will always be like someone that cheated on you; they might do 80% of things right after that, but there was that one time where they cheated. He'll never really live it down. But to say his draft record isn't good overall because of it is misstating the facts. And he does take swings at the deadline, they don't always work out (Rick Nash), but I still am happy he took that swing. All of us sit here and watch the 'game day' threads at the trade deadline, and we all want the big move, and it is nice to have a GM that makes some.

I thought he was more at fault than Cassidy this past year, but to be fair, I thought the Bruins should do a ton of things over the years that would have gotten me fired as a GM a dozen times over (and most of us here are the same). Cassidy has been a great regular season coach, but he hasn't been able to make the adjustments to apply that success in the playoffs, and I feel like we've had some teams that should have been better in the playoffs, so maybe that is on him.

Finally, Sweeney has got a lot to do over the summer, and he better be on the hot seat based on it. Try a new coach, try to fix the glaring holes in the roster, and see what happens. Next year, if we're right back in the same spot and Sweeney is back again, then the organization has bigger issues.

Reactions: Gordoff

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Even though I am not a Cassidy supporter, firing him is not going to fix what is wrong with the team. What is wrong with the team is the front office- they've squandered an incredible core of players (2 of whom are sure fire HHOFers in Chara & Bergeron) with their incompetent scouting, drafting, trading & UFA signings. Until the President and GM are relieved of their duties and replaced with truly competent individuals the shit show will continue until the fans decide to spend their money anywhere except on the Bruins.

Reactions: BTO and Gordoff

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
My favorite part too was Don saying injuries where a big reason they didn’t beat Carolina and if not for that they might still be playing

But then also saying

Bruce was fired cause he didn’t think the team played as well as they could have against Carolina

even though he just admitted they where all injured

good point but not for nothing, could mean he felt Bruce didn't utilize the healthy players he did have (read: young), read between the lines on that one

Babajingo

If you think about it, not the worst outcome for Cassidy. He got thrown off the boat before it crashed into a giant iceberg. And now he can collect a paycheck while looking for the best opportunity to coach again.
Agree. I understand the initial madness at being fired. No one likes the indignation of being fired. But in the long run, he will land on his feet, no problem.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
When you factor in that Cam Neely's official, stated reason for the disastrous 2015 draft is that the scouting team failed Don Sweeney, who wasn't prepared for the job, it's clear Sweeney deserves a lifetime contract.
That was the winning line the shills came up with.

I think of a GM job like a President of a country. Sometimes you get credit for something you had nothing to do with, sometimes you get blamed for something that wasn't your fault, but the buck stops with you. Saying someone wasn't prepared for the job is ulimately much worse than saying, "we made a mistake."

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
People are acting like Cassidy won 3 cups as Bruins head coach. They made it past the second round once with Cassidy. Great regular season record but not the best at making adjustments in the playoffs.

This team was built for regular season success, but the playoffs are a different animal. No bad teams to feast on come playoff time.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
David Quinn or Jay Leach, two guys who have a rep for working well with younger players and both with some ties to Boston. I would think they will be looking at them as potential Cassidy replacements.

Quinn had an interview with NEHJ a month ago about wanting another crack at the NHL. His most recent gig was coaching the Olympic team. McAvoy loves him.
I’d pass on Quinn. Spineless hockey.

Reactions: Gordoff

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I think they underachieved in the playoffs in Cassidy’s time here given the players we had. Cassidy was content riding his super line as far as they could take him every year.

Asking sincerely: which series that they lost do you think they had the better team in?

Obviously St. Louis, but that team should have lost in round 1 to Toronto and would have if not for Nazem Kadri being a dummy.

Both times they lost to Tampa the better team won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad