Management Bruce Cassidy Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Truly appreciate these video postings, Fenway. Anyway, I think Cassidy got about as much out of the personnel he was given as possible. There's lot to be said for organizational stability, and he's smart, demanding, and treats the players with respect (at least he talks about them that way). I can't think of a young player he's damaged (i.e., excelled at Providence but were never given a shot, or left discouraged and made their mark with other franchises), but several who have become solid players, even stars, during his time as coach. This past season may have been one of his best.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He isn’t the solution either. That’s the issue

I disliked the answer he gave regarding spraying shots at the net vs making plays to generate quality chances

The real issue is... that its like two teams in one. Top 6 get the freedom to generate quality chances. While bottom 6 is told to spray/crash the net

Teams like the Leafs, Canes, TBL from top to bottom focus on creating quality looks

Not sure if its because Cassidy knows the team lacks the personnel (bottom 6) to try that. Or wants to remain ultra conservative... to prevent turnovers/odd man rushes

Imo Cassidy should focus on generating quality chances. Doesnt have to overly cute... but have a forward or D find open space close to the net. With one or two guys along the boards....trying to set the open guy..... not have three guys basically form a triangle along the boards. Where the only solution becomes to is ...pass it to the point for a prayer tip in/rebound

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Bruce isn’t the real problem mate.
He has plenty of flaws to improve upon. Call time outs. Enough tossing players under the bus to the media. Foligno and Nosek were both on the ice in Game 7 with the goalie pulled, no? Neutering the little toughness the roster has. His team's PP was a major detriment once teams realized there truly are only two options to score and little net front presence.

On the other hand, finally moving Pastrnak from the Bergeron line saved the season and his job. Generally identifying the goalie best positioned/confident to start a game as well. Inserting Wagner a few games actually worked.

As dull a product as it is, Trotz would be an upgrade. Or identify the next NHL head coach talent from the AHL/NCAA etc. Take a chance.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Cassidy really likes the defense & goaltending
Well that's how he coaches right? Priority on that current buzz word "structure" , keep them from scoring and win that 1-0 2-1 game.
Contrary to many I think the system works, we just don't have enough shooters who can finish and put the puck in the net. Now maybe some of them are limited by working so hard on their D their offense lags and maybe his ice time and game roster decisions penalize those who stray from their D responsibilities too much but overall I just think they either 1) lack scoring skill or 2) are too slow and in fast games end up just whacking at the puck and hoping as they don't have enough time to think or set up their shot.

Add one sniper and one play making center to this roster and we win the cup. I firmly believe that. BUT, easier said than done.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Well that's how he coaches right? Priority on that current buzz word "structure" , keep them from scoring and win that 1-0 2-1 game.
Contrary to many I think the system works, we just don't have enough shooters who can finish and put the puck in the net. Now maybe some of them are limited by working so hard on their D their offense lags and maybe his ice time and game roster decisions penalize those who stray from their D responsibilities too much but overall I just think they either 1) lack scoring skill or 2) are too slow and in fast games end up just whacking at the puck and hoping as they don't have enough time to think or set up their shot.

Add one sniper and one play making center to this roster and we win the cup. I firmly believe that. BUT, easier said than done.
too bad about the cap

Reactions: The Murph

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
too bad about the cap
Says every good team.
In fairness though, Bruins are pretty lucky with that as lots of home town discounts have helped them over the years. Players took less to be part of this culture, and maybe that will still hold for a while at least.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
He has plenty of flaws to improve upon. Call time outs. Enough tossing players under the bus to the media. Foligno and Nosek were both on the ice in Game 7 with the goalie pulled, no? Neutering the little toughness the roster has. His team's PP was a major detriment once teams realized there truly are only two options to score and little net front presence.

On the other hand, finally moving Pastrnak from the Bergeron line saved the season and his job. Generally identifying the goalie best positioned/confident to start a game as well. Inserting Wagner a few games actually worked.

As dull a product as it is, Trotz would be an upgrade. Or identify the next NHL head coach talent from the AHL/NCAA etc. Take a chance.

Agree with most of this except that I don't see Trotz as an upgrade, just a quality, experienced fresh approach. Cassidy's a very good coach, has his good and bad points like they all do, but more strengths than weaknesses. However I just think his time at the Bruins has run its course, and he's probably said and tried just about all he can with this group. Time for someone else to have a go, and bring some new ideas. Will that actually happen? I've no idea. Can't get a read on this one at all.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I disliked the answer he gave regarding spraying shots at the net vs making plays to generate quality chances

The real issue is... that its like two teams in one. Top 6 get the freedom to generate quality chances. While bottom 6 is told to spray/crash the net

Teams like the Leafs, Canes, TBL from top to bottom focus on creating quality looks

Not sure if its because Cassidy knows the team lacks the personnel (bottom 6) to try that. Or wants to remain ultra conservative... to prevent turnovers/odd man rushes

Imo Cassidy should focus on generating quality chances. Doesnt have to overly cute... but have a forward or D find open space close to the net. With one or two guys along the boards....trying to set the open guy..... not have three guys basically form a triangle along the boards. Where the only solution becomes to is ...pass it to the point for a prayer tip in/rebound
Well that comes down to really the 3rd line. The 4th line is almost always used exclusively in a defensive role under Cassidy. Those lines get 70% defensive zone starts. Their job is basically get the puck out of the defensive zone and flip the ice then go for a line change. There’s naturally very little room for offensive play for his 4th lines.

He’s had talent on the 3rd lines in the past. For whatever reason it always seems that 3rd lines under Cassidy just never succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad