Bruce Boudreau out per Friedman, Russo

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
“Oh we are almost in a playoff spot and might play ourselves into one ! Quick ! Fire the coach and hopefully we start losing again .”

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
coaching has to be the worst job in hockey. Entirely at fault before any others, because its the easiest change for a team to make
srsly. I mean, BG pretty much said he fired him to let the players know what happened now was all on THEM. It sort of makes sense i guess if he wasn't planning on bringing him back next season but it's still a shitty thing to realize that as one of the best coaches in the league you can be fired as a goddamn wake-up call to a group of players that had been playing well lately, and who cannot lose their jobs no matter how shitty they had been playing.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
coaching has to be the worst job in hockey. Entirely at fault before any others, because its the easiest change for a team to make
Lmao no you get to stand there behind the bench and play NHL 20 with real people for 7 figures and get a leash that lasts for years, doesn't get much better than that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Lmao no you get to stand there behind the bench and play NHL 20 with real people for 7 figures and get a leash that lasts for years, doesn't get much better than that.
When you play NHL20, you get to control the players. The players success/failure to execute is on you. Coaches have no control over player execution. The Players failed Bruce. Bruce didn't fail the players. The GM (and those who came before) limited what Bruce had to work with this season. I seriously doubt any other coach will get more blood out of this stone than Bruce has.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
“Oh we are almost in a playoff spot and might play ourselves into one ! Quick ! Fire the coach and hopefully we start losing again .”
Pretty much this.

I mean the biggest winner here is Boudreau himself, he can go to the competitive team now once there is an opening.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
tenor.gif
The man who taught Ovechkin swearing in English. The end of an era?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'm with you. Boudreau is not the problem.
Exactly this. I’d actually take Boudreau over any of the free agent coaches out there now. There should be plenty of teams lining up for Boudreau and Gallant.

from what i saw of Minnesota, they bust their asses and play good defense but simply lack scoring talent.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Would you not replace Bednar with Boudreau? Bednar is an okay coach imo but his refusal to even look at special teams, his idea of not being responsible for motivating the players and his relative weakness when it comes to developing young players (I know the last point can be argued) are becoming tiresome.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Would you not replace Bednar with Boudreau? Bednar is an okay coach imo but his refusal to even look at special teams, his idea of not being responsible for motivating the players and his relative weakness when it comes to developing young players (I know the last point can be argued) are becoming tiresome.
Get rid of the assistants then. I don't want to do a total 180 in terms of the style of play with this team now.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I'm no expert on the Wild but it would seem that the roster is the issue here. I'm not sure if another coach can squeeze any more points out of that team.
Exactly. I was really impressed with how Boudreau was able to overachieve this year with that roster and subpar goaltending. Perplexing to fire the biggest strength of that team! And on the flip side, a coach who pulls out terrible analytics from his team over the last 15 months in Maurice gets extended. Strange times.

Reactions: hn777

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
They must be hiring one of the “big names” currently available.

Otherwise, the timing makes no sense. That roster isn’t good on paper and it’s even worse in gameplay. And they’ve been playing well lately.

Not like he’s been there long, but Guerin hasn’t done anything remotely impressive with that team thus far.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild fans were fine with the Zucker trade. Not so much with the BB firing. Seemed unnecessary, unless there is another shoe to drop. Guerin goodwill with the fans dropped a little after this firing. Could've easily waited till the off season, and treated BB with more class.

Reactions: hn777 and mulefarm

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
This Wild fan's good with it.

I like Boudreau and think he did a good job. Someone will hire him this summer and he'll do a good job there, too. Maybe it'll be a team with a decent goalie and he'll actually be able to make the push he wasn't able to in Minnesota (which I don't think was his fault).

He was never going to get renewed here though, and I do think Guerin's right to be concerned with the way he's been using players: not necessarily catering to veterans, but leaning too much on certain guys regardless of how they or others are playing. Accountability's one part of it, but it also makes it harder to evaluate what he's got at a time where he needs to make some critical decisions about who stays and who goes.

As an example: all the rumors this autumn were that anyone could have Kevin Fiala for a song. He was struggling to find a place in the line-up and was healthy scratched a few times. Eventually he gets a shot on a line with Koivu and Parise (who was also in a major funk early, but kept leading the team in ice time), he goes on a hot streak, and after that he's pretty much untouchable. At this point he's not only off-limits for a trade, he's the guy that Boudreau's been using to try to get the scoring lines "going" again.

So if you're Guerin, you just watched a bullet whiz by your head because of how your head coach manages his players. Not that Boudreau's peculiar in that regard at all, because I think most coaches work that way. But he's got a very similar situation with Ryan Donato right now, a skilled young player who's got 11 goals playing mostly 4th line minutes with periodic healthy scratches. How comfortable should he be auctioning this kid off right now? How comfortable should he be hanging on to Eric Staal as his 1C for next year? And he's probably got a lot of other questions that haven't occurred to me.

Anyway, Boudreau's a good coach and he'll land on his feet. Despite the initial anger I have to think that getting away from this team right now is at least a little bit of a relief.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
This thread reminds me so much of the thread when the Bruins fired Claude Julien and he went to Montreal and so many people were wrong.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Guerin could (or maybe should of) waited till the end of the year, but figured when Guerin was hired BB wasn't his choice going forward and probably looking for a reason to release him. I think Guerin is acting on this now to see how the team responds and to send a message. It's probably how he wants to evaluate the personnel the rest of the season,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad