Confirmed with Link: Brown, Prosser placed on waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Brown signed a 2 year, 1 way deal this off-season. I'll be surprised if any team picks him up because of that extra year/money.

I could see Prosser getting picked up if some teams needs a couple of week depth injury filler d-man.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Hmmm...Wild a perceived "soft team" already, gets rid of two guys who aren't costing them a bunch, but could provide the kind of grit and "jam" that not many others on the team seem able to provide?
Alrighty then.... on with the "tweaks", Mr. Fenton...

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hmmm...Wild a perceived "soft team" already, gets rid of two guys who aren't costing them a bunch, but could provide the kind of grit and "jam" that not many others on the team seem able to provide?
Alrighty then.... on with the "tweaks", Mr. Fenton...

Who do you suggest we waive? We need more offensive minded players, so...

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Who do you suggest we waive? We need more offensive minded players, so...

Honestly, I don't have a suggestion for "waiver wire fodder" right off the top...I merely was musing that those two guys represented something the Wild seem to need....sandpaper quality.
The team is SUPPOSED to have offensive minded players already...except the majority of them aren't exactly doing what they are being paid to do.

And I don't see how waiving two foot soldiers (unless, like I already said, there was some other problem) does anything to help the Wild's offensive woes.
The team is just inconsistent. Plain n simple.

Zucker, Granlund, Koivu, Staal, Coyle, and then they traded for Rask...these guys are supposed to be carrying the offense from the front lines.
Suter, Spurgeon, maybe Hunt from the back end.

But none of those guys have consistently been there for this team...and some still, have been downright invisible almost all year.

Not saying the Wild are "wrong" per se for the waiver moves....again, just wondering aloud on that.
I think either, provided there aren't deeper rooted problems, would make fine pick ups for any team that needs some grind, jam, and the ability to piss off the opposition and make them do stupid things.

I am under no delusion those two guys were gonna move the needle offensively......but they do provide some other things that can be important to a team, and in the case of Minnesota, their lack of grit among many of their guys, would be one.

Last edited:
Reactions: thestonedkoala

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Replacements have been summoned …
From Russo: Kunin and Rau have been recalled

Attachments

• tweet24.png
    tweet24.png
    148.3 KB · Views: 6

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Russo said on his last podcast that if Prosser gets waived the locker room is going to be pissed. Not that I'm in favor of keeping the status quo on this team, but it does call into question picking up a guy like Bitetto, who hasn't played yet and apparently didn't play PP or PK in Nashville, just to waive a guy who is well liked in the locker room. There's shaking things up for the good of the team and then there's stuff like this where you wonder where the real benefit is of the move.

Reactions: 2Pair

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
If the locker room gets pissed about waiving a guy who is now your 8th defenseman on the depth chart, doesn't that signal bigger issues?

Reactions: 57special

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
If the locker room gets pissed about waiving a guy who is now your 8th defenseman on the depth chart, doesn't that signal bigger issues?
Like I said, I'm not in favor of just keeping the status quo for the sake of appeasing the locker room, but if you're going to waive a well-liked guy like Prosser, it shouldn't be for what essentially amounts to a lateral move.

Reactions: 2Pair

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the locker room is pissed about a no talent like Prosser, then they are really worrying about the wrong things. They should be worried about doing their job well, because if they continue they way they have been then things are going to get way more unpleasant than waiving a couple of fringe players.

The fact that the Wild are still in a WC spot is allowing this team to lie to themselves about how good they are. In any other recent year they would be out of the playoffs. It's only the weakness of the West in general that is keeping them in the playoffs, though I don't know if I expect that to last.

This team is a 5 game losing streak away from being blown up. I don't think they will go the "firing the coach" route this time, but you never know.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If you replace that guy with someone who isn't any better than Prosser?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
If you replace that guy with someone who isn't any better than Prosser?
I know that's your opinion, but it's apparently not Fenton's. Have you seen Bitetto play much? I'll be honest, I had never heard of the guy before the waiver claim, so I can't give you anything on his skill level or if he's actually an upgrade.

Or possibly worse considering Prosser/Bitetto's actual role: to not play and not mope about it.
Bitetto hasn't played much and we've heard nothing about moping. Most teams have guys like that. It's not like Prosser is some special breed here.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I know that's your opinion, but it's apparently not Fenton's. Have you seen Bitetto play much? I'll be honest, I had never heard of the guy before the waiver claim, so I can't give you anything on his skill level or if he's actually an upgrade.

Bitetto hasn't played much and we've heard nothing about moping. Most teams have guys like that. It's not like Prosser is some special breed here.
I don't think it's all that consequential either way, just not a fan.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

I don't have any idea if Bitetto is as good or better than Prosser. I would be willing to bet that the difference is negligible. My opinion is that it's a giant waste of time and energy to worry about replacing your #8-9 defenseman. Especially when the one you already have is good at it, and really liked and respected by the players on your team that actually matter.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Are they stylistically different? Again, I've never seen Bitetto play still. If he provides more offense than Prosser and that's specifically what Fenton is looking for from that role, that could justify the move.

Of course we have no idea the exact reason why, just trying to think of what his thought process may have been. But you're right, if they're similar players and equally skilled, there's no point.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Bitetto is a better player skillwise, maybe a little less "edge" to his game than Prosser, but also four years younger and a known quantity of the new GM. Any moves should be seen in the larger context of remaking the team in Fenton's own vision. And also helping the AHL team eventually this spring.

Says a ton about Prosser that people are upset - even a little - about the move.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I get not wanting to rock the locker room of a good team but this team? Continuity is a luxury of good teams that have won something.
Exactly. Go win something, then we'll see about carrying an extra player as a team mascot. No offense to Prosser or Brown. Both tried hard. Prosser made the most out of extremely limited talent, and Brown is a courageous, tough little dude. He actually had more physical talent than Prosser, but doesn't seem to have any puck skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad