Broward officials hire consultant to assess possibility of allowing Panthers to leave

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
NHL should pay, they have funds for this kind of situations, credit line.

JOL

True, but let's hope it doesn't get to that point.

Let's defuse the situation with gifs

ec7d71ee40e9096a1e9ad07b1f23c7bd.jpg

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
coyotes is bettmans baby though, the commissioner that helped hizenguina start up the franchise was corrupt and ****

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Would fit in nicely with us finally getting kids who are good. We could finally come competitive. Let's move the team!

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
If this team were moving I feel like Viola wouldnt have put a penny into us and made us a low cap team. Just like when we sold everything once Huizengena wanted to sell us

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Let's all remember an important thing; Viola is from New York. Where do folks from New York go when they retire? FLORIDA! IMO, as long as he owns the team it will stay here!

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
constant drama with this team, be it constant turnover of management and coaches, low cap hits, $$$ loss. now it looks like we're pulling things together and i have to hear about this. will it ever end. do all teams go through this, or is it just the panthers, atlanta, phonexis'es of the world?:help::rant::shakehead:amazed::cry:

in reality i think that broward getting the cat's to leave is very far fetched, but the scary thing is viola can use these findings to move the team if he wants. to me that's the major concern!

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
If we were ever to leave, I'd be done with hockey. At least for a long while anyway.

I'd never become a Lightning fan.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
If the issue is about not getting money from Broward County, couldn't we technically just relocate to another county? (i.e. back to Miami Dade or up to Palm Beach)

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
La Presse can **** off too. Just because Quebec City couldn't hold and NHL club, Winnipeg gets theres back, they are going to do everything in there power to try and twist and turn anything said, about any financially struggling club, to bring a team back to there failed culture/community.

Quebec City is "pathétique."

It's not because you are scared that you should post **** like that.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
If the issue is about not getting money from Broward County, couldn't we technically just relocate to another county? (i.e. back to Miami Dade or up to Palm Beach)

yeah i'm okay with palm beach, even better st. lucie county. well, better for me, but i hope cats stay put, or move to another location in florida.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
yeah i'm okay with palm beach, even better st. lucie county. well, better for me, but i hope cats stay put, or move to another location in florida.

Cant we move back to Miami and play in the AAA? The seats are already red and we can keep the TV market. Maybe we can get rid of the indian burial curse.

Jan 19, 2006
It's a moot point because I cannot imagine any scenario where the Panthers leave BB&T in the near future, but...

Panthers will lose a big chunk of their STHer base if they move south to AAA and won't gain as much as people would think. A lot of people think of it as moving to the city of Miami and think of the traditional concept of a city (as in Europe and the northeast US) whereas all of south Florida is essentially a large sprawling suburb with a small strip of high rise condos along the coast line.

I haven't lived in Dade county for years, but with the rate of traffic increase going west to east, it wouldn't surprise me if someone in west Dade county couldn't get to the BB&T in Broward (right off the Turnpike) quicker than they could the AAA (the snails crawl east on 836).

IMO, the Panthers have the optimal (realistic) location to capture the largest number of potential fans in the demographic they are looking for.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I dont fully understand the article. Can someone break it down for me?

When Viola bought the team, didnt he say the team would stay and they would build a winner in Florida. Maybe he wants to move the team back to Miami? More people, easier to sell tickets etc.

Jan 19, 2006
I dont fully understand the article. Can someone break it down for me?

When Viola bought the team, didnt he say the team would stay and they would build a winner in Florida. Maybe he wants to move the team back to Miami? More people, easier to sell tickets etc.

1. Panthers want more taxpayer loot
2. Broward county says 'nyet'
3. Panthers make subtle threats that they may not be around if they don't get their way
4. Broward county says "fine" and hires someone to tell the commission what would happen if the Panthers left

Neither party wins if they don't reach an agreement. They are just posturing in order to get the most favorable terms for their side.

None of this is very surprising or alarming. Both parties are behaving exactly as you would expect them to.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Let's all remember an important thing; Viola is from New York. Where do folks from New York go when they retire? FLORIDA! IMO, as long as he owns the team it will stay here!

Yeah, I was gonna post this. A Northeastern guy like him wants to live in Florida, not Seattle. His wife is also from Florida.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
After sleeping on this news, I don't feel as poorly today about the situation. Many fans are panicking and thinking "That's it. We're moving to Quebec." A lot still has to go wrong for that to happen from both sides. I do understand that this is the first ever quoted evidence that we've seen on the slightly possibility of it happening to put a scare into us.

I think with the job Viola has done since he took over the ownership of acquiring Luongo, firing Yormark, and spending to fill holes in this offseason shows that he is indeed committed to making this team competitive. I think he does want to keep the team in South Florida. His whole family recently moved down here and seem to love the area. They have the money to spend as far as we know to cover the debt lost from the past. It looks like the Panthers are trying to get out of the situation with the county as easy as possible and hence the hardball negotiations. We'll see what happens, but I feel a hell of a lot more optimistic than after reading the news last night.

I'd find it hard to believe that the Panthers would stay in South Florida, but play in a different arena elsewhere than Sunrise. I think the county will realize how important the arena is not only for the Panthers, but for all of the events that are brought in as well.

The problem with a new location is that South Florida is so large north to south. We're talking attracting a fanbase from Jupiter to Homestead which is roughly 125 miles and beyond if you're in The Keys or Treasure Coast. Building a new arena in Miami-Dade or in Palm Beach isn't easy for people on the north or south sides to get to games with no legit transportation system, which is why Broward was a prime location when building our current arena.

Personally, if the Panthers did ever move, there is no way and hell I can see myself support them in Quebec, Seattle, or wherever. I also built up so much hatred for the Lightning over the years, that wouldn't ever happen either. I don't think I could stop watching the sport as I love it more than anything, so I'd probably support another struggling franchise in the Islanders as they're my second favorite team.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Don't forget the West Coast playa. That's South Florida too. And yeah BB&T is a hell of a lot quicker to get to from the west coast than AAA.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
No way does the county just let the BB&T center sit there empty for months at a time. Yeah, there's concerts and stuff, but those don't happen THAT often. We aren't going to leave, the county is just trying to save as much money as possible while still keeping the Panthers here. Just for discussion sake though, if the Panthers did move, I'd be done with the NHL. I'm sure all of you guys have seen the typical "hurr move the Panthers" comments on Facebook, Youtube, etc., and a lot of those people will try to justify it with saying that Panthers fans will just become Lightning fans. I can't speak for everyone here, but I sure as hell won't just "switch" to watching the Lightning. No no no no no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad