Broward officials hire consultant to assess possibility of allowing Panthers to leave

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I just want some confirmation, I would love nothing more than for this topic to be locked tomorrow and be reprimanded for posting a bad article...

Crossing my fingers.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I will admit, this is the first time I've ever thought an article like this might be legit and a bit of a sick feeling has gone to my stomach. It is from a good source, but then again, it is also a Canadian outlet. I don't 100% believe it, but I'm sure we'll find out more truth to this in the coming days.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Saw it on FB. Bettman wants the team to stay, location has never been the issue. Don't think we move, think this will lead to a settlement on the building that'll lower the Panthers amount due.

Need to start jumping on the Violas. Didn't they say the team was staying?

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Ugh. Bad feeling about this. Especially when reports of Gretzky wanting to bring a team to Seattle recently came out.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Seems to be negotiating 1.0.
Viola may have pushed his hand a little hard here and they're getting push back.
They will settle, broward can not have an idle arena.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
La Presse can **** off too. Just because Quebec City couldn't hold and NHL club, Winnipeg gets theres back, they are going to do everything in there power to try and twist and turn anything said, about any financially struggling club, to bring a team back to there failed culture/community.

Quebec City is "pathétique."

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
"I never said that I would give more money to the Panthers. We expect the conclusions of the consultant", she wrote. "We have options if we fail to agree, then the consultant will tell us what is the best interest of the County."

It sounds like posturing/negotiating. Nothing really that damning. Also, LOL at the idea of someone with the twitter handle @bestmom39 being the catalyst if this team moves.

I think there is less than a 1% chance we move. The TV market is too big down here to lose. Bettman is a huge supporter. We have an owner who has money. I'm not concerned. Also, the report could say it is not in the best interest of Boward Country for the Panthers to move.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'm going to caplock this just to make sure everyone sees it:

THIS HAS BEEN KNOWN SINCE MARCH.

The article from Lapresse was simply sensationalizing, nothing new came out today except we found out the consultant will have his findings by October.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Arizona is still there, and owe haven't seen this from anywhere else. Let's wait on local reporters, how often is Canadian media wrong?

You'd think this info would've been out there before FA. (Possibilities of it). At least to players b

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Arizona is still there, and owe haven't seen this from anywhere else. Let's wait on local reporters, how often is Canadian media wrong?

You'd think this info would've been out there before FA. (Possibilities of it). At least to players b

Arizona is done in 2017 but the problem with that is Quebec is East, they're West. Moving them would make it too unbalanced, my gut says they go to Seattle (Barring the miracle they turn it around the next 4 years)

This info was out before, what the mayor said just made for a good quote.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Arizona is done in 2017 but the problem with that is Quebec is East, they're West. Moving them would make it too unbalanced, my gut says they go to Seattle (Barring the miracle they turn it around the next 4 years)

This info was out before, what the mayor said just made for a good quote.

Bettman still trying to get them to stay, and Winnipeg changed the whole league. Three teams moving that were set up under his watch would not be good. Solidifies my belief that we're staying put.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Bettman still trying to get them to stay, and Winnipeg changed the whole league. Three teams moving that we're set up under his watch would not be good. Solidifies my belief that we're staying put.

Bettman has done all he can to get them to stay (Coyotes that is). Their lease has an opt out clause after 5 years (well now 4) where if they lose 50 million they can opt out. They lost approx. 15- 20 million in year 1.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
If it means losing the team ownership will settle on a county approved plan on which taxpayers get kick backs. We aren't leaving. It's a bluff.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
If it means losing the team ownership will settle on a county approved plan on which taxpayers get kick backs. We aren't leaving. It's a bluff.

I agree. But the question rests with ownership, not the county. The county is most certainly bluffing and they don't want the team to go. That doesn't mean they won't fall through if Viola doesn't budge. This could, after all, be a way to weasel his way out if he did have dark intentions from the get go.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Wasn't this in the plan months ago?

Yes it's been known for almost 6 months. This is a headline because the mayor said she won't give any money if the consultant finds that they're a lost cause, but I don't think anyone here thought she would give them money if the consultant came to that ruling anyways. I still think the consultant will find it favourable to give them at least partial funding (that is if the County and ownership don't reach a deal in the meantime).

I agree. But the question rests with ownership, not the county. The county is most certainly bluffing and they don't want the team to go. That doesn't mean they won't fall through if Viola doesn't budge. This could, after all, be a way to weasel his way out if he did have dark intentions from the get go.

She's not bluffing. It's an election year. If the conclusion is reached that it's throwing money down a pit, they won't get funding. Then we'll see if Rory was bluffing.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Yes it's been known for almost 6 months. This is a headline because the mayor said she won't give any money if the consultant finds that they're a lost cause, but I don't think anyone here thought she would give them money if the consultant came to that ruling anyways. I still think the consultant will find it favourable to give them at least partial funding (that is if the County and ownership don't reach a deal in the meantime).

She's not bluffing. It's an election year. If the conclusion is reached that it's throwing money down a pit, they won't get funding. Then we'll see if Rory was bluffing.

It's a bluff to say that they want to move the team. It's a negotiation tactic. Start at polar opposites and meet in the middle. That's what I mean by a bluff.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
If the Panthers were to move I don't think I could be more upset about anything ever. No matter how much this team sucks they're MY team, OUR team.. it sucks seeing teams relocate, hoping for the best outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad