Brothers

stamkosisboss

Mar 27, 2010
Leafs Nation
Who do you believe were the best brothers ever to play in the NHL? I know The great one and his bro hold the scoring record for brothers :yo: but who were the best when it comes to both of them being talented?

I'm thinking the Schenn brothers gave a shoot at the title, For the future.

Last edited:

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
The Schenn brothers are almost as good as Maurice and Henri Richard but I think we should wait a couple more years before we say for sure. They're definitely ahead of Phil and Tony Esposito already.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hard to imagine it being anyone but the Richard brothers. Tony and Phil Esposito come very close though. Not to mention Bill and Bun Cook, although they are a shade behind. These are the only brothers in the Hall of Fame by my count.

Honourable mentions off the top of my head:
Sutters - all 6 of them
Eric and Jordan and Mark Staal - Eric is clearly the best of the bunch
Peter, Marion and Anton Stastny - Peter is the best
Bobby and Dennis Hull
Frank and Peter Mahovlich

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
In considering this question I think it's important to consider how bad the worst player is, because combinations like the Gretzkys don't really seem to fit the spirit of the concept. The Richards and Espositos are in a clear class of their own when viewed in this way, with the Cooks, Mahovlichs, Hulls, Sedins, and Statsnys in the next group (as well as some others).

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Maurice and Henri for me for sure.
Although the Sutters and Staals and such have an impressive number.

ps. HoH really shows its worthiness by not mentioning the unmentionable siblings from an unmentionable Canadian team. (that's a search block ;) )

Avsfanftw

Mar 11, 2010
Colorado Springs
Hard to imagine it being anyone but the Richard brothers. Tony and Phil Esposito come very close though. Not to mention Bill and Bun Cook, although they are a shade behind. These are the only brothers in the Hall of Fame by my count.

Honourable mentions off the top of my head:
Sutters - all 6 of them
Eric and Jordan and Mark Staal - Eric is clearly the best of the bunch
Peter, Marion and Anton Stastny - Peter is the best
Bobby and Dennis Hull
Frank and Peter Mahovlich

You forget Jared Staal he is supposed to be the best of the Staal brothers:sarcasm:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Richard brothers, which is interesting since they hardly would have played together growing up due to the age difference.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Jarome Iginla
Grant Fuhr
PK Subban
Mike Grier
Andreas Lilja

haha, good one. Tony McKegney is jealous

Conacher
Lionel, Roy, Charlie

Boucher
Georges, Frank

Bentley
Max, Doug

Stuart
Bruce, Hod

Ah the Bentleys. Yeah come to think of it they'd be right up there overall with the Espositos

I should have known better with the Conachers as well

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
The ones that made the biggest impression on me were the three Stastny brothers with Quebec. A buddy and I went to see the Nords play the Rangers at Madison Square Garden the year of the merger and we were floored at how the Stastnys dominated the ice and moved the puck around as if by telepathy. They had this way of hunching their shoulders that looked so dominating too. We became instant fans and couldn't stop talking about the Stastnys that year!!

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Sedin twins will be up there before Schenns, but will never surpass legends like the ones mentioned above

A couple of more years like this one and they could get ahead of the Mahovlich's...then again I tend to think of the Sedins as one player occupying two bodies. I guess a better case could be made for them if they were separated which will likely never happen.

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
Sedin twins will be up there before Schenns, but will never surpass legends like the ones mentioned above

Why not?

While Frank Mahovlich may still have a better pedigree than either of the Sedins, both of them have achieved more than Peter did individually.

Now I assume Daniel will get the Art Ross this season, which makes their shared trophy-case rather impressive.

Actually.. How many brothers have won both won awards in the NHL?

FiveForDrawingBlood

May 25, 2010
Schenn would have a long ways to go yet to reach status of some brother combos. The Richards, Espositos, Mahovlichs, Drydens, Stastnys, Sutters, Staals to name a few

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
not to forget pavel bure and valeri bure

most goals in a season scored by two brothers [1999-00 - 58|35 - 93]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad