Post-Game Talk: broons vs Caps 7:09. .GIF EDITON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Nisky and Orpik IMMEDIATELY legitimized this team's D corp. Something that hadn't been done in what 15+ years? Free agents are overpriced. It's the nature of picking up two legit skill players for no loss of tangible assets (prospects, picks, roster players). I make those two signings 100 times over if I'm GMBM.

Did you just call Orpik a skill player?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Our D was terrible but Orpik is not a skill player. Orpik shuts down the opposition and plays physical. He doesn't have a lot of skills with the puck. It's as if you called Girardi a skill player.

Who cares? You're arguing about a label. What's important is that Orpik has been a good signing so far, and I'm one of the local posters who initially railed against it. He might be a big burden by the end of his contract, but he was great last year and he's trending in the right direction this year.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Well, an amount of Kuzy's points wasn't the problem I questioned. Just his play. There are areas he should get better at. Getting to play with Ovi means he has to adapt. That means he needs time. That's what I said.

Also, almost half of those points came against Edmonton. We call them "The Siberian Bottom" in our small Russian chat.

Also, his job isn't to score some points. His job is to help win the Cup. Did he play so wonderful against Pens or Rags? Last I checked we will see them in April most probably, not Edmonton.

Not that he was wonderful, but he did score our only goal and was the 3rd star in that game... and even if you take away that Edmonton -game, he still has 9 points in 11 games, which is still good 1C production in today's NHL. I do agree that he needs to get better at some areas (board play, face-offs, defensive positioning).

Good win. Hopefully Holtby woke up for this season now after that Rangers -game.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Our D was terrible but Orpik is not a skill player. Orpik shuts down the opposition and plays physical. He doesn't have a lot of skills with the puck. It's as if you called Girardi a skill player.

Those are skills as well as leadership. Maybe not puck skills, but those are desirable traits and why he was desirable as a UFA.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Offensive skill isn't the only skill in hockey.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Who cares? You're arguing about a label. What's important is that Orpik has been a good signing so far, and I'm one of the local posters who initially railed against it. He might be a big burden by the end of his contract, but he was great last year and he's trending in the right direction this year.
Those are skills as well as leadership. Maybe not puck skills, but those are desirable traits and why he was desirable as a UFA.

I never denied that. I'm just saying that Orpik isn't what I would call a skill player. Not every player has to be a skill player. Orpik is very good defensively, that's all we ask from him.

Offensive skill isn't the only skill in hockey.

It is what most people imply when they say "skill". In this case, I guess everyone is a skill player.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It is what most people imply when they say "skill". In this case, I guess everyone is a skill player.

It's not what the word means, and those people are using it wrong. They're typically people who only value danglers and you can't ice teams with nothing but danglers. It's dismissive of all the other skills involved in hockey.

It's a nitpick. Who cares. Orpik is a top pair defensemen and that's clearly what the post meant. Nobody is saying he's Mike Green in his prime.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I loved seeing Orlov with the open ice hit.

Then again, who doesn't like a clean open ice hit.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Is it me, or should Oshie have at least 12 goals right now? The guy seems to get two grade A+ chances a game - which is great - but it I'd love to seem him bury more of them.

Nice to see Orlov channel his inner Darius Kasparaitis.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I hope Schmidt stays in the lineup. I think Orlov and Schmidt have great potential...1st half of the season with them will probably be the good with a little of the bad and ugly.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Considering it's a VERY sought after skillset that he brings we'll agree to disagree.

Top player, key position guys are skill players in my eyes. I'm not talking about dangling skills.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's not what the word means, and those people are using it wrong. They're typically people who only value danglers and you can't ice teams with nothing but danglers. It's dismissive of all the other skills involved in hockey.

It's a nitpick. Who cares. Orpik is a top pair defensemen and that's clearly what the post meant. Nobody is saying he's Mike Green in his prime.

Thank you.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The D was a mess. If things turn out the right way, the positive impact of Orpik will be felt in the locker room for a decade after his contract expires.

This.

I agree with the worriers that his contract could hurt in the end....but his impact since he arrived has been incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad