Post-Game Talk: broons vs Caps 7:09. .GIF EDITON

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I am absolutely not pining for Green, but it's hard to ignore how few PP shots Ovie's gotten so far. To these eyes this is largely due to too few pucks arriving in his wheelhouse. That was Green's job. Now it's Carlson's, and I don't think he's doing it well enough yet.

That said, 74 is doing his PP shooting job pretty well, so there's that. But losing the automatic Ovie PP goal is not a good thing, so they need that sorted out.

I agree.

Orlov/Schmidt >>> 3rd pair last year (whatever iteration) at ES.

That said Green is a huge loss to Ovechkin on the PP and the PP in general. He could put it in his spot a lot better and I think that's obvious.

Carlson and Niskanen were always more aggressive shooters but Green had the sweet subtle fakes that would freeze the PK for a fraction of a second before laying a softer pass right in 8s wheelhouse.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think it's a completely unimportant point, splitting hairs. Green's dishes and Carlson's shots last year ended up giving very similar PP numbers. There was no advantage to having Green there -- the bad balanced out the good. If anything, with Carlson it's still a net positive, because there are fewer shorthanded chances against.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Since they're shadowing Ovie more it won't matter who's making the pass. The shot is probably hitting a defender, and the goalie is in better position.

The ideal scenario requires another threat to relieve the pressure on Ovechkin's side, specifically Backstrom as he's one pass away from the pivot but on the opposite side. The guys in the middle can still be covered by PKers merely leaning toward Ovie, so they're simply additional options. Mojo down low is a skip-pass through traffic away so also not a threat that opens things up for Ovechkin..

It has to be Backstrom or Kuz. They have to shoot more. And Ovie should be ready for the rebounds, especially when they shoot low.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think it's a completely unimportant point, splitting hairs. Green's dishes and Carlson's shots last year ended up giving very similar PP numbers. There was no advantage to having Green there -- the bad balanced out the good. If anything, with Carlson it's still a net positive, because there are fewer shorthanded chances against.

But you miss the point. It's not a one-for-one trade. Carlson needs to shoot when he has a shot, but he also needs to be able to pass to Ovie when 8 has the shot. As of now, we have Carlson's goals but they are not adding to Ovie's goals, so it's a substantial net negative for the time being.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
But you miss the point. It's not a one-for-one trade. Carlson needs to shoot when he has a shot, but he also needs to be able to pass to Ovie when 8 has the shot. As of now, we have Carlson's goals but they are not adding to Ovie's goals, so it's a substantial net negative for the time being.

You clearly did not understand what I wrote, so I don't think you're in a great position to tell whether I missed some point or not :)

Is Carlson substantially more selfish on the PP this year than last year? If not, there is no real issue. If teams have simply begun to cheat more towards Ovi, then the PP will have to make them pay via others, which it should be perfectly capable of doing.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You clearly did not understand what I wrote, so I don't think you're in a great position to tell whether I missed some point or not :)

Is Carlson substantially more selfish on the PP this year than last year? If not, there is no real issue. If teams have simply begun to cheat more towards Ovi, then the PP will have to make them pay via others, which it should be perfectly capable of doing.

Maybe you are right. I just see a lot of Ovechkin having to receive a poor pass that he can't one time.

I wonder how many Primary assists on Ovechkin goals Carlson and Green had respectively last year? It would be interesting to find out

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hey, what do you think of Orlov this year?

IIRC, you were concerned about losing Mike Green, especially in light of Orlov's very uncertain injury recovery..?

I was concerned about losing Green. I said that Orlov was the x factor. So far Orlov has been a solid 3rd pair young defenseman. He is clearly a project for Trotz and company and his play has been uneven. About what you would expect given the circumstances.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I am absolutely not pining for Green, but it's hard to ignore how few PP shots Ovie's gotten so far. To these eyes this is largely due to too few pucks arriving in his wheelhouse. That was Green's job. Now it's Carlson's, and I don't think he's doing it well enough yet.

That said, 74 is doing his PP shooting job pretty well, so there's that. But losing the automatic Ovie PP goal is not a good thing, so they need that sorted out.

Call me crazy but, I think the automatic Ovie PP goal being taken away is a blessing in disguise. it will force the caps to become more creative and use more looks than before. it seemed in the playoffs our automatic Ovie PP goals were diminished rather easily.

the PP will come back around before long I believe. once we establish another viable PP threat with some frequency, Ovie will get his.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

I agree Green served it up best on the PP (though not sure much more than Carlson or potentially Orlov) but that said just sort of get the feel that the PP mandate early this season was diversifying the PP looks/plays.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

There is an issue because Carlson has taken on a new role... Feeding Ovie. The issue as I see it is not whether he is more or less selfish, but rather, whether he can not only score when he had the shot but give Ovie the perfect pass when that is the best option, not to mention knowing the difference.

I agree Green served it up best on the PP (though not sure much more than Carlson or potentially Orlov) but that said just sort of get the feel that the PP mandate early this season was diversifying the PP looks/plays.

Totally agree, and I have love seeing Oshie score in TBro's spot, as well as Carlson. But the passes to Ovie have not been where they need to be. When he is the best option, he needs a one-time-able pass.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Is it just me, or didn't Green struggle a lot with setting up Ovechkin as well? IIRC, the 2012-13 season was marked with those passes AO had to adjust for so much he couldn't one-time the puck. He got better with that later, but it always confused me how such a skilled player couldn't make such a simple pass.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
IIRC, you were concerned about losing Mike Green, especially in light of Orlov's career ending?

Btw, I have a photo with Orlov. He's at least my height. And I'm ~183cm. That has to be 6'0'', right?

The thing with him is his wideness (thickness?). He's the ****ing tank. That's why he's to be visually shorter. IMHO :)

EDIT: Lets wait till Carlson earns 7M/year and then we can release our wrath against him and his mistakes.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Call me crazy but, I think the automatic Ovie PP goal being taken away is a blessing in disguise. it will force the caps to become more creative and use more looks than before. it seemed in the playoffs our automatic Ovie PP goals were diminished rather easily.

the PP will come back around before long I believe. once we establish another viable PP threat with some frequency, Ovie will get his.

As long as they keep winning, then yes.

The concern I have is the Metro is starting to *already* sort itself out. Top 4 of NYR, Caps, Pens, and Isles seems to be forming and unless something weird happens with injuries, I'd be hard pressed to see any of those 4 fall out (someone could be added as a 5, as the Atlantic seems weaker this year after top 2-3 teams).

And last year, as in most years, proved that Home Ice matters in the playoffs. We beat Isles game 7, lost to Rags. Home ice prevailed. It will be a big deal to at *least* get 2nd in the Metro again, as it will be a real challenge to try and win 2 series as road teams. It's not impossible, but it's a lot harder.

So...wins matter now. So much so that our franchise best 9-3 start still only have the Caps in a relative tie for the top 3. Pens are now on a roll, and the Rags have been holding serve all season (and we are 0–2 against them).

Ovy getting the PP clicking in absolutely needed to win regular season games. 1000%. I don't think a high PP % is sustainable if #8 isn't scoring PP goals.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
i wouldn't worry about our PP. Oshie instead of T-bro works fine. And Ovi's 7ES+0PP is far better than 2ES+5PP.

Again tho, that's not the choice. Improving Ovie's (and the team's) ES scoring need not come at the expense of the PP. why not 7 ES & 4 PP, with his other PPGs going to Carlson and Oshie?

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Nisky and Orpik IMMEDIATELY legitimized this team's D corp. Something that hadn't been done in what 15+ years? Free agents are overpriced. It's the nature of picking up two legit skill players for no loss of tangible assets (prospects, picks, roster players). I make those two signings 100 times over if I'm GMBM.

I said that is what it took to be competitive but they both looked better last year. Teams with a speedy aggressive forecheck who take away the walls really hem the Caps in this year. The Florida game I saw a panthers team just snapping it around missing two of their best players...actually three if you count Lou.

Boston isn't a fast team. They're trying to become quicker but other than Krug there is no mobility back there. Two teams in this league the Caps usually beat that are good are the Bruins and Jets. Both those teams try to win with big bodies and the Caps match up well with them.

What's their record vs playoff teams in the metro this year? That's why the defense and not just defenseman...the total team game must be improved against those teams or this team will likely be one and done again.

Pardon the few of us that want to talk about our godly defense core that isn't always playing so godlike. Last I checked this team hasn't won ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad