GDT: broons versus hooricanes

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
advertising is especially bad up here

if you tell someone you are an #hcanes fan up around here

ppl assume you are from lethbridge

how the **** did a team in alberta ever get called that?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Or you know, just make the playoffs more than a couple of times in a generation. If somehow they made the playoffs this year, you know attendance will go way up next year. Not rocket science.

Maybe the Canes figure that they don't need to do any of that, that any money they spend in the local rinks is a waste because it's preaching to the converted.

Winning fixes most of this, of course, but still.

Yep, stop ******** the bed in October being out of it by Christmas (or in some cases, Thanksgiving.) Even this year, they weren't great early on. Make the playoffs regularly and there will be a buzz. Win regularly and attendance will be good. Have a crappy team and the best marketing in the world will barely move the needle.

I agree with Hank's other comment. I think the Canes think advertising at local rinks is just preaching to the converted, but with how poorly they've done in recent years, the interest of even some of the converted has waned.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
The entire Triangle should "feel" like Hurricanes country. From the airport, to downtown, to neighborhood pick-up games. The logo should be plastered over all of it.

I dunno about you all, but I feel that way when I go to a different city. When I'm in D.C., even when I'm visiting family and have no plans for a sporting event, it "feels" like the Capitals home. We've got to make Raleigh "feel" like the Hurricanes home. There's got to be a Hurricanes presence in the air. I feel it when I'm in other cities. It's possible.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The rink at American Tobacco two years ago at Christmas was awesome. Of course, global warming makes outdoor rinks in the south a tricky proposition...

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The entire Triangle should "feel" like Hurricanes country. From the airport, to downtown, to neighborhood pick-up games. The logo should be plastered over all of it.

I dunno about you all, but I feel that way when I go to a different city. When I'm in D.C., even when I'm visiting family and have no plans for a sporting event, it "feels" like the Capitals home. We've got to make Raleigh "feel" like the Hurricanes home. There's got to be a Hurricanes presence in the air. I feel it when I'm in other cities. It's possible.

Don't know if it's still up, but North Hills had a cool Canes display up last week. Had banners with the players names and numbers hanging up over the entrance of the parking deck. And while they had the usual suspects (Faulk, Staal, Skinner, Ward), I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of the younger guys get banners as well.

Wish I had taken a picture. It was a nice touch.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net

Practically every street in downtown Raleigh has Canes flags on many of the lampposts. I always liked that. Does anyone know if the PNC building spire still lights up red after a goal? I remember that being a thing a couple years ago.

Attendance seemed pretty good Friday but the building was quieter than I remember.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Practically every street in downtown Raleigh has Canes flags on many of the lampposts. I always liked that. Does anyone know if the PNC building spire still lights up red after a goal? I remember that being a thing a couple years ago.

Attendance seemed pretty good Friday but the building was quieter than I remember.

I'm not sure if that's still a thing or not. I think that might have been a one-year thing.

But I'm not always right so someone else will have to confirm.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles

And no one still gave a damn until Alexander Ovechkin came to town. FACT: the Caps only sellout in the 2005-06 season was against the eventual Stanley Cup Winning Carolina Hurricanes.

No one remembers that attendance was bad in DC before AO and the Caps playoff (losing) streak. I love to point that out to newcomers to the city. Same for Nationals.

Winning works. Plain and simple people.

Wanna test this out? Ask a Washingtonian who the Wizards are. They are the biggest joke in town.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Pittsburgh was on the verge of bankruptcy and relocation prior to Sidney. It took there franchise 18 years to get a decent attendance number.

But it's none of my business though.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
They were close to relocation in the 80's too until Mario Lemiuex showed up. I think the Caps were also on the verge of relocating to Seattle in the early 80's.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
They were close to relocation in the 80's too until Mario Lemiuex showed up. I think the Caps were also on the verge of relocating to Seattle in the early 80's.

It'd be cool to see Seattle get a team though hopefully not at the expense of our local team.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It'd be cool to see Seattle get a team though hopefully not at the expense of our local team.

My guess is they would be the 32nd team IF they ever get their Arena issue taken care of and actually build the thing. I think the NHL has wanted a team in Seattle for a long time and probably would have done so had they actually built a new building back in the 90's instead of renovating the out-dated KeyArena.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
^ I'm looking for the wishful thinking in that logic, but I don't see it. Which is weird because it's been a pretty long time since an optimistic prediction for this team didn't involve wishful thinking.

They've been playing decently well for long enough that it doesn't seem like a streak anymore. Barring catastrophic injuries (which is a dangerous assumption), there's no reason to think they can't stay at this level long term. So yeah, 98 points seems like a fair goal for them. And if that's not enough for playoffs, then it's just not meant to be.

This level includes #1 by far on the PK, and 19 of 20 points at home. There's a little reason to think they can't stay at this level long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad