Proposal: Brooksie Orpik to NYR

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
This isn't the late 90's. The Rangers aren't interested in overpaid garbage players who used to be good.
To be honest, this kinda persisted until Sather was officially gone from GM duties... Maybe not the the effect that it was in the late 90's and early 2000's, but it was still there sporadically

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Make Florida's 2nd into the Caps 1st in this draft and I would likely do it.
1yr of Orpik and another first. Cap isn't an issue and maybe he mentors the kids.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Don’t forget that Jay Wells was the 4th player to get the Cup with the Rangers and for some reason Kevin Lowe was the 2nd

it likely isn't about how good skillwise a player is, it is about what their teammates think about their character.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
1st has to be in the deal, not negotiable.

If not, I'm fine without Orpik. I don't want him on the team anyway. He doesn't make sense for the Rangers.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I can't see a divisional team helping any team in cap situations it just doesn't make sense to help a team sign their better players to have to play against them 5-6 times a year. This is why Orpik to NYR doesn't make sense to me. As a Canucks fan I'd easily take on Orpik for a 2nd and send back MDZ if you want a replacement defender.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
This isn't the late 90's. The Rangers aren't interested in overpaid garbage players who used to be good.

Yeah the guy who led the playoffs in +/-, was a top PK defenseman and ko'd the half of the opposing teams that Tom Wilson didn't, such garbage wow.

Last thing we'd want is Orpik setting the Rangers blueline prospects straight the way he did for the caps.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I can't see a divisional team helping any team in cap situations it just doesn't make sense to help a team sign their better players to have to play against them 5-6 times a year. This is why Orpik to NYR doesn't make sense to me. As a Canucks fan I'd easily take on Orpik for a 2nd and send back MDZ if you want a replacement defender.

This could actually be a win-win, perhaps Vancouver could retain on MDZ if they don't care about cap space so the caps have even more wiggle room.

Though the only real reason to trade Orpik is to sign Carlson, and if Carlson costs over 9 million then it doesn't make sense to sign him period.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
This could actually be a win-win, perhaps Vancouver could retain on MDZ if they don't care about cap space so the caps have even more wiggle room.

Though the only real reason to trade Orpik is to sign Carlson, and if Carlson costs over 9 million then it doesn't make sense to sign him period.
Just signing Carlson in general I would think. Let's take the low end and give Bowey 1M, Kemny 1M, Carlson 8M and Wilson 3M. That's 13 of your 15M in cap space available already without moving Orpik. You would still need to add a DSP and Beagle replacement and a backup goalie- that gets pretty tight with only 2M or so wiggle room.

I'd easily retain on MDZ as he has only 1 year left, but the cost would go up. At 50% that would still save the Capitals 4M in cap space and likely allow one of DSP or Beagle to be retained. I wouldn't be expecting a 1st instead of the 2nd but maybe your 4th to replace ours?
MDZ @50% for Orpik, FLA 2nd and WSH 4th.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Just signing Carlson in general I would think. Let's take the low end and give Bowey 1M, Kemny 1M, Carlson 8M and Wilson 3M. That's 13 of your 15M in cap space available already without moving Orpik. You would still need to add a DSP and Beagle replacement and a backup goalie- that gets pretty tight with only 2M or so wiggle room.

I'd easily retain on MDZ as he has only 1 year left, but the cost would go up. At 50% that would still save the Capitals 4M in cap space and likely allow one of DSP or Beagle to be retained. I wouldn't be expecting a 1st instead of the 2nd but maybe your 4th to replace ours?
MDZ @50% for Orpik, FLA 2nd and WSH 4th.

I think we'd also replace Grubauer with a league min guy and save ~700k there. But Kempny floor is probably 3 million, he played like a legit top 4 D through a successful cup run. The value seems fair if you're open to the 4th being from a future draft.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Yes... all day. Free 2nd rd pick and then maybe another 2-4 rd pick when NYR retain and flip him to another team? For O'Gara and Halvorson?

No doubt. Send it over.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I think we'd also replace Grubauer with a league min guy and save ~700k there. But Kempny floor is probably 3 million, he played like a legit top 4 D through a successful cup run. The value seems fair if you're open to the 4th being from a future draft.
I'd prefer it to be this draft to replace the one Benning stupidly traded away- plus that's essentially a 5th rounder this year. You will already be recovering a pick or two from the Grubauer trade

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
The Caps will not do that. Orpik has been solid the second half of the season and despite his salary has not that much of a negative value. Actually by the trade deadline the guy has actually positive value as team look to strengthen their defense, with a player that can eat up minutes especially in PK.
I am not the biggest fan of the +- stat but dominating that stat in the Playoffs has some value

Lets see what happens to Carlson first. Caps make decisions after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad