Proposal: Brooksie Orpik to NYR

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Rob O'Gara is a borderline NHLer and Rangers have to many goalie prospects as it is. 2nd round pick to take on a Brooksie for 1 year is so nice for Rangers.

Capitals need that freed up money. Leonsis is like Melnyk, won't go to salary cap.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
As a Ranger fan I'd probably say yes to this. I may prefer to send someone like Adam Tambellini vs Rob O'Gara who played well to finish last season but the 2nd i probably fair value to take on that $5.5m cap hit

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
NYR- Orpik (1 yr left 5.5m), Panthers 2nd round pick 2018

WAS- Rob O'Gara, Brandon Halvorson

Salary dump for WSH to get John Carlson signed.

Yes to some variant of this that returns 2nd round pick [what we used for Halvy] and sends us expiring Orpik. I don't have a problem with O'Gara but I would want either more for eating the cap or for WAS to eat part of it.

Good overall effort.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Rob O'Gara is a borderline NHLer and Rangers have to many goalie prospects as it is. 2nd round pick to take on a Brooksie for 1 year is so nice for Rangers.

Capitals need that freed up money. Leonsis is like Melnyk, won't go to salary cap.

Uh, come again? You couldn't be more wrong. Washington spends to the cap every year. Leonsis is paying a luxury tax bill for the Wizards in the NBA this year for spending over the cap.

As for the OP, this is much better than the other Orpik to NYR proposal that had Orpik + WSH 2018 1st round pick + WSH 2019 1st pick heading to NYR for a 2nd and 3rd. That was... really terrible.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Capitals have. no need to do this. With cap now around 80 they have sufficient space/$ to resign Carlson 8x8, Kempny and Wilson. DSP and Beagle may be the casualties but they have younger speedier and cheaper guys coming up for those 4th line positions.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He doesn't have enough term to make his deal bad enough for the Caps to attach a first to move him.

And it seems like they love him there - I thought it was absolutely bonkers, but they handed him the cup before Carlson and Holtby.

Reactions: third man in

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

This is what happens when you believe the narrative that the Caps were too cheap to resign Trotz and not that they didn't really want him anymore.

Explain to me how you think a team that doesn't spend to the cap has won 3 President Trophies and 1 Stanley Cup in the last 8 years?

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
To all fans of rebuilding teams like Rangers, Red Wings, Canadians etc, do you ever get the feeling that since we are rebuilding teams that fans of competing teams feel that we should be required to help them out with their cap issues??? I never felt that any team should have taken Staal’s contract off our hands for a 2nd round pick just because they were rebuilding. Then they get annoyed at the fact someone would say what they are getting to take our cap dump would help the team. You really think your midround 2nd pick is worth it? People forget that in a rebuild ice time should be going to younger players to develop. We will have Staal eating up ice time and if we are going to have Orpik doing the same I want an extra 1st rounder floating around our system somewhere.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
He doesn't have enough term to make his deal bad enough for the Caps to attach a first to move him.

And it seems like they love him there - I thought it was absolutely bonkers, but they handed him the cup before Carlson and Holtby.

Don’t forget that Jay Wells was the 4th player to get the Cup with the Rangers and for some reason Kevin Lowe was the 2nd

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Brooks Orpik to the Rangers would be good fit but do the rangers want an old vet defensemen when they already have Shattenkirk and Staal?Orpik goes to Philly

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
NYR- Orpik (1 yr left 5.5m), Panthers 2nd round pick 2018

WAS- Rob O'Gara, Brandon Halvorson

Salary dump for WSH to get John Carlson signed.

Rangers aren't going to want other teams older garbage. Rangers could very well go with 4 rookies on defense if you consider Pionk a rookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad