Brookbank as RW...

No23

May 16, 2013
Only thing that is continued is the *****ing around here.

One would think that there is a bunch of players that became world beaters elsewhere which didn't get the chance with the Blackhawks reading some of the posts.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
What would sports be without discussion? Or "*****ing," if you'd rather call it that.

Maybe I'll just say...
"One would think Quenneville is a perfect paragon of hockey knowledge that can never, ever make mistakes reading some of the posts on here."

Nothing wrong with pointing out some negative things if they're there.
If you're at either extreme, you're wrong.

No23

May 16, 2013
What would sports be without discussion? Or "*****ing," if you'd rather call it that.

Maybe I'll just say...
"One would think Quenneville is a perfect paragon of hockey knowledge that can never, ever make mistakes reading some of the posts on here."

Nothing wrong with pointing out some negative things if they're there.
If you're at either extreme, you're wrong.

What's extreme about saying that there is good number of young home grown players that have found their place with the Blackhawks and that there isn't any ''mismanaged'' young player that have actually blown up somewhere else?

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
What's extreme about saying that there is good number of young home grown players that have found their place with the Blackhawks and that there isn't any ''mismanaged'' young player that have actually blown up somewhere else?

Referring to pointing out (perceived) coaching mistakes as "*****ing" is extreme.
The implication, of course, being that any negative opinion concerning something Quenneville did is inherently invalid.
Which is obviously a bit too far on the positive side.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But Q is BRILLIANT! With Brookbank playing only every @nd shift of the 3rd line and taking guys out with hits --he gets more physical on that line for HALF its shifts and gets more skill by putting KANE there on the other half of their shifts ..in effect he does not double shift him but he still gets in a bit more time...and look --it is working! Did you see the chemistry with Shaw and Bickell that Kane has? BUT he ALSO uses Kane in his reg. line 2 slot with the 2 kids BUT uses them slightly less minutes or more depending on how Saad and Pirri perform that night...In shuffling Kane over 2 lines but really only equal to about 1.5 the time he gets the best bang for thje buck and can give more or less time to eithher line 1 or line 2 depending on which line 'feels it" that night...gives Q more options...But using Brookbank in this "half the time of line 3 only" would be less effective than with the less size to pound opposimg d-men Morin and the Morin we know is more mistake-prone on reads ....Brookbank makes less mistakes ...the only way Morin MIGHT improve is with a lot more minutes of experienceBUT Q has no patience to giove him sufficient enough minutes to make mistakes learning on the job..so instead he sacrifices offense when Brookbank is on for his 3rd line shifts but gains more offense than Morin could give by playing Kane even half the time on alternating 3rd line shifts...This way he engages Kane even more into the game AND Kane has nowhwere to hide if he slacks because with only one line he could sau his linemates had a slacker night but playing on 2 lines stretches that excuse..so Kane therefore MUST perform well on at leadt SOME occaisions on either of his 2 lines...thus Q has brilliantly figured out not only ho to get more and better from Kane by giving him MORE duties over the equivalent of 1.5 lines but also manages tiring by Kane if like some teams do they DOUBLE SHIFT their big stars or top lines...this wway Q is managing his assets very well with this unique strategy...Anyway it seems to be working quite well and until it falters why would Q change it up?

Nothingman*

The schedule blows right now with how the games are spaced out. :cry:

That and the inordinate number of back to backs. The NHL hates the Hawks by the way they schedule them year after year. At least recent years. And 2 7 game road trips? I understand the one coming up but the other one??

SLarmer28*

With Kostka out and Rozsival's face a question mark, looks like Brookbank will go back on defense.

SLarmer28*

As for the third line right wing options:

Morin
Hayes
McNeill

No ..... Kyle Beach is NOT an option.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Welcome to the Hawks board, where we complain about players who play 6:47mins a night in Game 18 of the regular season.

Not saying that I disagree with your statement about the general tone of the board, your statement makes it sound like people are *****ing and moaning about Brookbank. I just completely fail to understand how playing Brookbank out of position instead of Morin improves the Hawks ability to win games. Q has a history of trying this, with a general lack of success. And even if it worked for a game, double shifting Kane doesn't seem like a viable long term strategy.

I respect Q, but this is a message board, and I don't understand why asking a question about a "unusual" decision on his part is seen as a negative. Obviously, Q knows more about hockey than everyone on the board, and sees Morin practice/play every day. From my perspective, I didn't see anything in Morin's game that would make me think that he had a bad attitude or wasn't coachable, but like I said - Q has more exposure than me.

It just seems like a really "odd" decision to me, which is why I posted the original question. Brookbank at the very best is going to "not hurt you", and there's almost no chance of a net positive contribution. Unless it was done to "send Morin a message", I can't beleive that Morin doesn't bring more to the table right now (especially against a soft team like the Oilers) than Brookbank.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Not saying that I disagree with your statement about the general tone of the board, your statement makes it sound like people are *****ing and moaning about Brookbank. I just completely fail to understand how playing Brookbank out of position instead of Morin improves the Hawks ability to win games. Q has a history of trying this, with a general lack of success. And even if it worked for a game, double shifting Kane doesn't seem like a viable long term strategy.

I respect Q, but this is a message board, and I don't understand why asking a question about a "unusual" decision on his part is seen as a negative. Obviously, Q knows more about hockey than everyone on the board, and sees Morin practice/play every day. From my perspective, I didn't see anything in Morin's game that would make me think that he had a bad attitude or wasn't coachable, but like I said - Q has more exposure than me.

It just seems like a really "odd" decision to me, which is why I posted the original question. Brookbank at the very best is going to "not hurt you", and there's almost no chance of a net positive contribution. Unless it was done to "send Morin a message", I can't beleive that Morin doesn't bring more to the table right now (especially against a soft team like the Oilers) than Brookbank.

It's a perfectly logical and legitimate question to raise. There's a difference between *****ing and asking questions for the sake of discussion.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
That and the inordinate number of back to backs. The NHL hates the Hawks by the way they schedule them year after year. At least recent years. And 2 7 game road trips? I understand the one coming up but the other one??

The back to backs have been an issue for as far back as I can remember. The long road trips suck for STH as well, games are too bunched up. You actually get tired of treking out to the UC 3 times per week.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Only thing that is continued is the *****ing around here.

One would think that there is a bunch of players that became world beaters elsewhere which didn't get the chance with the Blackhawks reading some of the posts.

Can you show where someone it *****ing? Because it seems like a reasonable discussion to me.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
As for the third line right wing options:

Morin
Hayes
McNeill

No ..... Kyle Beach is NOT an option.

I personally don't think the answer is in our organization. I think Stan will acquire a top 9 forward near the TD. Unless Morin can reach his potential before then.

SLarmer28*

Unless it was done to "send Morin a message", I can't beleive that Morin doesn't bring more to the table right now (especially against a soft team like the Oilers) than Brookbank.
With a player on the last year of his ELC, you send a message by shipping him down to the AHL. With a veteran, you send a message by shipping him to the press box.

SLarmer28*

I personally don't think the answer is in our organization. I think Stan will acquire a top 9 forward near the TD. Unless Morin can reach his potential before then.
If Morin is not the answer, trade Jeremy Morin & Kyle Beach to Florida for Drew Shore.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

I didnt say anything about there being a good reason for it (just speculated what the reason may be), I just don't see the need to complain about it when..

A) It's game #18
B) Its not even close to being a permanent thing
C) We have a young player for that role that needs to learn the system & defensive side of the game a little more
D) We have won every game with Brookbank at RW
E) He plays less than 7mins/GM @ RW
F) It's game #18

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Yup Stalberg, putting Bolland at 2C, putting Kruger at 2C, Keith with bigger PP minutes than Leddy, trying to force Brunette into a Top 6 role, bungling of the lineup last playoffs.

I think even you get the idea.

Stalberg is/was useless, as is/was Brouwer.

But let's continue to only point out the bad, without ever pointing out every good thing Q has done for the franchise.

Hawkaholic - I don't think that listing Q's "questionable" moves translate into some saying that he's a terrible coach. Instead I would say that Q is human like everyone else and while the play-off results are awesome, there have been some questionable moves with regard to the roster and icetime.

Only conclussion that makes sense from my perpsective based on what we know is that Morin wasn't responding to coaching well, and Q decided to "teach him a lesson". If that's true, it's not the first or last player that will happen too. I just thought it was interesting because I like Morin's compete level and what he accomplished on the ice.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If Morin is not the answer, trade Jeremy Morin & Kyle Beach to Florida for Drew Shore.

:laugh: The answer to everything doesnt start in FLA. Tallon wont cure all our problems. I'm all for trading Morin though if it nets us a seasoned, responsible player in return.

SLarmer28*

:laugh: The answer to everything doesnt start in FLA. Tallon wont cure all our problems. I'm all for trading Morin though if it nets us a seasoned, responsible player in return.
If you want a seasoned, responsible player in return, the Chicago Blackhawks will have to dump salary in a trade. Brookbank is the most expendable player on the roster making more than $1 million.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hawkaholic - I don't think that listing Q's "questionable" moves translate into some saying that he's a terrible coach. Instead I would say that Q is human like everyone else and while the play-off results are awesome, there have been some questionable moves with regard to the roster and icetime.

Only conclussion that makes sense from my perpsective based on what we know is that Morin wasn't responding to coaching well, and Q decided to "teach him a lesson". If that's true, it's not the first or last player that will happen too. I just thought it was interesting because I like Morin's compete level and what he accomplished on the ice.

MM is always harping on Q. If it were one of most other posters, I wouldn't have taken it as such. He dislikes Q, for whatever reason.

Of course Q is human, of course he makes mistakes. But hes a top coach in our game, and has helped bring us 2 recent cups. You can complain about certain things all you want, I will only defend when someone calls him a terrible coach, maybe that's why it seems like I think he can do no harm.

Some see his very minor changes, and call him out as a terrible coach. Changes that wont make a difference in a game 99% of the time, I could care less about. Like Brookbank skating for 7mins at RW, Bollig over useless playoff Stalberg, and letting kids adjust, learn the system and defensive responsibilities before giving them big roles are examples.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If you want a seasoned, responsible player in return, the Chicago Blackhawks will have to dump salary in a trade. Brookbank is the most expendable player on the roster making more than $1 million.

Not necessarily, currently we can acquire a player making 2.7 at the deadline without dumping anyone. We can send down Mills and have another couple hundred thousand.

And I would prefer to keep 8 solid Dmen on the roster, in case of injury. Brookbank is OK as a 6/7 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad